Lights get Brighter when Converter kicks in

CabinetmakerII

I tried researching this forum but was unable to find the answer to my question. Is it normal for the lights to get noticeably brighter when the converter kicks in? I have checked the condition of the batteries as well the terminals. All is in good order. The coach has done this since it was new. It is equipped with a "Smart Converter" Any input would be appreciated.

Roller4tan

My thought is the converter may be going bad or the battery is. I'd have the battery checked at a local auto parts store.

danemayer

Might depend on what you mean by "kicks in" and how often this happens. The Progressive Dynamics PD9200 unit is normally going to have an output of 13.6 V DC when plugged into shore power. If it senses no battery usage over a 30 hour period, it will reduce voltage to 13.2 V for a while. If you're using the coach, it may never switch to this mode. But every 21 hours, it ups the voltage to 14.4 V for 15 minutes.

Bohemian

Might depend on what you mean by "kicks in" and how often this happens. The Progressive Dynamics PD9200 unit is normally going to have an output of 13.6 V DC when plugged into shore power. If it senses no battery usage over a 30 hour period, it will reduce voltage to 13.2 V for a while. If you're using the coach, it may never switch to this mode. But every 21 hours, it ups the voltage to 14.4 V for 15 minutes.

If you converter includes a 3 stage battery charger function you will see brightening of bulbs when in the bulk charge, high voltage mode. If this happens often, your batteries may be at the end of their life cycle.u