How much heartland can I tow??

bgscott

Hi guys,

I am currently researching which 5th wheel to buy and I have been watching this forum for a while. I must say that the positive response to heartland trailers combined with a friends experience with his 3200 es has me leaning toward heartland.

I have just purchased an 07 4x4 diesel F250 Ford, how big of a fifth wheeler can I safely tow? I am pretty conservative when towing and don't want to buy more camper than this truck can easily handle. I have never towed a fifth wheel so I don't know what to expect. what do you guys suggest?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You should calculate using your GVRW for the truck and the Gross Combined Carrying Weight Capacity of the truck. Include the weight of passengers, fuel and any cargo plus an approximate pin weight of the 5th wheel. A rule of thumb I read in Trailer Life is to plan on hauling 80% of your Max trailer capacity. That being said, there are a good number of folks on the road that are overloaded. Be as safe as you can be. A Sundance should keep you within your capacities and they are very nice trailers.

fyrwlker

3370RL'ers
2006 6.0 PS F250 and a Bighorn 3370 (14,000 GVW)

I pull a 2007 Bighorn 3370 with my F250 Crewcab SB with the 6.0 PS and have had zero problems with any grades, either up or down. Get what you want, it will pull it! ;)

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Ray gave you some sound advice. I personally would shop for something 34 feet or less then check the published weights of the trailer you like against the the manufacturers published towing weights for your tow vehicle. No one knows more about what weights you can safely tow than the manufacturer of your truck. Many out there are towing far more weight than is recommended with their tow vehicle and that is a personal opinion that they made, this is only my opinion.

Don

RubiconAg

I second Goldenwingers opinion.....Trucks these days, 1/2 Ton all the 1/-1/4 Ton "can" tow just about anything out there, but doing it correctly and safely is a whole different ideology.

Check with your truck manufactuer and cross it with the different trailer weight catagories..

(Someone correct me if I am wrong with my thinking)

Ours:
2001 Ford F350 SRW W/Exhaust brake GCWR = 20,000 LBS (Trailer rating of 12,800)

GVWR = 7,200 lbs
GVW= 6850 LBS (Loaded with passengers and gear)

2008 BC 2950

GVWR = 14,000 lbs
GVW = 12,240 lbs (75gal water, gear for 1 week)

Sum this up,
Truck weight + trailer weight = Gross Combined Weight
6,850 + 12,240 = 19,040 lbs GCW

Toughts:
We are under our 12,800 lbs towing capacity and 960lbs under our GCWR.
However, we are over the ratings of the allowable trailer towing capacity. Our truck is rated to tow 12,800 and our trailer is rated at 14,000lbs. This would all come down to an officer or jury discretion should anything ever happen or if we get stopped. I am completely ok with our setup, the weights, and the additional help of the exhaust braking system.

mmflytie

I glad to hear about your confidence in pulling with your F250. I'm more interested in how it respnds when you hit the brakes at 55 mph , since I too am thinking of using the same truck to pull a 3370 Bighorn.

Thanks , your advice is greatly appreciated.

Marc Morgan

wdk450

Towling Guides

Sir:
Here is a link to the Trailer Life Magazine Towing guide, whose data is taken from the manufacturers.
http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

Here is a calculator:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

I have seen postings on other RV forums about how a truck may be ABLE to tow a certain weight trailer, but not be rated for it. This might come out to be a denied insurance claim and/or driving citation in case of an accident. One poster talked of a friend who was being prosecuted for manslaughter due to a fatal accident with an overloaded truck (along with civil judgements for everything he owned).

Bill Knight
Sacramento

truknutt

Committed Member
Hi guys,

I am currently researching which 5th wheel to buy and I have been watching this forum for a while. I must say that the positive response to heartland trailers combined with a friends experience with his 3200 es has me leaning toward heartland.

I have just purchased an 07 4x4 diesel F250 Ford, how big of a fifth wheeler can I safely tow? I am pretty conservative when towing and don't want to buy more camper than this truck can easily handle. I have never towed a fifth wheel so I don't know what to expect. what do you guys suggest?

Here is the link to Ford's 2007 Towing Guide. Page 17 will have your F-250 information. You have to know what gearing you have and of course, use the listing for the appropriate transmission and cab configuration for fifth wheel towing.

REMEMBER: These are generic figures; you should always use the numbers on your truck's ID sticker/plate for accuracy.

'Nutt

markandrenita

I have seen postings on other RV forums about how a truck may be ABLE to tow a certain weight trailer, but not be rated for it. This might come out to be a denied insurance claim and/or driving citation in case of an accident. One poster talked of a friend who was being prosecuted for manslaughter due to a fatal accident with an overloaded truck (along with civil judgements for everything he owned).

Bill Knight
Sacramento[/quote]

The answer above is an urban myth. It never happened allthough it is often times stated as to have occurred. The only weight you legally have to watch is the 26000 combined weight you are allowed by federal law.

Same with insurance.

We are legally and safely pulling and stopping a 3400rl with our 2006 2500 hd duramax/allison. We have been over 9 mountain passes in the last year, including towing down Sylvan Pass east of Yellowstone! Stopping at 55 or 65 is no problem.