New to the travel trailer world!!

Robin2010

Hello,
My name is Robin, Im new to the travel trailer life. This Monday I will be picking up my very first camping trailer which is a 2016 Mallard M29, I'm excited but a little worry since I have never pulled a camper that size. I would be extremely grateful for any advice that will help. I'll be taking a walk-through at camping world for my new trailer hopefully that will help me understand a little bit more.

Thank you,
Robin G.
El Paso, Texas

jimtoo

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go to pickup your new unit be sure and do a very complete PDI/walk-through. Make sure they have it hooked to water and electric so that everything can be tested and operated to make sure everything works. I suggest you not sign any final papers until your happy with the unit. If something is wrong or not working properly, don't just take their word to fix it later...a lot of times later never comes.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

During your PDI, plan on taking at least 3-4 hours to complete. Never pay for PDI. Bring a camera and a notebook to take down information as they explain things to you. You might think you can remember all the stuff, but it will be coming at you so fast that some will slip through.

Feel free to grab my PDI document in my signature below, or search the web for another one. Just go in prepared and everything will work out.

Jv75353

Welcome to the Heartland forum. As far as towing your new trailer take your time don't go too fast. Try driving on not to travelled roads. Try out the brakes see how they respond when you apply your tow vehicles brakes. Set your brake controller so that it applies the trailer brakes but doesn't lock them when stopping the trailer with just the controller from about 20 mph. Watch tight turns and leave plenty of swing room when going around corners. Enjoy your new rig, wishing you Safe Travels!

mlpeloquin

When you take turns pull forward farther then you are used to and take them wide. You have to have seen "this truck takes wide turns" on the back on some trucks. Do it as well. You will soon get to judge just how wide and how much farther forward you have to go before beginning to turn your wheels.