Towing with a 2012 F350 SRW showing a 10,000 GVWR

Good Day everyone. we currently have a 2102 BC 3690 (empty: 12,500 loaded 15,500) and are towing it with a 2012 F350 Lariat short bed Short bed diesel. The sticker shows the track with a 10,000 GVWR. The F350 is a 4X4 with a tonneau cover and a pull-rite hitch. When we weigh the truck, with my wife and I in it, it comes in at 8,500 pounds. The rear axle has a GAWR of 7,000 and is at 3,560 with out the trailer but with the hitch in place. The BC pin weight is 1980. This works with the rear axle numbers but takes us over the GVWR (8,520 +1,980 = 10,500). Based on this and the other number it looks like we shouldn't be owing the BC but the truck tows it like its not even back there. I am a bit confused - can someone help unconfused me? We are looking to change trailers but the one we're looking at has a pin weight of 3,020 so it may be out altogether.

Thanks

Jim

jnbhobe

Your truck has an option called 10,000 gvwr, it cuts the gvw to 10K from 11.5 K other than that they are close to the same. You may not have helper springs and the tires may be different. If you have 3.55 gears you have the same as everyone else except the right sticker on the door. I have never seen it checked for towing but it's still illegal.

Jon,

So there is actually some physical difference between an F350 with an 11,500 GVWR and a 10,000 GVWR? I have seen some posts that say that there really is no difference and that they just change the rating on the sticker.

thanks

Jim

jnbhobe

Each truck is a little bit different depending on options. If you have a camper package you also get helpers. The 11.5K has 18 in tires. There may be a couple of other things that are not too important. 10K is usually for licencing purposes. My last truck was an 11.5 gvw with 3.55 gears and it worked very well. Do you have 3.31 or 3.55 gears.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
My '08 F350 Lariat has the camper special package, long bed, 4 door and 4x4. It is rated at 11,500. The only number that I'm over is the gcvwr by about 400#. I also use the airlift 5000 bags and have no problem with handeling while towing our BH3260EL at 14560# loaded.

Each truck is a little bit different depending on options. If you have a camper package you also get helpers. The 11.5K has 18 in tires. There may be a couple of other things that are not too important. 10K is usually for licencing purposes. My last truck was an 11.5 gvw with 3.55 gears and it worked very well. Do you have 3.31 or 3.55 gears.

We have the 3.55 gears and the tires are the Michelin LT275/70R18 tires. Don't get me wrong the truck works fine but if it is truly a 10,000 GVWR then I have potential safety issues but if it is truly 11,500 GVWR and just stickered differently I don't have the safety issues. There may be a compliance issue but I am a private driver not a commercial driver.

Jim

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have the 3.55 gears and the tires are the Michelin LT275/70R18 tires. Don't get me wrong the truck works fine but if it is truly a 10,000 GVWR then I have potential safety issues but if it is truly 11,500 GVWR and just stickered differently I don't have the safety issues. There may be a compliance issue but I am a private driver not a commercial driver.

Jim

Mine has the same gearing and tire size. The sticker reads 7K rear axle and 6K front and is rated 11,500...
It's been a couple years since I weighed the truck (8400#) and I've added some stuff since-aux fuel tank, brush guard, Enkay flaps...
The CGVW then was 21980#...Pulling a 3010 rated 14K gross.
Plan to scale it again sometime this summer as we're fairly consistent with our gear and contents now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Ratings are not about be8ng comfortable on a good day. They are about what happens on a bad day.

Ratings are not about be8ng comfortable on a good day. They are about what happens on a bad day.

Bohemian - That is sort of what I am trying to figure out. Apparently Ford has a 10,000 GVWR option on its F350s. This is a zero coast option. What I am trying to find out, is whether there is really difference or if this is something else? If the issue is just that they put a sticker on the truck and didn't really change anything then I have a possible compliance issue but not a safety issue. If they actually change something on the truck then I have a safety issue. Two different issues with possibly the same or different solutions. Thanks Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lyle,

Thank you. I have the 7K rear axle and 6K front axle as well but the rating is 10K. The truck weighs in at 8,520. If I truly have a 10K GVWR then I would have a max pin weight of 1,480 which is about 500 lbs less than the pin weight of the BC 3690. If the truck is really an 11,500 truck with a 10,000 sticker. I still have issues but they're different issues. There are a number of posts around that seem to indicate that the only thing Ford does, with the 10,000 GVW rating, is change the sticker. Jim

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi Lyle,

Thank you. I have the 7K rear axle and 6K front axle as well but the rating is 10K. The truck weighs in at 8,520. If I truly have a 10K GVWR then I would have a max pin weight of 1,480 which is about 500 lbs less than the pin weight of the BC 3690. If the truck is really an 11,500 truck with a 10,000 sticker. I still have issues but they're different issues. There are a number of posts around that seem to indicate that the only thing Ford does, with the 10,000 GVW rating, is change the sticker. Jim

I bought my truck new so I still have the window sticker. The 11,500# pkg is listed as an option N/C... What does that mean? Don't have a clue other than I can license it for an acceptable CGVW .
I think it's like Jon said in his earlier reply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

We used to own a BC 3690. If you are getting a 1980 lb. pin weight figure from published specs somewhere, you might want to get your entire rig weighed. You might find that, fully loaded for travel, you are much, much over that figure (I think ours was in the 3,400 lb. range).

We used to own a BC 3690. If you are getting a 1980 lb. pin weight figure from published specs somewhere, you might want to get your entire rig weighed. You might find that, fully loaded for travel, you are much, much over that figure (I think ours was in the 3,400 lb. range).

Malcom, Thanks - Whether 1,980 or higher, we are probably above the 10,000 GVWR per the sticker on the truck. My initial concern was that the truck couldn't handle what we were towing but it seems that it can handle it and that there may be a compliance issue which is much different. Now I have to figure out how to address that issue. Jim

MCTalley

Just making sure. If by compliance you're worried about someone pulling you over, weighing the rig, looking at the sticker and saying you're in violation of the law, I think it is generally accepted that this happens so rarely (if ever) that you'll be safe in that regard. Should you happen to be involved in an accident (whether at fault or not), it might come into play if any lawsuits arise from the accident.

Just making sure. If by compliance you're worried about someone pulling you over, weighing the rig, looking at the sticker and saying you're in violation of the law, I think it is generally accepted that this happens so rarely (if ever) that you'll be safe in that regard. Should you happen to be involved in an accident (whether at fault or not), it might come into play if any lawsuits arise from the accident.

Exactly - Which is why I need to see what, if anything, can be done about it.

Bohemian

Note:

There are two different definitions for GCVW.

There in the manufacturers GCVW for safe operation of the truck trailer combined gross weight. The one we are all very familiar with. This rating does not usually appear on the vehicle sticker.

There is s second definition used by DMVs to detetmine the required license for driving a truck trailer combination. Usage varies by state and states have recently been adopting this new definition for licensing. It may or may not spply to RV as a very few states exempt Nin commercial RV usage..

This definition is easier for the state to dovument as the ratings are on the truck and trailer

GVWR = GVWR TRUCK + GVWR TRAILER

Simpler, but meaningless in my opinion. However, it us what it is.

Thus, a truck with a GVWR of 11000 lbs weighing 8500 lbs and a GCWR of 25000 lbs pulling a trailer with a 16000 lb GVWR will be considered hy MOST states as requiring a license for a GCWR of 27000 lbs. Requiring a Class A license.

Most states also require a Class A if the trailer is over 10,000 lbs GVWR. Unless,,of course, your state gives an RV exemption for your specs.

These details are burried in the states commercial code. Yes, non-commercial use and licensing is covered in the commercial regulations. Some states have non-CLD Class A licenses available. Most do not, requiring the CDL version as the only option for non commercial use.

See you States regulations. Once you are legally licensed in your state you are legal in all 50 states andvthe U.S. territories. Not Canada, nor Mexico..

justafordguy

There is no physical/mechanical difference between the 11500 truck and the 10000 truck. The option is for licensing savings only.

Depending on your state you can register your truck for any gvwr that you want and you will be completely legal. Check with your DMV and ask them if you can legally register your truck at 11500.