Anyone weighed a Cylcone 3210?

davelinde

We have a Cyclone 3210 on order and will be driving 750 miles to pick it up.

I was able to hitch up to a 3210 at a dealer and it "only" squatted my truck 3" which has me guessing I'm at about a 2500# pin. However neigh sayers are telling me to expect a 3000# pin. I do not want to tow home 750 miles over my tire ratings, but I'm not convinced I need to upgrade anything yet.

If anyone has a 3210 weighed, PLEASE let me know the trailer gross and pin please.

Thanks! (btw - I'll happily post mine in July when I pick it up and weigh it)

Dirt1st

I have a Cyclone 3210 that I purchased a little over a year ago. Took it straight from the dealer to the scales. As delivered it had a pin weight of 2740 lbs, about 600 lbs over what the literature says. The empty trailer weighed 12,300, about 2,400 lbs more that Heartland advertises.

davelinde

Just looked back here now... the only post is dead on.

Just picked ours up

12,660# gross with a minimal tools/luggage, a genset, some water, propane and some gasoline. Easily half a ton more than advertised.

Pin 2650# or 21%

It's straining our SRW Cummins a little more than I'd hoped before we even load it up.

truknutt

Committed Member
If you add weight behind the Cyclone's rear axle it will lessen the pin weight; by how much I can't say 'cause I slept through Physics class in school!!

Anybody have their pocket sliderule handy?!!!

davelinde

If you add weight behind the Cyclone's rear axle it will lessen the pin weight; by how much I can't say 'cause I slept through Physics class in school!!

Anybody have their pocket sliderule handy?!!!

I learned this in a class called "Statics" and it was one of my favorite classes. You draw up a little force vector diagram and apply the rules to solve it.

Actually, pin weight is not my biggest problem towing this... I can't prove it but I think the added height is harder to pull.

Dirt1st

Cyclone 3210 Weight

I have towed my 3210 about 6000 miles. I have a 03 Duramax/Allison, and it pulls the fully loaded Cyclone fine. When we left on vacation last year, I took the fully loaded rig to the scales. The loaded trailer was close to 15,000 lbs. The combination was about 200 lbs under the maximum GCVWR for the truck, so I guess I'll be alright as long as my wife and my dog don't gain too much weight. I don't remember what the loaded pin weight was, but even loading a motorcycle and an ATV in the garage along with assorted dutch ovens, tools and spares, and other camping gear, I don't remember that the pin weight got much lighter. The stuff loaded in the garage is pretty close to the axles, and so doesn't have much of a lever arm to change the pin weight significantly. One thing I am careful about is putting anything heavy in the basement. I am a couple of hundred pounds over the GVWR for the truck when loaded, but the truck rear axle and tire weight limits still have room for more weight. I did add air bags this year, to keep the truck closer to level (mostly for night driving). After two summers and 6000 miles I am pretty comfortable with the rig. We live in Colorado, so you can't hardly go anywhere but east without going over at least one mountain pass. The truck pulls the trailer fine, and the Allison tranny in combination with brakes on all three axles slows the rig down well on the downhill side.

davelinde

I have towed my 3210 about 6000 miles. I have a 03 Duramax/Allison, and it pulls the fully loaded Cyclone fine.

Do you have a trans temp gauge? What temps do you run?

If I was not watching my gauge I'd say my truck is doing fine too, I'm just not happy seeing the trans temps climb over 235 - the gauge is the only indication there's a possible problem.

Dirt1st

Pulling on the flat, even with ambient temperature of close to 100, i never see tranny temps higher than about 200. The only time I got a little concerned was pulling the grade going north out of Lewiston, Idaho. Air temp was 100 plus, and the grade is steep and long. I saw about 230 on the tranny temp gage before i reached the top.

landp

Here are my weights with and without trailer. My truck is an f-350 dually and the trailer is a 3210.

Without Trailer
Steer Axle 4880
Drive Axle 3540

With Trailer
Steer Axle 4960lbs
Drive Axle 6780lbs
3210 10300lbs

Does that mean a pin weight of 3249lbs? Seems kinda high to me

BobSue

I would call it pin weight of 3320.

(4960lbs + 6780lbs)- (4880 + 3540) = 3320.

Your trailer put a small amount of extra weight on the front axle as expected.

Don't know what your trailer is, but doesn't seem hugely out of line.

greylynn

Any updates to this thread? I am about to buy a 08' 3210. My tow vehicle is a 2010 F-250 with air bags and a pullrite 18K hitch. I wasn not expecting the trailer to come in this high. I don't think I would go over my GCVW but may go over my rear axle and GVW........