Battery Life/Power Inverter/Residential Fridge

Hi, My coach is a Bighorn 3270RS
I have a residential fridge with ice maker.
How long will the power inverter/batteries run the refrigerator ????
Thanks for your help.

danemayer

Hi ozark.flyfinger,

There are a number of variables including ambient temperature and humidity, what's in the refrigerator, how you have it set, all of which add up to more or less run time for the compressor. The more the compressor runs, the shorter the battery life. Other 12V systems can also put a load on the batteries. For example, running the furnace.

Most people find that if they're towing for 6 - 8 hours, the refrigerator will run for an overnight stop without shore power.

It's a good idea to disconnect the cord to the truck. If you run the trailer batteries down, you don't want to also have dead truck batteries in the morning.

If you're thinking about boon docking, you'll need a way to recharge the batteries; probably a generator or solar installation.

jbeletti

The longest I've run on battery is 12 hours of driving. Still had a decent amount of battery left before plugging in at a campground.

Be great to hear someone who's done a more exhaustive test of their system.

Bones

I ran my fridge for a little over 11 hours maybe more by the end. When I checked the batteries they were still showing about 3/4 full on the coach meter. This is with several stops in-between too on the trip

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I have also experienced 12-14 hours of driving with inverter/fridge system performing perfectly. I don't know what level the batteries had dropped to as I don't have a meter in the coach. Are you attending the Branson Rally? If so, look forward to meeting you there. Hogan Cooper

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi, My coach is a Bighorn 3270RS
I have a residential fridge with ice maker.
How long will the power inverter/batteries run the refrigerator ????
Thanks for your help.

First I'll qualify my remarks by saying I do not have the residential refrigerator...
I'm also assuming the OP wants to know how long the battery will operate the fridge if not plugged into shore power. IMO the only way to find out is perform a test, make sure the battery(s) fully charged, unplug from shore power, mark the time, check the power level periodically, and see when it fails. But as Dan mentioned there will be variables that could alter the outcome on each trip.
Additionally, while you're driving, the TV (mine does) should maintain the battery's charge continually from the truck's charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bones

First I'll qualify my remarks by saying I do not have the residential refrigerator...
I'm also assuming the OP wants to know how long the battery will operate the fridge if not plugged into shore power. IMO the only way to find out is perform a test, make sure the battery(s) fully charged, unplug from shore power, mark the time, check the power level periodically, and see when it fails. But as Dan mentioned there will be variables that could alter the outcome on each trip.
Additionally, while you're driving, the TV (mine does) should be maintain the battery's charge continually from the truck's charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly why I think my batteries were still so high after driving all day. As stated earlier. Your truck does provide a charge to the batteries while driving so that helps a lot.

farside291

I just had mine on the side of the house this weekend. Parked it Saturday and turned on the fridge at 0900. Started loading and ran the kitchen/living slides out and back in 3 times while putting stuff in. I did not have the truck plugged in. Got up Sunday morning and the batteries were at 12.2 volts on the level up display. Retracted the jacks getting ready to leave on Sunday at 1000 am and the low voltage alarm on the level up was beeping. These are brand new, 2 week old group 27 Energizer batteries. Drove 250 miles and batteries are fully charged to 12.8 volts on the level up. How long without moving the slides...not sure.

Thanks to all for your insight. We pick up our new coach 3/25/16
Always had elec/propane fridge in the past.
This is a new concept for us.
Thanks again !!!!!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You will love the residential fridge if you run on mainly shore power. Or traveling is fine too as the TV will keep your batteries with plenty of juice.
I have found the few times they we have dry camped the fridge would pull my batteries down pretty far, but there was enough left to start the generator the next morning.
My opinion is that if you have a residential fridge you should have a generator. And solar wouldn't hurt either.

We got home at 11:00 am this morning and parked the rig. I forgot to plug it in, so I just went out and checked the Voltage after 9 hours on the Invertor my 4 - 12V group 27 batteries were at (12.74V)
That was the 2 lights left on and the fridge.
Kinda rambling on but it's a little info you might use

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I had an 18 cube residential. I do alot of dry camping. The 1 thing I did was put a remote thermometer in the frig. This allows for turning the frig off and monitoring the interior temperature without opening the door. At Nite I would turn it off @9 or 10 PM ( so long as you're not in and out of the frig this works) and turn it on in the morning.. I also use a portable 220 watt solar panel along with a morning star duo solar charge controller. This allows me to split the incoming solar 50/50 or 90/10 to each battery bank. If one battery bank charges to 100% it automatically sends 100% of the solar to the other batteries

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

Last edited:

G-town

So if we drive 8 hours and stop for the night at a Walmart or Truck Stop, will the battery run the lights, fridge and TV for the night?

danemayer

You'll need to install another inverter to run the TV. The inverter and TV might tip the scales against you. Keep in mind that you'll need a fair amount of battery in the morning to pull in slides and landing gear. Also, you should probably unplug the umbilical cord between truck and trailer so you don't end up sucking the life out of the truck batteries.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The inverter that is included only runs the fridge nothing else
Ya Dave's right you'll have your 12v battery system to power all of your lights, water heater control - on gas, and your Invertor which will only supply 110v power to you refrigerator.
So if your only running the 2 12V batteries you will want to conserve every amp you can to get through a night.
You my want to unplug the Pickup at night to as some vehicles will allow 12v power to be draw out all the time. Then in the morning you'll have RV and a dead truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Disconnect your pigtail for the truck. This will help you In the am in the event of dead coach batteries.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

carl.swoyer

I had a residential frig and found that if I turn it off at night and a couple of hours during the day I could get a couple of days. But I also monitored the interior temperature with a remote thermometer. This allows you to see the temperature without opening the doors.