Are RV & Tire Covers Necessary?

I've read a few articles and watched videos where some people are saying owners should invest in RV covers and tire covers. What are your thoughts? Which brands are preferred?

Manzan

Tire covers--yes. RV covers--lots of discussion pro and con. If in a windy area, no. Tend to wear through the edges of a rubber roof. Does keep it clean though. One rig I covered, this one I have not covered. Still in very good condition.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree with tire covers to prevent UV damage. I always covered my first SOB 5'er and after first winter covered the cover it self ripped on seams from wind and on top corners from movement. My last BH and now my Landmark don't cover but at the same time they are stored in an open area with no trees. A good late season wax helps keep unit clean and prep for Spring cleaning. Under trees I would think a cover might be necessary to prevent stains from leaves and twigs and possible damage from falling limbs. So it is all up to your storage area and personal preference.

TxCowboy

Totally agree with the tire covers. Protects the wheels and tires from the elements. When you wash your rig, remove these covers and wash/treat the tires and wheels.

As for an RV cover, no idea.

GWRam

I've read a few articles and watched videos where some people are saying owners should invest in RV covers and tire covers. What are your thoughts? Which brands are preferred?
Definitely cover the tires.
We have the ADCO double axle Tyre Gard Wheel covers, they have worked well for us, stay in place even in heavy winds. ADCO has a variety to choose from.
As far as the RV cover goes, some people swear by them, others just swear at them.
Of the 5 campers stored near ours with covers, 4 of the 5 are torn and shredded after 4 months of use.

mlpeloquin

If you don't want the UV rays to eat them up, cover them while in storage or store inside. I cannot afford the second option. My covers are two years old and not torn. I use bungi cords to hold them tight.

F_Goose

Personally, I would cover what you can. Tires are easier to cover, but also cheaper to replace than your RV surface. When we were looking for a trailer we looked at several just a couple years old before we bought new. The sun exposure had done some terrible things to the finish in just 2 years. I know after I wash/wax our TT and then cover, the finish will be as I had just cleaned it many months later. I covered our previous MH and even after 6 years it preserved the finish.

We have had an ADCO and a Classic cover. Just know that you will probably have to replace every 2-3 years, but well worth the investment.

Gaffer

I would not recommend RV covers in wet climates like the NW. Even with the best quality covers with Sunbrella fabric you can get too much condensation and moisture across the ceiling of your rig even with dual pane windows and a vet or two partially open. If you choose to do this in a wet climate, be sure to run a dehumidifier and drain it frequently.

macjj

Concur with recommendation made. RV tires rarely wear out due to Mileage, but always will need replacement because the side walls crack due to UV exposure. Live in sunny CA, tire covers a must. RV covers a recommendation, however they are large, heavy, and cumbersome. Make sure the straps under the carriage are used to prevent winds taking it away. ADCO makes a good one, however I have had to replace a couple times before warranty expired due to tears. ADCO has been accommodating. Most tears happen around the gutter spouts, so I drilled 3/4 holes in some whiffle balls and placed them over the spouts to reduced the stress, no issues for 4 years. I remove the cover at least once a year (when dry), let the roof sit for a day, then clean and seal the rubber roof. After 24 hours of natural drying, I replace the cover. A lot of work, but after 4 years, the coach still looks good. If you can, install a hard cover, but I would still use the tire covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattman

I think fit is a key essential to this. I bought a adco cover this spring when I purchased my TT. The one I had on my mini lite fit it fantastic. My North Trail. Not so much. That tappered front leaves a lot of slack. I haven't made my mind up if I like it or not. I am in Michigan and most days seem rainny, or windy. But I know we can get sun as well. I want it covered, but really want to see it fit better. So I will either need to modify it, or leave it off. Not sure yet. But I know I am leaving my wheel covers on.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We cover our tires if we will be stationary for over a week. For 1-4 days no. Also we have never used an RV cover because they have a tendancy to blow in the wind and rub on the RV finish. Also we store our RV outside in our driveway and we are gone most of the time.

Bogie

I always cover my tires when in storage. I also cover the RV during winter storage. To mitigate the potential for the cover rubbing the edges of the roof, i use swimming noodles. I slit them length wise and use them as corner covers on the roof. I hold them in place with custom straps I made out of webbing with velcro sewed onto the ends of the straps. Each strap runs over the top and down around the bottom. Then I put the cover on. The noodles also help protect the cover from ripping on the gutter ends. Had the cover two winters now and only had minor rips that we were able to sew up.