Furrion Camera Performance? Installed mine today and hoped it would be better

JBoyerinAbq

Installed our Furrion Observation Rear Camera system today. KUDOS - install can't be much easier. I did decide to change the wiring so that my camera was activated by the running lights. That said, install was 30 minutes. On the way back to the barn tonight however, I was disappointed in the signal - the camera was off as much as it was on. When it was on, it was choppy. What kind of performance are the rest of you that installed the Furrion seeing?

Safe travels.

Aandaar

I have been satisfied with mine so far. The only time I have had choppy video is when the signal strength is low. Since mine is over 40ft behind me when I travel through highly populated areas the signal bar can sometimes only show one or two bars. I have been looking for a way to relocate the antenna but so far have not found anything.

alwaysbusy

You'll find some other threads on here regarding the same issue with respect to the signal. Your not the only one; however, I have read no one actually finding a sure solution.

kdubinwa

Jeff,

Can you please share details on how you changed the wiring from factory to be powered by the running lights circuit? Where did you tap in, how did you get access, etc?

I'm not comfortable with my Furrion camera being powered on 24x7 as wired by the factory.

Thanks
Kurt

Installed our Furrion Observation Rear Camera system today. KUDOS - install can't be much easier. I did decide to change the wiring so that my camera was activated by the running lights. That said, install was 30 minutes. On the way back to the barn tonight however, I was disappointed in the signal - the camera was off as much as it was on. When it was on, it was choppy. What kind of performance are the rest of you that installed the Furrion seeing?

Safe travels.

TikiDawg

We used our Furrion Observation Camera this past weekend in the pouring down rain. It worked flawlessly. No signal connection issues at all and I could see what was going on behind us even with he rain. I could notice a small "wiggle" of the shoulder white line once in while, but when it came to vehicles behind us or coming up to pass, I was extremely happy with the performance.
I took a different approach to the power being on 24/7. See this post. https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/58552-Rear-Camera-Factory-Installed-Wiring-question

JBoyerinAbq

Kurt,
My approach was pretty simple. I unscrewed the complete unit from the rear cap. I then pulled out the center led marker light. The marker light has a white and black wire - I used some high quality taps and just tapped each of the center light wires. I then connected the new power cord from the camera box to these blade taps. I did not want to totally disconnect the factory wiring - so I left it intact, just sealed it from weather. I fed the new power lead and the original wire back into the hole cut at the factory - used some silicon and screwed it all back together.

Two things Kurt. I used a meter to test the wiring and found (news to me) that the BLACK was hot and the white was GROUND. Secondly - the instructions say to pair the units before mounting. Not sure it's necessary - in fact, my said FAILED when I tried but the camera seems to get the signal. Just didn't want you to get too far ahead and find you needed to remove it.

Of course, you'll need you marker lights on for the camera to come on but for me, that's no issue. I drive with my lights on all the time. My camera only gets two bars - best of conditions. It is a black screen near half the time. I need to find a solution or I'll end up hard wiring one.

Good luck - safe travels.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

kdubinwa

Great help Jeff. Appreciated. I'm going to do the same on mine whenever it stops raining out here near Seattle.

Kurt,
My approach was pretty simple. I unscrewed the complete unit from the rear cap. I then pulled out the center led marker light. The marker light has a white and black wire - I used some high quality taps and just tapped each of the center light wires. I then connected the new power cord from the camera box to these blade taps. I did not want to totally disconnect the factory wiring - so I left it intact, just sealed it from weather. I fed the new power lead and the original wire back into the hole cut at the factory - used some silicon and screwed it all back together.

Two things Kurt. I used a meter to test the wiring and found (news to me) that the BLACK was hot and the white was GROUND. Secondly - the instructions say to pair the units before mounting. Not sure it's necessary - in fact, my said FAILED when I tried but the camera seems to get the signal. Just didn't want you to get too far ahead and find you needed to remove it.

Of course, you'll need you marker lights on for the camera to come on but for me, that's no issue. I drive with my lights on all the time. My camera only gets two bars - best of conditions. It is a black screen near half the time. I need to find a solution or I'll end up hard wiring one.

Good luck - safe travels.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>