Black Tank Odor / AC Vents

red4re

I have a 2009 Sundance 3300BHS. I get a strong black tank odor through the AC Vents inside the coach when I flush the toilet or drain the tanks. It is bad when I flush the toilet, but it is "run you out of the camper bad" when I drain the black tank. I get no odor in the bathroom from the toilet, but if the AC is on, I get a bad odor coming out of the AC vents near the rear of the coach in the bunkhouse and kitchen and eventually all the AC vents. The wind was blowing from the rear of the camper forward which should have taken the vent odor away from the AC unit itself. I fear a possible vent leak into the roof area where the duct work is.

Any ideas? This is my third camper and I have never had a problem with the others. I use treatment in the tank - double the dose when hot. The bowl holds water and I shut the lid when I flush. I keep the valve on the black tank closed until ready to dump.

This past weekend, when I drained the black tank, I thought my wife was going to throw up it was so bad in the camper. I went in and it was coming from the AC vents. We opened up the doors and windows and turned on the kithcen vent and it took about 30 minutes before we could go back in. I used a whole spray can of lysol this weekend just to keep it bareable.

Help!

Thanks

red

red4re

Hello!!!! I just noticed there are no replies to any of the posts in this section. I guess I will go National.

red

Note from Admin: See reply from Customer Service. Please have a dealer/service center look into this and take care of it for you.

jimtoo

Hi red4re,

I do not know why someone from the factory has not replied yet, but would suggest you call customer service at this time. They can get you in contact with the right people. Heartland customer service is 877-262-8032 or 574-262-8030

JimM

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I dont really have a good answer as to what the cause could be. The one thing that comes to mind is if you are getting a down draft and the a/c is pulling the air in through the vent. The other could be that if the vent line is to far into the roof (not protruding out into the vent) causing the air again to get sucked in through the a/c. Either way I feel it would be a relatively easy repair by a dealer.

trumanr

We have experienced something similar when our A/C is on. When we run our A/C it starts to smell like dirty socks. When the galley water faucet is turned on while the A/C is on the odor will run you out of the camper. This odor coupled with the problem I earlier posted about my black water tank odor is enough to make me want to puke. (I will try some of the suggestions I read on the blackwater odor thread, thanks)

SmokeyBare

A few things to consider and give a try.

One is to take the ceiling grill off the A/C, not just the Filter grill but the whole grill assembly. Use a flash light to look all around the inside of the A/C, looking closely for any openings on the frame or between the A/C's Frame and above the ceiling. What you want to do is prevent any air from being pulled in from the Ceiling or attic of the RV. This will help the A/C run more efficiently for one, but will also prevent any fumes that might be inside the attic from being pulled into the A/C's return air.

There is a chance that the Black Tank Vented fumes are being pulled into the Attic area. If the Black Tank Vent pipe is at the roof level, IF the Vent Pipe has an opening around the pipe, that opening COULD allow the vented fumes to be pulled back into the RV's Attic. Not saying this is where the problem is... but I feel it's work looking at for no other reason but peace of mind. If the Vent Pipe appears short, attach a ABS Plastic Coupling on top of the pipe to make it a little longer. Seal around the hole cut through the roof (But Inside the Vent Cover) with some spray insulating foam.

In our BigHorn, one of the roof top Tank Vents location is next to the Ceiling fan in the toilet room. When I am running the Fantastic Fan in the Kitchen and I have the Bathroom ceiling vent open... I can smell fumes coming in the RV. Closing the Bathroom vent opening solves that problem. Often times when fans pull air out of the RV by way of Ceiling vent openings or through the kitchen hood fan... this puts a negative pressure or vacuum in the trailer. That negative pressure forces air to be drawn in from where ever it can find it... Such as through the open spaces along the side of the A/C frame or through holes in the A/C frame built for electrical cables to run through.

Maybe this will help?!?! Good Luck.

Marv