Air Bags

Mattman

Not Politicians, but thinking about adding an Air Lift system to my Yukon XL.
Air Lift brand seems to be the only one I found. Says made in Lansing so close to home for me.
So looking at the Wireless One or the single path smart air. Manual adjust versus the auto. Is the auto worth the extra $170.00 ish for it. I dont think the dual path is worth the extra money for what I am doing. But open to hear options.
I like the Wireless in that I can raise and lower if needed for hooking and UN hooking the camper. But leaves me to decided what level is correct.
The smart air would be fix and forget. But additional sensors to fail or things to go wrong.

So looking for some opinions, experiances, or other system?

Thanks

ram_1955

I just installed Firestone Ride-Rite on the pickup and the DW's Murano. I have both setup as manual with left/right fills. My thoughts were that I have an air compressor at home and I don't plan to adjust air when on the road. If the truck rides a little rough without the trailer oh well. Just my $0.02!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I installed firestones on mine about 8 years ago. Mine are manual and I ran the air lines out beside the license plate. I have them dialed in and our last long trip last summer was 2 and a half weeks and I never had to add air.

coram8

I have the wireless remote with on-board compressor. I didn't think it was worth the money but decided to have it done anyway on a friend's recommendation. Wouldn't have another one without it. It is so nice to adjust the air based on whatever I'm doing. Just the truck, low pressure. Small trailer with ATVs, bump it a little. Hook up the fifth wheel, run the pressure up. Truck feels a little soft or too stiff, adjust it running down the road. To each their own. Maybe I'm just getting
lazy and like a remote control!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have the Air Lift with the auto level system. Works slicker than scum on a swamp. Once get the level sensor set, your off and running. No muss...no fuss.

One word of caution, make sure the height sensor fuse is connected to a fuse that is "hot" in key on only. Don't ask why I know.

Lynn1130

Look at the bottom of this thread and you will find a list of past discussions about this topic. Those may help also. I have Air Lift and remote control. Would not tow without it.

DW_Gray

When towing a conventional trailer, a tow vehicle with a properly equipped and adjusted weight distribution system (WDS) should never need an air bag system. If you have the correct and properly adjusted WDS and it still is not leveling your tow vehicle, the trailer's tongue weight may be too heavy and/or the trailer is exceeding the GVWR or you're exceeding the tow vehicle's rear GAWR. If you haven't weighed your rig, consider using the 4-step weighing plan at FifthWheelSt.com for conventional trailers.

farside291

I installed the airbags to keep those overloads from killing my back every time I hit a bump. Now its just a dull thud without the metal to metal hit. Night and day for comfort.

Mattman

So I used the calculator and see I am right at my max GVWC for what I got. Not factorying my luggage and some water in the camper. I love false advertisement of your trucks max trailer w/ equalizer hitch rating and how high it is. But how close it puts you to that full capacity.
So I been looking at some Ford excursions. What's funny is the same truck with different motors can change the max weight of everything even though the rest of the truck is the same. But added the excursion when you go to the diesel motor adds even more weight to the rig. Crazy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Matt, the engine has everything to do with weight ratings. You have to have the power to pull weight. That is why a diesel has a higher rating than a V6 or V8 gas motor. Gear ratio's and brake size also play a factor.