heating register in bunk area ??

garbo

hello all , None i just bought a 31qbsnorth trail and and found out the heat register in the bunk area is there but there is no flex duct ran to it ? isthis just for show or is there suppose to be heat coming out of it? anyone else have this set-up??

RVCamper

There is a "vent" in the 31QBS for the Electrical converter. It sort of looks like a heater vent and is about 12" x 12" metal vented cover. However, it is not part of the heating system on the QBS. There is a round heater type vent in the rear lower dinette area, but this does not appear to be hooked up to the heater system on ours either.

Our QBS does not have any heat vents in the bunk area that I could find that are hooked up to the heater. I suppose you are suppost to leave the door open to get heat back there.

Last edited:
M

Mcreech

Let me chime in here and explain. The Electrical converter is in the bunk area and is not a heater vent.....There is a heat duct that is located in the rear lower dinette and it is hooked up to the heater...Now to explain some things, Heartland had the furance people at the factory with there test equipment to make sure heat was getting moved around the unit. They gave us the OK. Now the bunk sliding door isn't a sealed door, so air moves in and out of the bunk area without blowing directly in it, also with the laminated ceiling and floors as well as the sidewalls, and back wall, the North Trail has much less heat lose versus a other Trailers.....Heartland follows the recommendation of the suppliers that we buy from..... I hope this helps with the understanding....

Mike C

RVCamper

Mike,

Should we feel any air blowing out of the rear dinette round heater vent? I started the heater up last night to check, and although I did not run the heat for long, I did not feel any air (warm or cold) coming from the round vent. Is there a heater duct that runs up to this vent from the furnace?

irvin56

Thanks

I too looked at this and assumed it was just to vent the heat from the plug in and the converter. We had no problem with heat in the bunk area

M

Mcreech

You should be able to feel heat blowing from the round Heat vent that is located in the main living room dinette. I am out of town until Tue but when I get back to the factory I will look for myself on this issue, so although I'm 95% sure, I will get back to you on Tue once i see for myself that particular duct is / should be hooked up to the furance....In the meantime enjoy that North Trail

RVCamper

I too looked at this and assumed it was just to vent the heat from the plug in and the converter. We had no problem with heat in the bunk area

Yup, that looks to be the case, no direct heat vent to the rear bunk area from the furnace. We have had the heat on overnight but had the door open (no problem with heat). We have not tried to heat the rear area with the door closed. Hopefully it will be ok.. :)

RVCamper

Attached it a quick shot of the vent (w/o a factory installed heater duct) in rear dinette. This is taken from the top looking down at the seat of the rear dinette with the cover off the forward seating area.

Attachments

• Rear-Dinette-Heater-Vent---.jpg
    Rear-Dinette-Heater-Vent---.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 58
M

Mcreech

Ok, I'm back in the office and i found out the correct information.....The round duct in the bunk area is by code to vent the converter....We used the round heat duct vent to make the unit look uniformed throughout.......So no heat will blow out of that duct......But there should be heat blowing out of the duct in the main living room dinette....
Thanks

GaryA

That clears it up for me. But I have very little heat coming out of the duct to the front bedroom and the bathroom gets VERY warm. I guess it's good to have a warm bathroom for taking showers, but the bedroom should also have a little more flow from the vent.

irvin56

mine is the same way

We leave the bathroom door open at night.
But you can get a vent with flap in it to close off some heat in bathrom and this will probably redirect heat to other area's.
We never close the bunk house door for any lenght of time so we never had an issue with the heat in there.
Grand kids don't like to be closed in.

Iv'e read where some people have bought a small ceramic electric heater and put under little dinette in bunk house

RVCamper

"Iv'e read where some people have bought a small ceramic electric heater and put under little dinette in bunk house"

Our issue with this approach is that we are often in Federal campground with no electricity, and you cannot run a generator at night. Nor do I think it is safe to run a electic heater in a sleeping area with kids and blankets.

Seems to be a rather large oversite to me.

SmokeyBare

RVCamper,

I feel far safer using an Electric heater than a propane heater. There's limited choices for heating RV's. The Furnace requires power to run the Fan and the heating controls. Yes you could have additional batteries to run the fan and controls for the furnace if your not connected to electricty. Those take up room to hold the Batteries... and they require charging.

I've used a Propane Catalytic heater in our old Fifth Wheel... but that uses Oxygen from inside the RV... so a window needs opened slightly to provide protection for people and to provide O2 for the Heater to burn. I'd not suggest this at all...

Good Luck finding a solution you feel safe with...

RVCamper

Smokey,

We leave the RV heater on, and we have two batteries that we recharge with the generator. However, the kids like the door closed and we get up earlier than they do. I can tell you it gets very cool in there with the door closed.

Right now thre is no solution to get heat into the rear bunk area, just more blankets for the kids. Otherwise, I have to run a new duct to the bunk area from underneath. That means removing the underskin, and a bunch of work for me.

Something that should have been done at the factory (as should the damper in the bathroom)