Excursion vs 3/4 ton suburban

Mattman

So technically my current TV would be over my GCVR. Which is 13000 for my 1/2 ton Yukon XL. Been looking at excursions with the V10, or a 3/4 ton burban. Pluses and minuses to both. The excursion is a beast and hard to use for other things. But not an issue. The suburban has a few options that come motor wise. Some older models have the 454, the 6.0, or the 8.1. All will tow my trailer I think just fine.
Biggest difference I see is the cancer on the bodies. The fords seem to hold up a little better. But I have added 2 pistons. More plugs, more oil.
Gas mileage is still something to consider in that I want to be as responsible as I can be. Which kinda rules the 8.1 out from what I read. The V10 seems to get okay from what I have read.
I don't want to get into diesels. Not for me right now. Just looking for some experiances guys have had. I am looking at early 2000s trucks.
Thanks

coram8

We have a 2011 Yukon XL 2500 with the 6.0. We bought it to pull our TT with before we bought a fifth wheel. It pulled our trailer with no problems. Usually averaged in the 9-10 range on fuel mileage. We still have it and use it as a daily driver, getting about 12/13 around town and 15 on the highway.

JanAndBill

Prior to the 5th wheel, we had a V10 Excursion to pull our travel trailer. Never lacked for power or room and never passed up a gas station. Seemed like we measured our distance in gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. Other than that it was great. If you could find one with the 7.3 diesel you would really have something. Have a friend that has one, says he'll never part with it

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We had a suburban for 190k trouble free miles. We also have a friend with an X with the 7.3 in it and they so far have kept their word that they will never get rid of it.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

FiremanBill

If you could find an older Excursion with the 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel you would have a tank that will outlast just about anything. I would avoid the post 2003 models with the 6.0 like the plague though.

CarterKraft

Be very careful with the towing capacities of the excursion they are not exactly 3/4 ton specs. I have a 4x4 7.3 and I had to swap in truck code rear springs to handle the tongue weight of my Torque.

The rear hitch ratings are lower compared to the trucks and the hitch is special to the excursion (part of the rear collision system).

Even with the negatives I love mine and it will be a sad day to sell it.

I would be no more scared of the v10 than any other engine, it's not a large displacement engine.

HornedToad

The V10 is a great motor, but like the Excursion it has been retired in the Super Duty trucks.

We had a 2000 V10 Excursion, I think that was the first year they came out, with 4 kids it was DW's daily driver. It got 10 MPG towing a boat, 10 MPG in the city & 10 MPG on the hiway whether doin' 55 or 75 with 100,000+ carefree miles. When all the kids flew the coupe, DW went to a sedan.

In 2008 I was afraid of the new Ford diesel so I bought another V10, an F250, it got 7 to 9 MPG towing a 5'er, 10 MPG in the city & 12 MPG on the hiway. It was my daily driver for 5 years without any problems.

My V10 Excursion was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Mattman

Well, I picked up an excursion last night with the V10. Maybe in a few more years I will look for a power stroker. But for now the v10 has plenty of power for my camper. Only thing it really needs is the exhaust manifold repair. Then let the towing begin! And yes. I did factor the repair into the cost of the truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome to the Heartland family . . .

Please join the Heartland Owner's Club (HOC) and go to the Michigan HOC Rallies!

We are originally from Jackson, Michigan, but moved to Colorado in 1995, but plan to make a Michigan HOC Rally in the next year or two!

The HOC is what kept us in the Heartland family when we upgraded our trailer last year!

Really . . . this is true . . . we saw another brand trailer that we liked better, but chose our Prowler because it would keep us in the HOC!

Old and new . . .

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerBVKOAsunrise-P1000424.jpg ProwlerSunsetBVKOA-P1000402.jpg ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010693.jpg

A famous actor, who owns The Purple Rose Theater in Chelsea (I know you know who I mean), has the same last name as me and may be one of my cousins . . .

Mattman

JohnD,
Yes I do need to get in the HOC. I keep looking at the registration and keep getting side tracked. I will sign up soon. Maybe next year I will get to a rallie. Sounds like fun.
Oh, and my favorite person with that last name is Jack. Or at least 10 years ago it was. Funny how life changes.