Towing Rigs

ray b

ray b
We want to buy a 3400Rl. Can our truck pull it We drive from Ct. To Fla., and return 6 mos later. I-95 is flat.
The truck is an 05 Dodge quad cab 4x4 2500 short bed with towing pkg.We know turning will not be a problem. Engine is 5.9 Cummins with auto trans. I have put in a KN air filter, straight thru muffler, Banks high ram intake tube. Power is boosted 50-70 hp (Tow-Haul mode) with a Bullydog downloader.

ddj

I have a 3500 2000 Ford diesel to pull my 37 ft landmark. The motor is a 7.3.I've been told that I can tow in overdrive as long as the transmission isn't shifting up and down. When I use the tow mode the rpm goes to 3000 and they say its to high and the engine will run hot. I've towed the trailer about 8000 miles in overdrive and it handles it just fine. When going up hills I'll put it in tow mode. How is everyone else towing? ddj

Dusty

I tow a Bighorn 3500 with a f250 and a 3.73 rearend and I use overdrive 90 percent of the time. Long as the transmission isnt searching, it seems fine.

Dusty

Gary F

Ray B,

The big issue with all of us is weight. Towing within the vehicle manufactures GVW (gross vehicle weight) limits is what you need to be concerned with.

1. Weigh your truck with a full load of fuel and normal number of occupants and cargo.
2. Subtract scaled weight from the vehicles published GVW. Check door post ID label for vehicle spec's on front / rear axle GVW's and combined GVW.
3. The difference between the scaled weight and the truck GVW rating will give you an idea of what trailer size / weight you can safely tow. You also will need to know what the combined weight rating for your vehicle as well. This combined rating is truck and trailer maximum towing capacity

My set up, 2004 F350 crew cab single wheel diesel towing a 3200 Bighorn is real close to the manufacture combined limits of 9,900 / 20,000.

With a little research on the numbers, you will be able to dial in on the proper size and weight trailer you need.

Gary F

BluegrassMan

Tow Rigs

Hi Guy's:
My rig is an antique compared to everyone elses.:( I had a choice this year, buy a new truck and keep my 98' Sea Breeze or spring for an 05' Grand Canyon. Well I'm towing the Landmark with a 96' Dodge 2500HD with a V-10,automatic,with 3:54 gears. I also tow in overdrive, mostly.

You may ask, Why didn't you get the Cummins 5.9 ? Way back in 96, the diesels were not putting out the HP and TQ that they are now. The V-10 put out 300hp and 450lbs. TQ. The highest of all.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID, I TOW MY LANDMARK JUST FINE. I can still pass some trucks going up hill. Maybe in 2008. I'll get a new truck, my pockets aren't as deep as some of the guys on this forum.:cool: