Fiberglass wax

Jburks

We have a 2008 Sundance 2900MK and I saw on this site somewhere that there are special waxes for fiberglass sides, does anyone have a favorite that you have had good luck with? Does it really make a difference in which kind or brand of wax you use.

fivernine

Jburks:

An excellent wax is Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax in liquid form. For years, I had used one brand or another of paste wax, convinced that it was 'harder' or somehow longer-lasting. A friend who waxes his 80 ft, 2-deck houseboat each year suggested I try Meguiar's in the liquid instead. On a lark, I called Meguiar's factory and asked for technical service. One of their chemists picked up and told me that liquid and paste have essentially the same ingredients and after buffing out either, all that remains is a film a few microns thick with exactly the same final constitution. All the rest is thrown away as powder and rag dust. The can of paste wax contains more wax, but requires more effort to apply and is a bit more sensitive to temperature when applying and buffing out. The liquid doesn't go as far, but is much easier to apply, more forgiving and quicker to cover broad areas. I have to completely agree with him.

My earlier 37' fiver would cover in slightly less than one can of paste wax or a bit more than two bottles of liquid. But for endurance, there was no difference--about nine months of camping and three months under cover in the winter. Then another coat was necessary in the spring.

There are some new formulas I haven't tried yet, but I doubt that any will cover more than a year. UV, heat, rain, chemicals, wash cleaners, dust at 65 mph--it is amazing to me that the microns-thin coating can stand up as long as it does.

Regarding cost, it costs me a bit less than twice as much to apply liquid as paste, but I can wax my whole rig in a weekend where the paste took me a day or so longer.

--Rick

Cyclone Traveler

Jburk,

I use the Klasse's products which are simple to apply and leave an amazing shine/protection. Checkout the how to's from http://www.properrvcare.com/ the go into detail on how to take care of the different types of fiberglass and gel coats. I have been using their products and suggestions for nearly a decade now. Hope this helps.

Jason

Jburks

Thanks Fivernine and Cyclone Traveler, I knew I could count on some excellent advise, I'm not sure which I will use, I may do a test by trying one prduct on one side and the other on the the opposite to see which I prefer, but I wanted to make sure not to do any damage to the surface. I appreciate your sugestions.

Jack

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We have half the trailer waxed with a new 3M marine wax that has UV blockers in it. Will get to the other half this weekend. Have no experience with it other than it's fairly easy to apply and buff. Will let you know in the Fall. :)
I've always used 303 for trim, awnings, decals, tires and seals. I have used that product for nearly 15 years and it's a great one. One of the only products approved by Dicor for yur roofing material. It does make it really slippery though, so be careful.

J

Jumpshot

We have half the trailer waxed with a new 3M marine wax that has UV blockers in it. Will get to the other half this weekend. Have no experience with it other than it's fairly easy to apply and buff. Will let you know in the Fall. :)
I've always used 303 for trim, awnings, decals, tires and seals. I have used that product for nearly 15 years and it's a great one. One of the only products approved by Dicor for yur roofing material. It does make it really slippery though, so be careful.

what is 303?