Fresh water tank falls out

toddt7081

We purchased our Heartland Elkridge 29RKSA new in 2010. It is a 2011 model and we have had a real problem with the fresh water tank falling out of the unit. This has happened twice since we have had it. The first time our dealership made the repair while still under the warranty. The Warranty is now expired and it has just happened again. Has anybody else out there had the same issues, if so what is the proper fix.

Thanks, Todd

jnbhobe

I bolted a piece of angle iron across the frame under the tank on mine. I have done that on most of my previous rigs too. I travel with a full water tank most of the time.

toddt7081

Thanks for the comments,

I spent a good part of the evening researching this issue, reading the blogs of other RV owners with like issues. At first I was bitter that as consumers of such a large ticket items that the quality/design can be so poor, but I'm over it now.
It sounds like I have my next weekends project booked and thanks to the comments from good people like yourself I'll once and for all sort out the issues with my with my water tank falling out of my trailer!

Thanks again, Todd

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had that happen on our first Landmark and found out after it fell out there was no support holding it in except at the two edges of the tank. The fix was to put two straps across the tank to hold it in. Our current Landmark came with straps supporting the tank.

sengli

I know I am crazy, but due to this possible issue, I just dont haul any water in the tank ever. I just get my water where I am staying. On my big horn the fresh water tank is approximately 55 gallons, and that is alot of weight.

danemayer

I know I am crazy, but due to this possible issue, I just dont haul any water in the tank ever. I just get my water where I am staying. On my big horn the fresh water tank is approximately 55 gallons, and that is alot of weight.
It is pretty rare. If you let every problem you read about on every other trailer get to you, it will make you crazy.

mlpeloquin

It is pretty rare. If you let every problem you read about on every other trailer get to you, it will make you crazy.

Yes it can until you realize that there are solutions to many issues that are not that hard to implement. Where else can you find where that smell is coming from? It can drive you nuts looking for it, but check the air admittance valve. If you have an island, there is one in the sink cabinet. I also have one in the bathroom. So it isn't a bad thing to read and you can get a lot of good information. Loctite is always your best friend because fasteners loosen up over time and you only want to fix it once. You get a lot of simple easy solutions to thing that can occur no matter who's product you have. Don't let the big things worry you. Remember very few have had the big things happen.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I don't understand how this happens? The forward angle iron support for the spare tire carrier is right under my FW tank. The drain for the FW tank is literally between the two angles of the tire carrier.
I don't have level up or IS so is my tire carrier mounted more forward than others??
We always carry 1/2+ tank of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your 2014 Bighorn is most likely very different than a 2011 29RKS Elkridge.
All trailers are not layed out the same.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Your 2014 Bighorn is most likely very different than a 2011 29RKS Elkridge.
All trailers are not layed out the same.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe. But others, unsure of models without researching the forum, have experienced losing their FW tank. Just saying...