Reinforce water tank mount

Capt7383

Ive read a few posts about water tanks bulging and falling out of their mounts. Is it advisable to do some sort of reinforcement of the mounting system? As long as I am under there should I reinforce the black and greys too? I dont have a problem yet, but sure dont want my tanks sliding down the freeway.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ive read a few posts about water tanks bulging and falling out of their mounts. Is it advisable to do some sort of reinforcement of the mounting system? As long as I am under there should I reinforce the black and greys too? I dont have a problem yet, but sure dont want my tanks sliding down the freeway.

In the early days the tanks were not properly reinforced. Since about 2010 improvements have been made. I would advise you to take a look at the way the tanks are mounted and be sure there are some straps that go across the tank. The straps that go across the tanks are what holds them in. It is normal for the tanks to swell when they get full.

Capt7383

In the early days the tanks were not properly reinforced. Since about 2010 improvements have been made. I would advise you to take a look at the way the tanks are mounted and be sure there are some straps that go across the tank. The straps that go across the tanks are what holds them in. It is normal for the tanks to swell when they get full.
I looked at the grey and black tanks. They seem to be secure but the straps are thin sheet metal held to the frame by one self tapping screw. As for the potable I will have to drop the coroplast and take a look. After reading these forums it can drive me crazy, maybe I worry too much.
Thanks for the reply

danemayer

It's fairly rare for tanks to drop, although sagging is common. On a tour of the Toy Hauler plant in 2013, I noticed that Heartland began using rigid metal supports under the holding tanks. Don't know if they're used on all trailers, but on whatever model I saw, it was obvious they were beefing up the tank support.

If you read the forum posts regularly, or if you browse a sub-forum, you'll get a sense for what problems are common. That will give also give you a sense of which things you should pay attention to on your own rig.