brand new owner needs refrigerator help

mtlulay

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, so if not i'm sorry and i will get it right next time. LOL.
We just purchased a 2009 Big Country 3500, it was delivered to us and we have moved into it over the weekend, we are using it as our home as my husband works const. and since this is memorial weekend we had no one to ask about this at the dealership.
the 1 question (for now) I have is the refergerator is not switching over to 12 v. it is staying on gas, is there something we are over looking as a switch or something? they said it would switch over automaticly.:confused:

Also this is our first time in a 5th wheel so this is all new to us.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmyt5

Make sure that the button on top is pushed into automatic, then it should switch to ac if you are on shore power..

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
There might be some confusion. I don't believe the refridgerators will operate on 12volt. I could be wrong as I have a Bighorn, but the dealer told me I had a 3 way fridge (12v,110v, gas), but he was in error and I knew that when he told me. They either operate on 110 volt from shore power, or in the absence of shore power they should switch automatically to gas operation. If, in fact, you are plugged in to shore power, and it is not switching to 110volt, I am not sure that I have an answer for you as to why not. Have you checked the owners manual and do you have it set to "Auto" mode?
Fred

Shadowchek

When we did our walk through ours wouldn't switch over to electricity when it was on auto. The tech checked it out and the gfi was tripped in the bedroom by the sink he reset it and it switched over. No more problems since.

Greg

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
When we did our walk through ours wouldn't switch over to electricity when it was on auto. The tech checked it out and the gfi was tripped in the bedroom by the sink he reset it and it switched over. No more problems since.

Greg

Greg:
Thanks for that bit of info. I wasn't aware that the fridge was on that gfci, I thought only the plugs were. I will file that away in my memory banks. Now if I can just recall it when I need it. lol :rolleyes:
Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The fridge itself does not operate on 12 volt but there are systems within the fridge that need 12 volts to operate. The low ambient temp control, climate control and light are all 12volt. Keeping that in mind if you park somewhere and are not on 110, make sure the switches in the top area of the freezer door are off. If you are not plugged into 110 the fridge will only operate on gas and not switch over if on auto. Check to see if the fridge is plugged in in the outer access panel. there are also some 12v fuses out there but I have no idea what they are for. If you have the owners manual, you might check the troubleshooting section. Hope this helps.