Replacing Southco baggage slam latch

EurekaJ

Hello, without breaking the bank, what would be the best way to change the Southco baggage lock or latch to make it a little more secure? I know it wouldn't take much to get in but I want to eliminate the R001 key that all my neighbors have. Would the "global link baggage door latch" install fairly easy???? I called rv locksandmore and he told me he has heard that it should be fairly straightforward. I would get it keyed to my entrance door lock.

We just moved last weekend out of an RV park to our own land. 5 other friends moved as well to their own land so we have a small community now. We are permanently parked year round. I just don't like others going into my stuff when they want to borrow something, like Bailey's and Crown Royal etc. (I am also changing my C751 locks to something just a little more secure to keep friends out)

I looked at RV Lock and it would cost $760 to change my 2 slam latches and 2 entrance doors. (Not ruling this out quite yet)

Thanks,
Andy

jbeletti

Andy - a less expensive option to a better handle/lock is to simply use the RVLock mechanical compartment handle. I have one and really like it. My SouthCo locks got to the point where I couldn't even insert a key :(

$50 - link

MechanicalCompartmentSystem_2048x2048.jpg

kdubinwa

I'm going the Global Link route so all the baggage locks match my entrance key. 4 new handles at $12 a pop arrive on Monday. Cheap solution for single key.

EurekaJ

Andy - a less expensive option to a better handle/lock is to simply use the RVLock mechanical compartment handle. I have one and really like it. My SouthCo locks got to the point where I couldn't even insert a key :(

$50 - link

View attachment 43589

Thanks Jim, I missed this one on their website. Going to talk to wife this weekend so we can decide.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going the Global Link route so all the baggage locks match my entrance key. 4 new handles at $12 a pop arrive on Monday. Cheap solution for single key.

Global Link is what I was considering. Did they install fairly easy? I know there will probably be some mods no matter what I change too.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I used on my last rig when I changed out the CH751.

http://ch751.com/tubular-locks-ch751-replacement.html

I am definitely changing my 2 locks with 751 keys.

kdubinwa

EurekaJ,

The global link baggage locks arrived from rvlocksandmore.com late this afternoon. I did have time to attempt a dry fit. As disclosed by rvlocksandmore their baggage locks internal mounting studs are about 3/16" longer than required on a Lippert baggage door. This means the backplate when screwed down and through the mounting studs leaves the lock assembly 3/16" wider than the thickness of the baggage door. I have the choice of either using a dremel to cut the studs down a bit or just adding a 1/4" gasket behind the door to take up the extra slack. In the am I plan to make gaskets out of 1/4" plywood panel. Quick and easy enough to make and then the handles will bolt right up and tight.

Beyond being keyed to match my entrance door, the new baggage locks by global link are much heavier and much higher quality than the Lippert/SouthCo door locks. No comparison.

I also received 2 cam locks keyed to my entrance door for the front compartment. They are perfect.

ram_1955

I have just found out / figured out that I do not even have a key that fits my slam latch locks. I thought they used the 751 key. So I guess I am ordering new latches, of course they will be keyed to the doors. I am going measure my locks that use the 751 and order them at the same time. Of the joys of new trailers.

danemayer

I have just found out / figured out that I do not even have a key that fits my slam latch locks. I thought they used the 751 key. So I guess I am ordering new latches, of course they will be keyed to the doors. I am going measure my locks that use the 751 and order them at the same time. Of the joys of new trailers.

If you didn't get the keys to the slam latch locks, you should contact your dealer to find out what they did with them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you didn't get the keys to the slam latch locks, you should contact your dealer to find out what they did with them.

Check your blue bag with all the warranty info, they may be in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdubinwa

All done and didn't need to make a shim. The existing plastic backing plate works perfect as the shim/gasket. Just screw them on and go.

e7320170f1b02ed3cf1ddc5a44a03490.jpg

0d0b7810c13e533fd4d979ebbfda87e8.jpg

New Global Entry lock on right before swapping out the SouthCo left lock...

IMG_2198.jpg

ram_1955

Well I have checked the blue bag and no keys there I will have to check the spare key ring at home and see if I missed them.

EurekaJ

Well I went ahead and we decided to order in from RVLock. A keyless entry and a keyless slam door for UDC, since I always shut my water off inside with a ball valve when we step out so 1 click of the fob from the vehicle will work. Wife likes the idea of going to bed when I am still up around the fire and clicking the fob to lock, I can then use the touch pad to enter, no key.

We did order all keyed alike for our other slam door plus our back entry door to 2nd washroom since it is usually locked anyways because of the kids.

A note if you are ordering multiple keyed alike locks (I ordered 5) it takes a couple extra days to ship if they are busy to have them all keyed the same.

The Heartland discount does apply for the V4.0 at $40 off. Great deal!

Looks like they will arrive this Saturday so we should have time to install them all. I will post back how my install goes.

Andy

EurekaJ

All done and didn't need to make a shim. The existing plastic backing plate works perfect as the shim/gasket. Just screw them on and go.

e7320170f1b02ed3cf1ddc5a44a03490.jpg

0d0b7810c13e533fd4d979ebbfda87e8.jpg

New Global Entry lock on right before swapping out the SouthCo left lock...

View attachment 43701

I quickly looked at our new latches and the old. Do you have to drill out the rivets on the old black plastic plate?

kdubinwa

I quickly looked at our new latches and the old. Do you have to drill out the rivets on the old black plastic plate?

No. Leave the rivets holding the southco plastic backing plate attached. The new metal backing plate aligns perfectly with the holes in the plastic plate. Just bolt the metal plate evenly by tightening all four corners progressively --- just like lug nuts on a wheel. I think I used #8 1/2" stainless machine screws. It creates a solid water tight connection.

EurekaJ

No. Leave the rivets holding the southco plastic backing plate attached. The new metal backing plate aligns perfectly with the holes in the plastic plate. Just bolt the metal plate evenly by tightening all four corners progressively --- just like lug nuts on a wheel. I think I used #8 1/2" stainless machine screws. It creates a solid water tight connection.

Perfect. Makes sense thanks!!