Propane smell

bdb2047

I can smell propane in camper, alarm has not gone off.the first I noticed it was in compartment for door side tank but now can notice it in trailer but seams to worse in door side compartment. I have replaced the pig tails for tanks,checked all connections with wrench and a spray leak detector with no leak found. In the door side compartment for tank is red high pressure regulator(?) that I am going to replace also will replace rubber hose between tanks as it has a nick in it where it passes thru compartment wall cannot find leak in either of these. Hate to be a parts replacer any ideas of what else to look for?

mlpeloquin

I it common to both tanks? Have you turned one off and the other on? Have you tested the selector valve?

danemayer

Our 2011 had a leaky regulator on the doorside in year 2. Smelled propane when near the tank.

If you smell it inside, it's a serious leak and you should close that tank and stop using that side right now. Set the regulator on the other side to pull from its tank only.

bdb2047

Only when using door side tank, have swapped tanks from side to side with no change so tank itself is not problem. We are at home currently only use propane for heat if it gets cold for pipes so able work off other tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How are you checking for leaks? Soapy water or a bonafide gas detector? For minimal cost, you can purchase a small portable gas detector that you can use to trace the lines and fittings. Another tool for the RV toolbox.

bdb2047

How are you checking for leaks? Soapy water or a bonafide gas detector? For minimal cost, you can purchase a small portable gas detector that you can use to trace the lines and fittings. Another tool for the RV toolbox.

Just using a spray liquid meant for leak detection.Just started looking at detectors never adverse to a new tool

Lou_and_Bette

Had a similar problem, could not find the leak until I accidentally passed my finger over the bottom of the in-line red pressure regulator and got a "psssst" sound. Was leaking out of small vent hole on the bottom side of the regulator. Replaced the regulator and no more smell.

bdb2047

Had a similar problem, could not find the leak until I accidentally passed my finger over the bottom of the in-line red pressure regulator and got a "psssst" sound. Was leaking out of small vent hole on the bottom side of the regulator. Replaced the regulator and no more smell.

Looks like that is my problem also,found it this morning the same way.Sprayed with the leak detector solution and it did not show anything ran my finger around it and could hear when I pressed on vent hole. Thanks

RVFun4Us

When we smelled propane inside of our rig a few years ago, we traced it to the screw on the side of the tank valve. The one they open when filling the tank to indicate the tank is full. Sometimes they forget to close this screw all the way after filling the tank. So now I always make sure that screw is tight before putting the tank back in the compartment. Only other times we smell it is when the tank is close to empty. Good indicator that it is time to switch tanks.