Exterior letting loose

Shirkster

The back and sides of our 2011 Elkridge are bubbling out, severely. Unit stored inside, weather not a factor. Our unit had a nail in hot water tank from factory, no shock absorbers to hold open cabinets, the list of poor workmanship is too long to list. No answer from Heartland. I have sent photos, cannot get them downloaded on here. It is not good..

danemayer

Hi Shirkster,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I guess if you bought this 2011 unit new, you've probably had it for around 5 or 6 years.

New forum members have to have several posts approved by a Moderator before you're allowed to post pictures. But if you post them to a photo website, you can always link to them.

From your mention of inside storage and weather, I'd guess you're aware that bubbling, if it's delamination, is usually caused by water intrusion. During your years of camping, have you ever been rained on? Maybe you have a caulking issue.

A 2011 unit is pretty far out of warranty, so I'm not sure what you can expect from Heartland other than advice. But the best way to make contact is to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. I'd suggest you stay on the line and wait for someone to pick up the call. Messages and emails are less predictable.

Shirkster

Our 2011 Elkridge was used 5 times in 2011, then stored inside. We bought it in 2015, recaulked entire camper, replaced the exterior door that was cracked, replaced hot water tank, never used, with nail hole in bottom from factory and the list goes on and on. Every cut out in our exterior walls; furnace, fridge, lights, is coming away from the trailer. It is really unbelievable... Yes, I'm aware out of warranty and of course the camper has been rained on, summer only...no freezing temps, no snow has ever been on it. I wish I could put a pic on here, you would gasp. We are a poor towing advertisement for Heartland, everyone approaches and asks. Thanks for your reply.

danemayer

Our 2011 Elkridge was used 5 times in 2011, then stored inside. We bought it in 2015, recaulked entire camper, replaced the exterior door that was cracked, replaced hot water tank, never used, with nail hole in bottom from factory and the list goes on and on. Every cut out in our exterior walls; furnace, fridge, lights, is coming away from the trailer. It is really unbelievable... Yes, I'm aware out of warranty and of course the camper has been rained on, summer only...no freezing temps, no snow has ever been on it. I wish I could put a pic on here, you would gasp. We are a poor towing advertisement for Heartland, everyone approaches and asks. Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any thoughts on why the exterior walls are suddenly coming apart after 5 years? Or did it have this problem when you bought it last year?

Shirkster

Do you have any thoughts on why the exterior walls are suddenly coming apart after 5 years? Or did it have this problem when you bought it last year?
There were a few spots showing that were coming away from sides, back, as I said, everywhere something was cut out, lights, etc. caulking was very poorly done on one side of camper, from factory, other side well done, although my husband recaulked entire trailer. This trailer was built in 2010, the year of Elkhart Ind rv sales diminished with the economy. We are wondering if this trailer was actually started before that date and sat somewhere. All my cabinets are even pre drilled for shock absorbers to hold doors up, but none installed. You have to hold the doors up with your head to put something in cupboard. We were told that was not an Elkridge option ...so we ordered them...then received with no screws and one is a speciality screw. Heartland said they don't supply or sell screws...But back to the sidewalls, my husband is aware of the separation can be due to moisture...and to answer your question as to wondering why...our opinion is poor workmanship in production of this specific rv. There are lemons in all products and unfortunately after 40 years of working, have retired and got caught up in this one. Thanks for your time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The problem you will have is that you are the second owner. It's very hard to prove what did or did not happen before you owned it. Heartland may not be able to offer solutions based on that. I don't know that Heartland took a downturn in 2011, they were bought by Thor, and Thor doesn't typically buy companies that are struggling, they buy ones that are profitable.

Nevertheless, since we had a 2010 ER, I really want to see the pics.
We had an area of delam under a window that was determined not to be water damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shirkster

The problem you will have is that you are the second owner. It's very hard to prove what did or did not happen before you owned it. Heartland may not be able to offer solutions based on that. I don't know that Heartland took a downturn in 2011, they were bought by Thor, and Thor doesn't typically buy companies that are struggling, they buy ones that are profitable.

Nevertheless, since we had a 2010 ER, I really want to see the pics.
We had an area of delam under a window that was determined not to be water damage.

image.jpg
This is the worst of them and getting larger. Small ones on sides where cut outs are. We really don't know if water dam or not since there are so many areas coming up. Thx

Shirkster

Wow, that's some serious delam.

No argument here and Heartland says it is likely water intrusion; however, it is happening wherever there is a cut out, lights, furnace, fridge, belly doors. It is what it is. This unit is very well taken care of, we live in it during the winter in fla. it is quite the traveling poor advertisement for Heartland.

danemayer

You didn't say whether you bought this from a relative, close friend, or next door neighbor, or from a stranger. Looking at the picture, I think maybe you haven't been told the entire story on the years prior to you buying it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You didn't say whether you bought this from a relative, close friend, or next door neighbor, or from a stranger. Looking at the picture, I think maybe you haven't been told the entire story on the years prior to you buying it.

I agree.

Shirkster

I agree.

It was prev bought thru a dealer 25 mi from us. It was used maybe 5 times, stored inside entire time 5 miles from us. When we bought it, it still had the new rv smell, everything was virtually brand new as from factory. It was a stranger we bought it from and my husband looked it over thoroughly and we did see very small spots of delam. The seller bought it too quickly with intent to camp, his wife however did not have that same intent. He was paying payments on it for 5 yrs and was time to pay storage again and decided to sell and take his loss. The cabinets all overhead were pre drilled for shock absorbers to hold doors up...never installed. Heartland says Elkridge didn't have that option...what, you just let the doors flap? We bought hinges, they don't supply or sell screws for them and one screw is a specialty screw. Ok. Hot water tank had a nail hole in the bottom..obviously from pallet in factory but installed anyway, ok, $400 for new one. Tv was literally half attached to wall...we fixed. Sorry, we are not grippers and my husband is a wonderful handyman, electrician and we fix before complaining....but sometimes enough is enough. Beautiful rev we have, just a shame the workmanship (one side caulked perfectly, the other half done--whole trailer redone within two weeks of our purchase) is obvious that it is factory originated. Thanks for your input.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our 2015 Prowler has those lift-up cabinets along the top and none of them have those little gas struts to hold them open.

I've been thinking of getting some magnets to attach to the ceiling that would stick to the knobs to hold them open.

Shirkster

Our 2015 Prowler has those lift-up cabinets along the top and none of them have those little gas struts to hold them open.

I've been thinking of getting some magnets to attach to the ceiling that would stick to the knobs to hold them open.
That's crazy. All our cabinets are predrilled for them, but crazy they never installed them. You can contact Heartland and buy them, but no screws. Our neighbors 2015 Sundance has them installed BUT their bedroom slide fills up with water....so I'll take flapping cabinets. Thanks for your input.

mlpeloquin

That's crazy. All our cabinets are predrilled for them, but crazy they never installed them. You can contact Heartland and buy them, but no screws. Our neighbors 2015 Sundance has them installed BUT their bedroom slide fills up with water....so I'll take flapping cabinets. Thanks for your input.

Heartland has the cabinets built for several of their RV lines. They must use the same cabinets in other lines that have the strut installed. Thus the holes are put in so the cabinets will work in any instillation.

kowAlski631

I can understand your frustration - from how the trailer was described to you you were expecting it to be in pristine condition. Some things have occurred to me as I read your postings.
The delamination you saw at first - was that where the big area shown in the posted happened?
Caulking has to be checked at least yearly - even if it's stored. Caulking dries out and pulls away. Was the trailer rained on in the 2 weeks before being recaulked?
The hot water heater was never used by the prior owner in any of the 5 outings? I'm surprised by that, since that means they had no hot water for cleaning or hygiene. Not saying it didn't happen, but just surprised.
I have to suggest that something happened to the caulking on the one side while it was sitting in storage. I know you believe that the fault lies with Heartland, but 5 years later that's impossible to ascertain unless there are photos from then showing the lack of caulking. I'd also question the notion that the hot water heater was ruptured on a pallet and installed damaged. Again, 5 years after the fact no one can be certain what happened.
Look, not attacking you or defending Heartland, but too many things just don't add up.
Martha

Shirkster

I can understand your frustration - from how the trailer was described to you you were expecting it to be in pristine condition. Some things have occurred to me as I read your postings.
The delamination you saw at first - was that where the big area shown in the posted happened?
Caulking has to be checked at least yearly - even if it's stored. Caulking dries out and pulls away. Was the trailer rained on in the 2 weeks before being recaulked?
The hot water heater was never used by the prior owner in any of the 5 outings? I'm surprised by that, since that means they had no hot water for cleaning or hygiene. Not saying it didn't happen, but just surprised.
I have to suggest that something happened to the caulking on the one side while it was sitting in storage. I know you believe that the fault lies with Heartland, but 5 years later that's impossible to ascertain unless there are photos from then showing the lack of caulking. I'd also question the notion that the hot water heater was ruptured on a pallet and installed damaged. Again, 5 years after the fact no one can be certain what happened.
Look, not attacking you or defending Heartland, but too many things just don't add up.
Martha
We have had rvs for 40 yrs, very pro maintenance on interior and exterior. The hot water tank was never used, they pulled the RV to a campground close to their home and only slept in it. The stove, oven and micro were never used. When the hot water tank was removed, they actually cut it apart to determine what had happened, it was very clear. I am apt to believe the caulking dried out in storage and believe me, my husband did not clean out caulking and let it rain on the Rv.
I guess we were spoiled by Jayco for too many years. It is what it is, even tho you don't think these things add up...believe me, they do. Thanks for your input.

sengli

By the looks of the delam, I would think that rear window has something to do with the possible leak. I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Shirkster

By the looks of the delam, I would think that rear window has something to do with the possible leak. I am sorry to hear of your troubles.
You would think so, but what concerns us is the delamination that around even the little reflector lights, the exterior furnace, fridge and belly doors. Not saying, but almost like the edges were never attached to the body where there are cut outs. Thanks for your input.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
As far as the water heater goes, if the previous owners would have at least tried it out, it would have been replaced under warranty. But not 5 years after the fact. Yes the caulking looks like it dried out and the previous owners had it get rained on once or twice and then put it back in storage. Causing the delam. And if it did not have caulking on it when they bought it, it would have been fixed under warranty. Looks like you bought a used RV that had some unseen damage to it. Fix it up and have some fun. Or trade it in on a new Heartland and they will fix everything you do find that is wrong with it. They are very good at making good on warranty work.