Heartland 3800RLB 5th wheel

kableguy007

Any body out have the new Heartland 3800RLB? I would like compare dry weights, the factory claims a dry weight of 13,830 lbs. I recently weighed mine and with average items loaded the unit weighs 17,100 lbs. or about 1,600 lbs over "max weight" of 15,500 lbs. I wish I would have weighed the unit before loading it up to get the true dry weight!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Normally the listed dry weight of a rig is before any options are installed.
If you look on the door jamb of your Gateway you will see a yellow sticker. That will give you the weight as it left the factory.
Curious as to where you found the factory claimed dry weight. Looking at the HRV's site it still shows it as a new floor plan with no weights listed.
Oh, congratulations on your new Gateway.

Peace
Dave

kableguy007

As you have mentioned, the Heartland web site site says "TBD" under specs. I had to call them to get it, reason I asked the question is partly because they have not published the dry weight and I'm a bit concerned about my loaded weight with just average items loaded. The yellow stick says 13,722, I find it very difficult to believe my unit as it sits weighs 17,580 LBS! I am looking for folks out there to share if they have dry-weighed their 3800RLB's? In addition the pin box says not to exceed 15,500 LBS.

My axle weights are 13,620 LBS or 120 LBS over weight, my pin box weight is 3,960 LBS = 17,580 LBS.

Either Heatland is wrong about the dry weight or the CAT scale is wrong?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your pin weight seems a little high. How did you arrive at that number.
In your first post you said you weighed your rig and it weighed 17,100 pounds. Your most recent post with the axle weight and pin weight listed total up to be 17,580 pounds.
How are you arriving at 120 pounds over on the trailer axles? Tire rating? Axle rating?
Get a re-weigh at that CAT scale of your truck only. Then get a weight of your rear axle, steer axle and trailer axles all while hitched up.
Once you have all of those numbers subtract the truck only weight from the truck hitched weight. That will be your pin weight.
Add the pin weight to the trailer axles weight and that will be the weight of the trailer.

Peace
Dave

kableguy007

Truck and Trailer Weight.jpgTruck Weight.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, I misspoke on my first post concerning the weights. I did weigh the truck first and then both units together to get the weights I mentioned on my last post, weight slips attached.

The 3800RLB has axle ratings of 6,750 LBS, not sure about the tire load rating I will get that later today. My concern is that the weights seem high according to the yellow factory stickers on my unit. Just wanting to know if other folks out there have weighed their 3800RLB's?

Thank you for your feedback so far:)

danemayer

The yellow stick says 13,722

Either Heartland is wrong about the dry weight

the factory claims a dry weight of 13,830 lbs.

kableguy007,

The yellow sticker is created by weighing the trailer just before it rolls out the factory door. That is the actual weight at that time.

If your dealer made any modifications to the trailer, that could have increased the actual weight. For example, adding an air conditioner, a generator, washer/dryer, extra battery, all could add significantly to the empty weight.

As for the dry weight provided to you by Heartland, if it hasn't been published yet, that's probably an approximation. Also, the factory dry weight spec often doesn't include everything that ships with the unit. Heartland creates packages that are "forced options" but may not be included in that spec. That seems to be an industry practice that allows the manufacturer to offer private labeled versions of the RV that may not include those same features.

Keep in mind that water weighs about 8 lbs / gallon. A full fresh tank will add nearly 800 lbs. A full water heater about 100 lbs. Full propane tanks add 80 lbs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I still question the weights. And as you said in post #3 " I find it very difficult to believe my unit as it sits weighs 17,580 LBS!". I do too, as well as I find it difficult to believe that your pin weight is at 3,960 with just your average items packed. Do you have a generator, extra battery or washer and dryer?
What truck are you towing this with?
I'm guessing that you have E rated tires which would account for the 15,500 max rating.

Peace
Dave

kableguy007

3800RLB Specs.JPG3800RLB Dry Weight.JPG
Thank you for your feedback, I have attached the spec information sticker for review. In addition my primary concern are the axle weights and GCVW rating which far above the 15,500 LB rating.

Attachments

• 3800RLB Dry Weight.JPG
    3800RLB Dry Weight.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 32

kableguy007

I have a 2016 Dodge 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins and a 4.10 rear end. 14k total weight capacity with a 31,000 trailer capacity. The only item I've added is a washer dryer, it weighs 250 LBS.

caissiel

I never use CAT scales. They are setup for 80000 lbs trucks and will always indicate heavier on small weights. I lost my money on the 1 st try and will not use them again.
Try to use the highway scales might be better.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
the door sticker weight should include all the option, they say the last thing out the door is that it is weighed, of course this would not include dealer options

Bones

According to Ram's website the curb weight of the truck should be about 8319 lbs. I don't think the scales are that far off. The extra weight could be from the person hitch and extras in the truck. Have you go over everything you put in your camper? Did you have a lot of weight in the fridge? were you carrying full tanks?

kableguy007

Thank you for your replies, yes my truck has an external fuel tank and fifth wheel hitch that accounts for the extra truck weight, my issue is with the trailer weight:( I am going on a trip to St.Augustine this weekend and I will get it reweighed. I will reply back with the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Yes I am real interested in what your unloaded weight is. Make sure you take everything out. that is loose and your not carrying water or full waste tanks

guyc66