Door Repair

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to repair a dent/hole in a hollow core door? Had a run in with a nearby door handle when slide was closing. Fill in and try covering with a similar color/pattern heat activated fake wood look vinyl?

be3a93e3ed6ee617a4af2ad1e467bf49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus, the easiest fix would be a new 365.
Or for a little less cash maybe a call to the home office would get you a new door.

Peace
Dave

farside291

Could you cover it with a couple of raised panels. The panels could be glued to the door covering the hole. Probably would improve the looks of the door at the same time.

boatto5er

Gus, the easiest fix would be a new 365.
Or for a little less cash maybe a call to the home office would get you a new door.

Peace
Dave

Dave, are you kicking kickbacks from Heartland ? I really want to keep this door if possible because it has the etched glass in it and really looks quite nice (minus the new hole). I'll check with the factory, but at 6 years old, not optimistic about a replacement being available.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried to just rub that out with a little Pledge?
I'm just here to try and help Gus. :)

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Gus , the DW put a hole in the rear side wall ,closing the slides. I got some decorative wood pieces from the Lowes I believe and stained them to match the wood in rig. I then put them on the hole and one the other side to match, looks like factory. They come in all shapes and sizes ,I used round ones . You might have to use a few or different ones to make a pattern that looks right.

mlpeloquin

Raised panels or decorative wood pieces would work, but sand the old finish off under them so the wood glue will be absorbed in. Pin nail them with a pneumatic or electric nail gun so it will hold it in place while the glue dries. Pin it at angles not perpendicular to the door.

boatto5er

Good ideas on the decorative pieces. The biggest issue is that the hole is exactly opposite the doorknob (the hole is from a doorknob on the bathroom door), but I think I can figure something out. Thanks for the reminder on sanding the finishing and using the finishing nails.

boatto5er

How about a brass plate? Not sure where your hole is at.

2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. If the bathroom door is left open, the bedroom door, attached to the super slide, can (and obviously will) hit the lock button on the bathroom door when the slide is brought in. Survived over 5 years without doing it, but didn't notice the open bathroom door this time.

7180b2b8cf50f6cdb85adf3aa89f9241.jpg

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the same door in our Keylargo. Would miss the glass in door door.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GWRam

Wallprotectoer3.5item30348.jpg
How about 3.5" wall protector item #30348 at lowes for $2.27. A little paint or stain and a faux wood grain done with a brush and your good as new. It will blend with door finish and if it ever happens again, the protector will take the hit which is designed to do.

carl.swoyer

You could try to collect the pieces. Then use spray foam to build up the interior of the hole and gracefully glue the pieces back in and touch up with matching stain.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !