So Many to Choose From...

There are so many GPS to choose from. Please let me know what everyone is using? I am purchasing. BH 3970RD and need one for the drive home and future travel. Thanks!

danemayer

Hi roamfaraway,

We've been using a Garmin RV 760 LMT for several years and highly recommend it. I've attached a detailed review of the 760 written by Bob Curry, another Heartland owner, for the Heartland Highlights Newsletter.

Attachments

• Garmin RV 760 Bob Curry Review 2014Q3.pdf
    835.3 KB · Views: 37

rdufek

While the Garmin RV 760 LMT has great reviews, it appears to be retired by Garmin. The 760 has been replaced with the RV 660 LMT which the most noticeable difference will be the smaller screen. Rand McNally just came out with an Android RV tablet 80 which has a built-in camera the can be used as a dash camera. Though I have mixed emotions on that it could be very beneficial. Unfortunately there are not many reviews on the tablet yet. I'm with you roamfaraway, I would be interested in more input on this topic from fellow HO. Though a RV GPS would be nice, I wonder if just sticking with google maps and the app Waze would be sufficient. I have Nav built into my 2014 Ram but to get live traffic and weather from Sirius XM is a pretty hefty expense. Hope to hear more from others.

Bob and Valerie Dufek

And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
HOC # 2858

mlpeloquin

We use the Good Sam GPS by Rand McNally. At the time Garmin did not make an RV GPS. They do now. The MCNally has a big enough screen and performs well. Put your fifth wheel height, width, length, along with you preferences like avoid tunnels, toll roads, etc.. We wanted a Garmin because we always had Garmins and liked the way they worked. So far after four years the Rand McNally has more than met out expectations.

danemayer

If you don't want to spring for a dedicated RV GPS, an alternative would be GPS CoPilot running on an iPad or Android Tablet. The free version is good. For a few dollars, you can add voice directions. The RV profile goes up to 13', so you still may want to review your planned routing for low clearances using a Truck Atlas or Low Clearance app.

You do need a tablet with GPS chip, not always included with WiFi-only devices. Internet connection is not required, but if your phone will operate as a hotspot, you can connect the tablet to your phone to get on the internet. That gives you access to Google and Yelp with integration of the search results into the program.

I recall at least one person has upgraded to the truck version of the app which adds a bunch of useful function, but is a bit pricey for an app. Still, much less expensive than a comparable standalone RV/Truck GPS.

I tested the voice nav version on my iPad for a number of trips, side-by-side with the Garmin. While I preferred the display on the iPad, I liked the Garmin routing better and found that to be more important to me. But of course I already had the Garmin unit. If I hadn't, I might be using GPS CoPilot today.

- - - Updated - - -

While the Garmin RV 760 LMT has great reviews, it appears to be retired by Garmin. The 760 has been replaced with the RV 660 LMT which the most noticeable difference will be the smaller screen.

The Garmin website leads with the 660, but you can still purchase the 760 from Garmin, even though they refer to it as a prior model. So apparently they're leading with the 660 but haven't discontinued the 760. And of course it's less expensive to buy it from Amazon.

Gaffer

GPS can lead you down the wrong path on occasion. You can and should check out Google Maps, Street View and satellite view on occasion to plan your route. I do the street view and satellite view often when planning a fuel stop. You can get a pretty good idea of access, egress, clearance, medians in the street and just keep that GPS honest. Since points of interest on the GPS are only as good as the data base and it's age, you can get almost instant routing many places that are not even in the GPS by telling your Droid to "Navigate to..." after selecting voice search on the phones home screen.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Rand McNally RVND 5510, which is three years old now, and while it has taken me down the wrong path a couple of times, it has mostly been a great asset!

When we had a trailer wheel bearing burn up on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner in the middle of rush hour traffic in Phoenix, AZ last year, I punched up local RV repair shops on the screen and found one less than a mile away from where we were pulled off of the highway (Sun City RV).

When I do replace it I probably will get another Rand McNally GPS, but with a larger screen as the old eyes have a hard time with the small print on that 5-inch screen.

danemayer

The weakness in all GPS-based and in fact all mapping systems is the map data. The directions and mapping display are all based on the location coordinates in the map data and I'm pretty sure most routing problems arise from data errors.

My understanding is that most of the GPS manufacturers use map data from the same company, and therefore share the same errors.

It's important to get a GPS with lifetime map updates and to update them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It's important to get a GPS with lifetime map updates and to update them.

Yes . . .

I got mine as a Christmas present, and didn't come with the lifetime maps

By adding the price of the lifetime maps . . . this made total cost for my model $40 more than the higher model with the bigger screen and free lifetime maps.