Just got weighed

BobSue

I stopped at the CAT scales on the south side of Houston on the way home yesterday. Wish I had read this area before stopping and would have gotten better info.

Wasn't sure how hard it would be or how much it would cost.

It was pretty easy. Biggest problem was my Erdu and the weigh master's English. We had a hard time communicating. He did not know what a fifth wheel was even when he saw it on the monitor.

Anyway, this scale actually had four different platforms on it.

I pulled the truck/trailer on and climbed out of the truck to push the talk button. Set up for a big rig so I could hardly reach the button.

Had both truck axles on one platform (just barely fit) and both trailer axles on the next platform. Called on intercom and told him I was ready. He answered he was done.

After that weight, I backed up a little and put back axle of trailer on one platform, front axles and landing gear on the next platform. Then unhitched and pulled forward enough for both truck axles on the front platform. Again requested the weight.

Rehitched and went in to pay and get results. Cost was $8.50 for each weight. That is peanuts. Plus I got two free CAT trading cards. WooHoo!:D

After reading this thread, I wish I had split the truck axles across platforms so I would know how much on each axle.

Anyway, the results (drum roll please)

2006 F-250 crew cab, SRW, super duty, short bed, 6.0l turbodiesel
2009 Bighorn 3055RL
All loaded up with half tank of fuel, DW, two cats and all the gear plus 1/3 tank of water, empty waste and grey tanks.

After the calcs:
Truck: 7840# unhitched; 10,480# hitched for pin weight of 2640#
Trailer: 10,000# on axles when hitched; for total weight of 12,640#
4700# on back axle while on landing gear. Probably a little less when hitched? Pretty even split it seems to me.

GCWR per owners manual is 23,000# so I am OK.:)
GVWR per sticker on door is 9800# so I am over by 640#:mad: Would be another 100# with full fuel tank.

Wish I knew how it was split by axle? Next time I will be sure to get that as well.

The only solution to over GVWR I can see is try to move stuff toward back of trailer, but since there is no outside storage there, not sure how much effect I can have.

Any suggestions?

flyfishing48

Fill water tank?

I am not sure about your coach, but with my Sundance filling the water tank will lower the pin weight about 50 lbs according to the factory. Not much but it helps. We try to load most of the heavy stuff behind the axles, when ever we can. The pantry is behind the axles so that helps too. We have not weighed this rig yet, but it is on our to-do list.

Clark

I recently weighed my BH3055RL also. I didn't have the advantage of a CAT scale, just a local scale used by a trucking company here in town.
TV: Chevy Silverado 2500 Long Bed Crew Cab

Clark

I recently weighed my BH3055RL also. I didn't have the advantage of a CAT scale, just a local scale used by a trucking company here in town.
TV: Chevy Silverado 2500 Long Bed Crew Cab
6.6 L diesel/Allison Transmission
Trailer: Bighorn 3055RL

Weights: Truck: 7120 lbs with 1/2 tank fuel and myself
Trailer: 12480 with about 1/3 tank water and packed for travel. Truck GVWR is 13,400 so I have about 900 lbs to spare.
Combined: 19,600 lbs. Truck GCWR is 22000 so I am good there.
I figure that a full tank of diesel, wife and two dogs will add about 300 more lbs.
Did not get the pin weight or axel weights

Clark

jstanco

BBM Pop
You definitely should get your axle weights computed, especially your rear axle rating. That one is pretty important, at least in my mind.

John

BobSue

I intend to do that next time out. Probably next week. It was my first time at a weight station and I was stumbling around trying to figure out how to get all the info I needed.

I obviously missed the separate axles.

With the four platforms at CAT it should be really easy to get it all in one weight.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are going to the rally in Branson I understand you can get it weighed there. I believe they weigh each wheel individually so you will know exactly where you stand.

BobSue

Hi again Jim, We met up at Rayford Crossing last week. I was the BigHorn beside you.

Glad to see you got your propane question figured out.

We won't be in Branson, have a different trip to the east scheduled for that time. I am planning to go back to same CAT scales my next trip out. I am still looking for items to move back in trailer to reduce pin weight, but it is a struggle with this floor plan.

Hope to see you again soon.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
BTW: When getting your 2nd weight, if you tell them it is a "RE-WEIGH", they usually only charge $1 extra per re-weigh. :) Save $7.50 - that's a gallon of fuel & a cup of coffee! :D

wittmeba

Hello BobSue,

I'm new to this forum and very interested in this post.

I am interested in a Heartland product likely from the Big Country lineup. I too have an F250 Ford, but mine is a 2001 and the GVWR is lower than yours by 1000#. Only thing in my favor is airbags, but that doesn't change the numbers...just gives me a sense of security.

I suspect your truck is a little heavier than mine as mine is a King Cab rather than a Crew Cab. I didn't see whether yours was a 4X4, stick or auto or what other options you may have purchased. But I'm sure they are close enough.

The Bighorn brochure indicates the 3055L dry weight of 10735# and dry hitch weight is 1995#. Yours loaded was 12640# and hitch weight of 2640#. I realize you had water (partial) in your fresh tank, but those are both very significant differences.

You also indicate a rear axle weight on your RV at 4700 while on the landing gear. How was this measured? They must have had a split between the front wheels and back wheels on the RV. If you find out, I am real curious to learn the answer to this too.

My concern is my truck has a GVWR of 8800# and yours 9800#. Your rig and what I am considering are close and you are already over by 640#. I think I am in serious trouble.

Was there anything in the bed of the truck that could be moved to the rear of the trailer to help your pin weight?

Do you think you could dig up a mistake for me? I sure would appreciate it. Otherwise, I may have to consider something else.

It is, however, always to see someone actually weigh their rig for real values.

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

wittmeba

BobSue,
Are these scales shared by big rig truckers running the hwys all day? Reason I ask is I have heard other comment they felt too rushed and didnt want to hold up the big rigs. Are there scales for those like us RV'ers to use without causing delays?

truknutt

Committed Member
Wittmeba,

If I may chime in here....don't worry about being rushed. Weighing at the CAT scales is a very easy process. CATscales.com has a "how to weigh" section that is informative. Use the Standard method first; front axle on first pad, rear axle on second pad and trailer axles on third pad. This will provide you with front axle, rear axle (loaded), the combined trailer axle, and the overall Combined weight of TV & Trailer.

I found it less confusing for the scale operator if before you pull off the scales to tell them you will unhook and then come back around for a "re-weigh" as HT suggested earlier. Unhook your trailer well out of the big rig's way and re-weigh. Remind them it's a re-weigh (first operator inevitably has to go on a break!). Now you have the TV's unloaded front axle, rear axle and overall weight.

If you want individual trailer axle weights that will require a 3rd run over the scales. You have to place each axle on a different pad.

There you have it. No go in and pay the man, rehook your trailer and down the road you go equipped with some very important information!

For accuracy's sake, it's recommended that you load your rig the way that you would be traveling: "Significant Others", pets, family members, fuel , etc.

Good luck and have fun,

Dave

P.S. The hardest part was standing up on the truck's doorsill to reach the speaker box!! It's set up high for the big rigs.

BobSue

Wittmeba,

Sorry, I just now saw your August posting. Did not intentionally ignore you, it just some how did not show up:confused:

Since this original post, I have reweighed at a different CAT scale. This time I got front and read truck axle weights. Confirmed that I am overloaded a few hundred pounds on rear axle, but not on total weight or front axle; go figure. The weights agreed with in about 200 # so I am fairly confident of results.

At both CAT scales, there was no one else using the scales. The only problems were caused by my inexperience and not being able to reach the call button.

In fact, both times, I pulled up and split the axles where I wanted, got the weight. Then readjusted my position and just dropped the trailer right on the scales. Moved the truck as needed and got another weight. ( I didn't know about the "reweigh" then.) This made it real easy to just back right back up to the trailer and rehitch.

I never felt rushed or forced to move. Had some confusion with the operators inside not knowing how to get both different weight reports out.

Since second weighing I have taken to moving some high weight density items (like my tool box and drinking water) into the trailer behind the axles to try to limit pin weight. I have not had a chance to weigh since doing this, so I don't know how much good it does. A little bit of an inconvenience, but it helps my piece of mind. Just move stuff back to basement after we get set up at new spot.

I got the split on trailer axles, by putting each axle on a different table.

Truck is 2 wheel drive, automatic, 6.0 diesel crew cab.

You are right, my measurements are significantly more than advertised. That was the primary reason for posting. Between "options" and your "stuff" the weights go up very quickly and can easily overload a 3/4 ton truck.

If I knew then what I know now; I would definitely have gotten a full ton truck. Just ignorance at the time.

I recently put on Timbrens, and the ride has improved noticeably. Thanks to all here for their recommendations. Got them installed in San Antonio while waiting to get power back at my house after hurricane Ike.

Of course, that does NOT get rid of the overload situation. Just makes it feel more comfortable.

I agree with Truknutt, if you plan it right; three runs over the scales will tell you almost every thing you need. Only thing better would be individual wheel weights; but you won't get that at a CAT scales.

Good Luck