Project BH 3160EL -- Mostly plagiarism....

kdubinwa

Had my new Bighorn in the driveway for a couple weeks to get "glamping-ready".

Thought I would share a few mods copied off many on this forum. Starting with an "original" piece of work:

Upgrade the laundry/pantry closet with real shelving for maximum grub storage.
Before
images.jpg

After
IMG_2169.jpgIMG_2170.jpg

The shelf heights are all quickly adjusted and the shelf ledges clip on and off with ease.

Some other mods you have all seen before:

Whipped up a rear-of-UDC inspection window, ready for install
IMG_2153.jpg

Moded UDC for water filter, quick connects and bug proof seal (I hope)
IMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpgIMG_2156.jpg

Installed EMS
IMG_2157.jpg

Added last chance dumpvalve added after cutting off excess pipe
IMG_2158.jpg

Installed Two 12v 100ah AGM batteries, sealed front compartment
IMG_2162.jpg

Added sewer hose carrier #2
IMG_2164.jpg

Added batman webbing to front closet shelves for traveling
IMG_2179.jpgIMG_2178.jpg

Added Furrion rear observation camera, rewired to use clearance light circuit vs full-time power
IMG_2166.jpg

Added magnetic door and compartment door catches, stole from Jarrod
IMG_2167.jpgIMG_2168.jpg

Added the usual missing features in the bathroom... we will see if industrial strength velcro for the sink cover is up to the task.
IMG_2171.jpgIMG_2173.jpgIMG_2172.jpg

Swapped in a damper register to help balance air. Supply to commode is over the top.
IMG_2174.jpg

Added 12v outlet in bedroom for dry camping
IMG_2175.jpg

Swapped in 48 element panel LEDs into master closet light fixtures
IMG_2180.jpg

Added a door handle, second handle arrives today for lower mount... Dang-it Jarrod!
IMG_2183.jpg

Getting time to hit the road
IMG_2185.jpg

BTW, many of you have helped me with your posts or answered my questions. Much appreciated!

Kurt

Oregon_Camper

Dang you Kurt!!! Now you have upped the Mod list on my 3160.

Ok...Please send me the detail on:

1 - Rack in Pantry
2 - The filter and mounting bracket in UDC (BTW...what is the black thing with red LEDs)
3 - UDC Water line - How do you connect the city water? is there a hose underneath? I can only see the green connector at the port opening
4 - Make/Model of second sewer hose
5 - Furrion Camera.....was your 3160 Pre-Wired? Is this wireless? Love to see some more picture on how you wired this into the clearance lights.

Last edited:

kdubinwa

1) Ordered Regency 5 shelf NSF wire rack unit 14"D x 30"W x 72"H for $94 delivered from http://www.webstaurantstore.com
Added some shelf dividers for $5 a pop. Added shelf ledges for from shelving.com. All in about $135 delivered. I took down my top shelf and drilled 4 holes so the shelf system legs would be held in place by the reinstalled top shelf as well. Very sturdy setup.

2) Filter is from http://rvwaterfilterstore.com along with 4 white water hoses. I ordered the filter mounting clamps from amazon. I can use valves/hoses to bypass water filter. I swapped out my outdoor shower head for a vacuum breaker and quick disconnect so I can easily attach my coiled hose with spray nozzle or quick connect to the blank tank flush. My goal was to avoid putting any further stress or use on the mostly plastic plumbing connections in the UDC. The small black panel with LED is my EMS display.

3) My only water connection is below the UDC as shown below.
IMG_2165.jpg

4) Got the second sewer hose holder from dwincorp.com

5) Yes my rig was prewired for the camera, but I abandoned that wiring because it was hot full-time powered off the interior wall lamp circuit (dumb IMO). I didn't take pics of the camera install but it was very easy. Remove factory Furrion camera mount. Unscrew top center clearance light to access wiring to both camera and clearance lights -- they are separated by only two inches. Install two wire taps after confirming polarity. Remount camera and done. Took 15 minutes tops.

Dang you Kurt!!! Now you have upped the Mod list on my 3160.

Ok...Please send me the detail on:

1 - Rack in Pantry
2 - The filter and mounting bracket in UDC (BTW...what is the black thing with red LEDs)Fur
3 - UDC Water line - How do you connect the city water? is there a hose underneath? I can only see the green connector at the port opening
4 - Make/Model of second sewer hose
5 - Furrion Camera.....was your 3160 Pre-Wired? Is this wireless? Love to see some more picture on how you wired this into the clearance lights.

kdubinwa

Thanks Jim. Could not have got started on this without all the helpful posts by you.

I'm staying old school on the entrance lock as we don't full-time... so not much of an inconvenience. However, for security I am switching everything over to a single global link key for baggage and compartments too. Hard to beat the bang for only 75 bucks.

Nice work Kurt. You need an RVLock for your entrance door :)

Oregon_Camper

Thanks for the info. :cool:

Does that water hose hang down all the time? From your picture, it appears your 2:1 water splitter is mounted to the port. Just wondering how you get the hose there (if not permanent) with crawling under the RV to attach to the splitter?

Do you remember the hose lengths you ordered?

kdubinwa

It does hang down for access. That drop hose is 12". The 2:1 splitter sits on top of a rubber grommet that seals the inside hold drilled through the UDC twist lid. A second grommet around that same 12" drop hose seals the outside of the hole through the UDC lid. I ordered two 12" and two 18" hoses by calling their store. If doing it over I would order three 18" and one 12". If you want the hose access easier under the UDC then you could change the lengths up. No problem for me reaching under to make that one connection.

I recommend a metal "full flow" 2:1 splitter so you don't loose pressure. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-Aluminum-2-Way-Connector-AY2FFM/dp/B000XTH2UY

I also mounted a pass through grommet in the lid for cable and ethernet connections. I should not need to remove the lid and I made sure the weep holes around the lid are functional for draining any water after a black tank flush.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

Does that water hose hang down all the time? From your picture, it appears your 2:1 water splitter is mounted to the port. Just wondering how you get the hose there (if not permanent) with crawling under the RV to attach to the splitter?

Do you remember the hose lengths you ordered?

avvidclif

Thanks Jim. Could not have got started on this without all the helpful posts by you.

I'm staying old school on the entrance lock as we don't full-time... so not much of an inconvenience. However, for security I am switching everything over to a single global link key for baggage and compartments too. Hard to beat the bang for only 75 bucks.

Fulltime has nothing to do with it, it's all about convenience. No fumbling for keys, easy access. At the campground pool and one of the kids wants a soda. No key needed. Neighbor calls you at work and for whatever reason (emergency) needs in your RV, give him the code. Change it when you get home. IMHO one of the best mods made.

coram8

Well, I think it is safe to say you have boosted the economy by posting all these mods that fellow RVers will be purchasing. I definetley have added the water filter setup and toilet roll holder to my To-Do list (along with the damper register and the sewer hose carrier that were already on the list).

I was wondering what the inspection window was for?

Awesome mods!

View attachment 43621

Oregon_Camper

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get all the stuff order right ...the first time :)

When you said you had 4 hoses (2x18 2x12)....I only count 3 hoses. I have pointed out 2 in your picture below, and the 3rd one I can determine is under the trailer (used to connect to city water) Where is the 4th?

Capture.jpg

kdubinwa

Sorry... The 18" hose in the picture is actually an 18" connected to a 12" hose but you can't see the connection behind the filter. I did that because I wanted an extra 12" hose handy for when I bypass the water filter. The fittings on the water filter are brass screwed into plastic so I didn't want to unscrew the water filter from the connection each time.

You can get by with three hoses, but instead of 18" I would make one of them 30" or 36" long.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd like to get all the stuff order right ...the first time :)

When you said you had 4 hoses (2x18 2x12)....I only count 3 hoses. I have pointed out 2 in your picture below, and the 3rd one I can determine is under the trailer (used to connect to city water) Where is the 4th?

View attachment 43647

- - - Updated - - -

Allows me to see the plethora of plumbing connections right behind the UDC and confirm no leaks. I'll post a pic with it installed tomorrow.

Well, I think it is safe to say you have boosted the economy by posting all these mods that fellow RVers will be purchasing. I definetley have added the water filter setup and toilet roll holder to my To-Do list (along with the damper register and the sewer hose carrier that were already on the list).

I was wondering what the inspection window was for?

Awesome mods!

View attachment 43621

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, great mods! Thanks for sharing! Some of those we want to do too. Just not enough hours in the day, or energy in the body, after w*rk all week.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

WOW you've been busy. Really nice job on all of your Mod's. It makes things a lot easier with your rig parked next to your house. But It never ends, It's addicting ones you finish one you looking for what you want to do next.
Keep us posted. See you in Oregon next year or Vegas this year if your going.

Gary521

Kurt, I think your modifications are really, really creative and your workmanship is excellent. However, I do not like the water connection hose dangling from beneath the UDC all the time. I have spent of my working career in the medical industry and just having this hose dangling, even with a cover, provides too much opportunity for contamination from road debris. Perhaps I am missing something but if I have not, I would consider changing this.

kdubinwa

Thanks for the input Gary. I'll give the hookup some more consideration.

I may install a hose mount above to keep the hose end high and also throw a clean latex glove/bag over the end... Hmmm.

Kurt, I think your modifications are really, really creative and your workmanship is excellent. However, I do not like the water connection hose dangling from beneath the UDC all the time. I have spent of my working career in the medical industry and just having this hose dangling, even with a cover, provides too much opportunity for contamination from road debris. Perhaps I am missing something but if I have not, I would consider changing this.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jerrod. You and Jim have been ample inspiration :) Oregon next year is the plan.

WOW you've been busy. Really nice job on all of your Mod's. It makes things a lot easier with your rig parked next to your house. But It never ends, It's addicting ones you finish one you looking for what you want to do next.
Keep us posted. See you in Oregon next year or Vegas this year if your going.