40 lb tanks won't fit my LM365 Ashland

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
After blowing through 30 lb tanks this winter. I thought I would upgrade to a couple of 40 lbs. Unfortunately even though 40s are an option they won't fit with the factory location of the switchover valve. Guess I will need to relocate it.
73170ccaa231ceafe8bd6bc2c2262e77.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Hi Bill,

While this won't help you, it may help future buyers. I've turned this issue into the plant so they can look into this right away.

On your install, are you saying your tank cannot be strapped into place as it can't fit deep enough into the compartment without hitting the auto-changeover regulator?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine was the same way, Just moved it to the back wall. I put a 90 male to female 1/4" pipe elbow on the left side ten go into your front storage bay and pull all of the extra rubber propane line over to that side to give you the extra length.
Also Jim I think the new Landmarks are coming with the 40 pound tanks already. or is it just an option.
Looks like I didn't have the male-female 90° at the time but that's what I would look for
8e1ff639d64cde9f517dc56ed21d3624.jpg

80ae8e27b56c47787d460ce497e12f1b.jpg

1aa1a73eab51c8c18acec79d2dd25638.jpg

billyjoeraybob

Hi Bill,

While this won't help you, it may help future buyers. I've turned this issue into the plant so they can look into this right away.

On your install, are you saying your tank cannot be strapped into place as it can't fit deep enough into the compartment without hitting the auto-changeover regulator?

Thanks Jim. You are correct the compartment is not deep enough with the regulator in it's current location behind the tanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jerrod! I like your suggestion. I am thinking I can also just move the regulator to the left on the same wall it is currently located and reverse the locations of the output lines. It's nice to have options! Thanks guys!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I thought all landmarks came with 40# tanks

I remember that Tom Montague said they reduced the porpane tank size from 40 to 30 because with an induction cooktop, there was less dependency on propane. Also it was a weight-saving feature, and lifting the 40# tanks was a burden on the owner.

jbeletti

The factory website is not operating correctly tonight for me to check, but I did review the most recent LM 365 MSRP document and I do see 40# tanks listed as standard again.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz100.jpg
I received my current LM 365 demo coach when 30# tanks were standard. My opinion is that unless an owner has a real use case for the 40s, that the 30s are sure easier on the neck, shoulders and back. That comes from my experience of slinging 40s around for 10 years before slinging the 30s around. We use our generator every travel day at lunch time - and we have a LOT of travel days. We use the furnace for heat when we have evenings below 40 degrees. We have a fair amount of those.

That all said, I don't find myself refilling my 30s too often. I like them. If my next demo coach is standard with 40s, I may request 30s as it fits our use case better.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would think that while ordering the Generator, it should have 40s standard. I know this is not the OPs issue but just an observation. Since the generator does use a lot of LP.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I would think that while ordering the Generator, it should have 40s standard. I know this is not the OPs issue but just an observation. Since the generator does use a lot of LP.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

A logical response Michael. Variables are one's propane consumption balanced with one's desire/capability to haul 40# tanks by hand.

We fill our 30# tanks maybe 4 times a year. Everyone's needs are different.

Bones

I have the 30's. They last all season for me until I get to colder weather. I agree the 40's are heavier. You might be able to use composite tanks to lessen the weight but they are a little pricey

- - - Updated - - -

Well I checked the Viking Cylinders page and they have removed the 40 pound tank. The last time I checked they did say it was not in demand. I'm sure you could find out if they would still make them. I don't know the height though.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Variables are one's propane consumption

Everyone's needs are different.

Agreed and propane is readily available in most parts of the country. On our 4 month trip last year (mid April to mid August) across the north of the US then to Alaska and back we had little trouble finding propane. Over that period we purchased (used slightly more) 42 gallons (6 -30#ers) at an average price of $3.01/gal ($5.23 in Fairbanks-$1.65 in Kalispell MT)
I thought about upgrading to 40's but the replacement cost of the tanks nixed that along with easy availability.
I can still manhandle the extra weight and will refuse to admit I can't !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Agreed and propane is readily available in most parts of the country. On our 4 month trip last year (mid April to mid August) across the north of the US then to Alaska and back we had little trouble finding propane. Over that period we purchased (used slightly more) 42 gallons (6 -30#ers) at an average price of $3.01/gal ($5.23 in Fairbanks-$1.65 in Kalispell MT)
I thought about upgrading to 40's but the replacement cost of the tanks nixed that along with easy availability.
I can still manhandle the extra weight and will refuse to admit I can't !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree. Most of all the parks I have been too have propane. If I am home and know I need fuel I will weight the tanks to figure out how much I need then take them to my local fill station and have them topped off before my trip. And yes everyone's needs are different. We like to have our coach warm when it is cold outside so that uses more fuel. I typically use only one tank and keep the other tank closed. When I am running the heater I turn the other tank on and keep checking the switch for an empty tank. turn the switch to the full tank and remove and fill the empty tank.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very true Jim. I don't think we fill our 40s that much. I don't mind the 30s, since I don't use the generator very often. But knowing I have a days use out of it when needed, makes them worth having to me. So yes an option is fine. Just hope the buyer is aware of the added use when using the genny.

jbeletti

With regard to the timeline on Landmark Propane Tank sizes, here's what I was able to put together based on memory and for the current item, from Andy:

• Production on 5-Oct-2015 (starting with VIN 311314): 40# tanks once again standard
  • ~May 2014 (with the launch of LM 365: 30# tanks standard
  • 2004 production to ~May 2014: 40# tanks standard

billyjoeraybob

Well my Landmark was built in the September '14 timeframe so mine was standard with 30s. We camp at least 2 weekends a month year round. We have the gas stove instead of the induction cooktop. So in the winter with cooking and heating, we go through some propane. That furnace burns a lot of propane to heat a rig of this size. Our Sundance which did not have near the interior volume was kinder on the propane use, but our Landmark not so much. When I win the Cheapheat drawing at the SE Regional Rally, It won't be such an issue. LOL

Bohemian

Just a point of information for those concerned with weight. A full 40# aluminum tank weighs aboutbthe same as a full 30# steel tank.

Wellington makes an aluminum tank. Has an option for a remote fill sensor.