Best Way To Install Solar In A North Trailer ?

danemayer

Hi KitKat1313,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Feel free to ask your questions. What do you need help with?

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Kitkat1313, what questions do you have? Posting them here would be a good start and the moderators can always move it to the appropriate location and thread if need be.

Rod

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great folks here. So just jump right in the water is fine.

I am thinking about installing a solar panel on the front top of my 2015 23rbs and was wondering if I can run the solar wires down behind the front cap to the bottom, I can't seem to find if there are any abstuctions in the way. Thanks for any help. Joe

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Looking at my 2016 32BUDS NT

The fiberglass front cap may offer a limited amount of space to run your cable but it may not be easy. It is filled with fiberglass insulation.
The front curve is made of an aluminum frame and the paneling is glued to the framework. The insulation is laid over the aluminum frame and the front cap is applied over. The edges would be the least likely area to get the wires fed thru.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I ran my solar wires down a conduit in the refrigerator vent area. I have seen other information on running it down along a vent pipe from the roof.

I ran my solar wires down a conduit in the refrigerator vent area. I have seen other information on running it down along a vent pipe from the roof.
My refrigerator is in the slide, but got a though ceiling plate and plan on when we get back from Arizona to run it in upper TV wall down. Thank You for the input. Joe

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Joe; the vent pipes are usually your best option, as they go from the roof to the belly in most cases. I have seen some guys go down the side of the pipe and some go right down the middle of it Y it out at the bottom.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
What kind of solar system do you plan to install? how many panels, controller etc?

In my installation, I ran panels in series to increase the panel string voltage to keep the wires on the roof small. Then ran each strings cables down to the charge controller and combiner/breaker box. Then the big power cables from the charge controller were ran to the batteries.

I used thin film flexible panels and used a EPDM compatible adhesive on the panels and Dicor lap sealant on the edges to apply the panels to the roof.

I have just one 100 watt windynation panel with the small wires from the panel to go down to the controller. The wires from the controller to the batteries will be easy, so not worried about running them. I have had allot of experience installing inverters and have calculated my wires size from controller to the batteries. I don't plan on installing an inverter, just want to have a small charge when dry camping on short camps. I probably should have gotten the flexible panels like you did but didn't think of them😞 I can add up to three more panels to this set up which is great if I need more wattage. Thank you again Silverado23 for all your communication and giving me pointers! Joe

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here's is what my panel install looks like on my NT.

myinstall.jpg

Attachments

• 6solarpanelsinstalled.jpg
    6solarpanelsinstalled.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 43
That look great! Hope mine looks as good when I get done.

- - - Updated - - -

Our trailer is only 23 feet and the closest vent is as the opiset end unfortunately. Thank you very much for the imput!