Gear ratio 4:10 or 3:73??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So, doing the specs on a 2016 RAM. The Aisin transmission offers the 3:73 and 4:10 options. Both have great tow ratings. Just looking for some opinions on towing, mpg...etc. Still deciding on some other options like auto air lift suspension, trim level and COLOR!!

jnbhobe

I would like the 4.10's, 3.73's will help a little with mileage, It is a good all around gearing. A nice F-350 with 4.30's will do the trick too !!

Bohemian

Just a point of information.

The Aisin transmission with the 3.42 diff

Has about the same 1st gear final drive ratio as

The rf68 transmission with the 4.10 diff.

Thus the Gcwr differrnces.

4th and 6th gears ratios in the two transmissions are the same

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So, doing the specs on a 2016 RAM. The Aisin transmission offers the 3:73 and 4:10 options. Both have great tow ratings. Just looking for some opinions on towing, mpg...etc. Still deciding on some other options like auto air lift suspension, trim level and COLOR!!

Jamie, why do you need a new truck? You know it leads to a new Heartland.....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

MPG may cost you a little, but how much will a new truck cost you if you want to upgrade to a larger heaver 5er in the future? If you think you want to travel across the country in the future, get a dully. It is far more stable in side winds, but it is a matter of choice.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I believe the towing capacity with the 3.73's is almost 25,000 pounds. That is one hellava trailer.
I have the 3.73's in our Ram with the Aisin trans and I love it. I almost went with the 4:10's and I'm glad I didn't. With the 3:73 set up, you should be able to tow anything on the new RV lot.
That's my 2 cents.

Bill & Irene

GWRam

Jamie,
I have the Aisin with the 4:10. I traded my 2013 2500 in for our 2015 3500DRW when I realized I was over my GVWR and GAWR with our current camper. I don't know if I will ever need or want the extra 5500lbs GCWR or 5500lbs Max Trailer Weight that the 4:10 gives me over the 3:73 gears but its nice to have it available to me. I don't want my truck to limit our choices when buying any future 5ers so I went with the 4:10. There are 5ers out there with weights of 24000lbs which is over the 3:73 ratings.

To answer your questions on towing, mpg etc. With the 4:10 I consistently get Highway 15.2mpg, Town 13.3mpg without camper. When towing camper I consistently get 11.5mpg at 60mph and 10mpg at 70mph. I know slower is safer, my tires are rated for 75mph, I'm letting you know the mpg I get and it does vary based on towing speed.

Tows our Gateway great, very strong and stable. When I was looking to buy, the trucks available for purchase in the cab/model I wanted didn't have the air suspension installed. So I can't comment on that option. I did install the firestone airbags on the rear. I purchased the truck just before the Goshen rally last summer and wasn't sure if i would need the bags or not. We had only towed the camper twice with this truck before heading to the rally and never fully loaded for 5weeks of summer fun so I installed the airbags. I have never needed them. Just run around at min. pressure all the time.

I went with the Big Horn trim level. There was a big horn and a top of the Line trim model available on the lot. Ours was 15K less and I liked the Big Horn front grill and I don't like the high end grill.

Don't know which hitch you have but our Curt mounted easily into the bed/frame mounting system Ram uses. No drilling holes, easy install.

wehavefun

I have 2012 3500 dually with 4:10, my buddy has absolutely identical truck except for color and 3:73, when traveling on a recent trip, about 800 miles, we were $2 -$5 difference either way when fueling up, once I was I was shocked, thought there would be a big difference.

JWalker

Wasn't really in the market for one. Truck just turned 28k miles yesterday. Took it in for a airbag recall. One thing led to another. And know I'm sitting here with numbers in front of me. Not on the market for a new Heartland for a few more years.

- - - Updated - - -

MPG may cost you a little, but how much will a new truck cost you if you want to upgrade to a larger heaver 5er in the future? If you think you want to travel across the country in the future, get a dully. It is far more stable in side winds, but it is a matter of choice.

Definately a Dually!! Thanks

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We can talk about gears forever but what's really important is the color. Solid white with the polished aluminum wheels and chrome nerf bars looks great and compliments any color scheme.

JWalker

Jamie,
I have the Aisin with the 4:10. I traded my 2013 2500 in for our 2015 3500DRW when I realized I was over my GVWR and GAWR with our current camper. I don't know if I will ever need or want the extra 5500lbs GCWR or 5500lbs Max Trailer Weight that the 4:10 gives me over the 3:73 gears but its nice to have it available to me. I don't want my truck to limit our choices when buying any future 5ers so I went with the 4:10. There are 5ers out there with weights of 24000lbs which is over the 3:73 ratings.

To answer your questions on towing, mpg etc. With the 4:10 I consistently get Highway 15.2mpg, Town 13.3mpg without camper. When towing camper I consistently get 11.5mpg at 60mph and 10mpg at 70mph. I know slower is safer, my tires are rated for 75mph, I'm letting you know the mpg I get and it does vary based on towing speed.

Tows our Gateway great, very strong and stable. When I was looking to buy, the trucks available for purchase in the cab/model I wanted didn't have the air suspension installed. So I can't comment on that option. I did install the firestone airbags on the rear. I purchased the truck just before the Goshen rally last summer and wasn't sure if i would need the bags or not. We had only towed the camper twice with this truck before heading to the rally and never fully loaded for 5weeks of summer fun so I installed the airbags. I have never needed them. Just run around at min. pressure all the time.

I went with the Big Horn trim level. There was a big horn and a top of the Line trim model available on the lot. Ours was 15K less and I liked the Big Horn front grill and I don't like the high end grill.

Don't know which hitch you have but our Curt mounted easily into the bed/frame mounting system Ram uses. No drilling holes, easy install.

4:10- 30310 rating
3:73- 25010 rating

Both are well over what I need. Our 37 Ultimate is similar in specs to your 3650BH. Still debating on the Air suspension. We have the Airlift 5000 bags in the current truck. According to the website, the same part # is used for the 2015 model. (2016s are not shown yet). If that is the case, I'll pull them off the old and put on the new.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2012 3500 dually with 4:10, my buddy has absolutely identical truck except for color and 3:73, when traveling on a recent trip, about 800 miles, we were $2 -$5 difference either way when fueling up, once I was I was shocked, thought there would be a big difference.

Not that much difference at the pump. Good to hear. Thanks

Kbvols

Wasn't really in the market for one. Truck just turned 28k miles yesterday. Took it in for a airbag recall. One thing led to another. And know I'm sitting here with numbers in front of me. Not on the market for a new Heartland for a few more years.

It's funny how that happens. Been there done that several times. Go to dealership for one thing or another and something new comes home with me. Good luck on your decision. You know though you deserve a new truck, you work hard, you only live once......just trying to help you out...it's fun helping someone else spend their money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JWalker

We can talk about gears forever but what's really important is the color. Solid white with the polished aluminum wheels and chrome nerf bars looks great and compliments any color scheme.

Yes!!!!! Besides actually making the decision to do the deal, the color is giving me the most anxiety. Current truck is white crew cab. The last truck was a white crew cab. You just can't go wrong. I have been talking back and forth with Dave (BONES on the forum). He has basically the exact truck I want. He's been giving me info on all the options and accessories. It was going to be white until the wife walked by an 1500 RAM in Delmonico Red. No there is another color on the mix......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 56

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've had both. My 2010 F-450 had the 4:10 rear end (only option at that time). Carrying capacity of the 450 was overkill for my Landmark, but I was till hauling 43' gooseneck trailers. When I got my new 2014 F-350 I went for the 3:73 rear end (main reason I went with the 350 was to get the 3:73 rear end). Best decision of my life. The F-350 still has more towing capacity than my Landmark can hold and my gas mileage (OK, diesel mileage) rose considerably. Pulling the Landmark with the 4:10 rear end I could do no better than 7 or 8 mpg. With the 3:73 I am usually around 10 or 11 mpg with the trailer. Real test will be this fall when we head to Oregon. Right now I am very satidfied with the 3:73 and am glad I "down-graded" from the 450 to the 350.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

- - - Updated - - -

Definately a Dually!! Thanks

You know that after you buy that new honking dually Ram it'll pull that ER like it's not back there. Then you'll be looking at some big BAD@$$ 20K GWV Cyclone just so you can show off what that Ram can really handle !!!

chaplady

That's how it happens take truck in for one thing and next thing you know ur driving off in a new truck. Lol yes I know from experience l

JWalker

You know that after you buy that new honking dually Ram it'll pull that ER like it's not back there. Then you'll be looking at some big BAD@$$ 20K GWV Cyclone just so you can show off what that Ram can really handle !!!

No....probably something more like this.
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/toyhaulers/road-warrior/rw-427

- - - Updated - - -

That's how it happens take truck in for one thing and next thing you know ur driving off in a new truck. Lol yes I know from experience l

So this situation might have happened to you. Trying to talk myself out of it but they are giving me $2k more for my truck than what I paid 6 years ago.

chaplady

Oh wow 44 ft in lenght lol you will have to have chase cars lol

- - - Updated - - -

It's tough weight pros n cons I'm sure you ll find your answer. Big decesion good luck

jnbhobe

It's all just paper numbers Jamie, all that maters is what you have to pay difference. Check around and figure out what the invoice is and go from there.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So this situation might have happened to you. Trying to talk myself out of it but they are giving me $2k more for my truck than what I paid 6 years ago.

It's all just paper numbers Jamie, all that maters is what you have to pay difference. Check around and figure out what the invoice is and go from there.

The dealer could say they're giving you $5k more but it boils down to the monthly payments and total paid out for the new shiny one!!