Mounting Paper Towel Holder Under Upper Cabinet

EurekaJ

Looking for advise/recommendation on installing the attach metal paper towel dispenser under my upper corner cabinet over the island. The towel holder will be installed with 2 screws on the one end (see image) so there would be some good leverage if pressure was applied on the other end.

The upper cabinet looks like it is about 2" thick between floor of the cabinet and the underside. Would 2 screws 1-1/2 long hold the towel holder? Don't know what material is in between the cabinet floor and underside.

Maybe I shouldn't even try? Tired of the plastic one we installed, the rolls always falls out!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Andy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have mounted things under cabinets but never a paper towel holder.
If you are going to do that use fender washers on the top side.
If you apply pressure to the underside you might find a framing strip which would add strength.
You might also consider a free standing counter top model.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our paper towels ride here on this over the door hanger. Frees up counter space.
313c27f35f5be3103bd114f6e71a9217.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I mounted the same paper towel holder in both of our Heartland trailers to the bottom of the cabinet over the counter.

(edited in) not the same paper towel holder that you have

I just used the wood screws that came with the paper towel holder.

I'd go out and take a photo of it, but we got almost two feet of snow yesterday and I haven't dug out a path to the Prowler yet.

ProwlerSnow-IMAG0235.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
d6f8d3330762ed8ce2b823d4b00c7668.jpg

This is an over the cabinet paper towel holder, found on Amazon. There are a number of styles/finishes.

We could not have the vertical holder on the counter, as one of our cats like to attack and destroy paper products when we aren't around. This at least puts it up higher. It's only been attacked 3 times in the past 2 months. ;)

travelin2

I've never seen a paper towel holder like this, but I like it. Could you tell us where you bought it?
Thanks

Honestly I'm not sure where we bought it since its been awhile ago but we also have a towel bar and a towel ring that fit over the cupboard doors. I'm guessing it was either at Lowes or Target as they get a lot of our $$$.
I found this one on the CW website
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/...-paper-towel-holder-satin-nickel-finish/83376
I see too Erika has a reference to Amazon.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the cabinet bottom and you may find it has a double bottom. I mounted this towel rod to the cabinet over our toilet using machine screws, washers and nuts. The screw needs to span the space between the panels and the washers will spread the force over a larger area, preventing damage to the thin luaun plywood.

We also have to protect our paper products from a large male cat than can almost mouth a new roll of TP.

Hoosier Wolverine

Honestly I'm not sure where we bought it since its been awhile ago but we also have a towel bar and a towel ring that fit over the cupboard doors. I'm guessing it was either at Lowes or Target as they get a lot of our $$$.
I found this one on the CW website
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/...-paper-towel-holder-satin-nickel-finish/83376
I see too Erika has a reference to Amazon.

Thanks for the info (and to you as well Erica). I'll look around locally and check out Amazon since they still have some of my $$ on account

Bohemian

I mounted a towel rack on the bottom of the cabinets at home. I cut a piede of scrap wood to fit the space between the bottom edges of the cabinet filling that space left to right, and midway front to back. Glued the scrap to the bottom of the caninetbwith wood glue. After well cured, I sfreed the towel rack into the scrap wood. It looks great. Essentially invisible.

travelin2

Each floor plan is different, hence, we use the over the door rack as posted previously. The only under the cabinet available in our rig has both a light and 110v receptacle.

EurekaJ

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I have decided to bolt it through into the inside of the floor of the upper cabinet with washers and cut off the bolts. We have a tray in there anyways with a 1/4" clearance under it.

I will post pictures when we get to it.

MTPockets

Looking for advise/recommendation on installing the attach metal paper towel dispenser under my upper corner cabinet over the island. The towel holder will be installed with 2 screws on the one end (see image) so there would be some good leverage if pressure was applied on the other end.

The upper cabinet looks like it is about 2" thick between floor of the cabinet and the underside. Would 2 screws 1-1/2 long hold the towel holder? Don't know what material is in between the cabinet floor and underside.

Maybe I shouldn't even try? Tired of the plastic one we installed, the rolls always falls out!

View attachment 43757View attachment 43758

Andy
. We have one similar; the roll just slips over one end. I mounted ours under the cabinet, but first stained a 1"x 2" piece of wood to match cabinet, then mounted it across from one end of cabinet underside to other, so the ends were screwed into the frame on each end. Then the towel holder screws into the 1" board and it's very solid. That 1" board also dropped the rack just enough to provide a tad more clearance for the roll.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here is ours in the Prowler:

ProwlerPaperTowelHolder-P3280003.jpg

I had to put a chair wedge (white thingy) under the edge of the holder as it doesn't hold the roll in there tight without the flex.

We have the same holder in our house and had to do the same thing, although the one in the photo was in our Trail Runner previously and worked without the wedge.