Cancer Sucks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This sure gets old. I am posting this FYI and so those that are having trouble with reflux get checked out. Remember untreated reflux can lead to Esophageal Cancer.

I got a PET/CT scan on Monday (3/28/16). They found a "Maligant Neoplasm of the lower third of the esophagus". This is my 4th round with Esophageal Cancer. My Oncologist told me since I have had radiation twice and a major surgery (Ivor-Lewis Esophagectomy) I couldn't have radiation and surgery was not an option because they have not had good results (most don't make it out of a second surgery). He told me Chemo was about the only option but not yet because it will make me so sick it will really deteriorate my lifestyle. He said Chemo would be the last resort when I start getting sick. Also the tumor is slow growing (maybe 2 years) that waiting till my health deteriorates for Chemo. After some discussion we decided to get a EGD (Endoscope) with a biopsy to better determine the stage and be absolutely certain the tumor is cancer (even though we already are sure it is). I also told the doctor to explore the surgical option and consult with the Radiation Oncologist to confirm the radiation option.

So what I know now is the road ahead will be filled with potholes but with God's help, a great team of doctors, and the power of Jesus we will make this travel. I will know more after the EGD and more doctor consultations. The positive out of all of this is I am being treated at the M.D.Anderson Cancer Center in Houston which is a top Cancer Hospital.

If anyone else out there is fighting Esophageal Cancer let me know as I will be happy to compare notes. Please keep me in your prayers for God's healing. Thanks:(

lynndiwagoner

You're at the right hospital, cutting edge and great Doctors. There were people from all over the world there. My wife had cancer and we traveled all the way from OKC to Houston. Stayed at Lakeview South, which caters to MDA patients. She ended up having Chemo and yes it's rough, but it really works regardless of what you hear. 3.5 years later and she's cancer free. Have faith, they can really do a lot now. Good luck Jim.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You're at the right hospital, cutting edge and great Doctors. There were people from all over the world there. My wife had cancer and we traveled all the way from OKC to Houston. Stayed at Lakeview South, which caters to MDA patients. She ended up having Chemo and yes it's rough, but it really works regardless of what you hear. 3.5 years later and she's cancer free. Have faith, they can really do a lot now. Good luck Jim.

Lakeview is a great place to stay. We stayed there 6 years ago for 5 months when I was going through my first round of Chemo/Radiation and surgery. Nowadays you cannot even get in to Lakeview as they stay booked all of the time. I have been through 28 rounds of Chemo/Radiation twice over 5 years and have had surgery twice. My last surgery was 1 1/2 years ago to remove a cancerous node in my neck and removal of my left vocal code nerve. Then 6 weeks later surgery to put an implant in my left vocal cord so I could talk. My first surgery was removal of most of the stomach and esophageal and 25 lymph nodes. That was a very major one. That is why the doctor is saying surgery is so risky. We shall see. Not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me but just don't want anyone else to have to go through this.

jimtoo

Sorry to hear this Jim,, Bette and I are praying for your success in beating this again. :)

Jim M

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dang Jim. Prayers for you. I have lost too many people close to me very recently to many forms of cancer. #cancersucks
Please let me know if we can do anything for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Sorry to hear this Jim, Dorothy and I will keep you in our prayers. Keep the faith and stay strong.

Aandaar

Jim

We don't know you personally but Victoria and I will add you to our prayer list. With Gods help all things are possible.

Kbvols

Hate to hear this. Cancer does suck. We'll all be praying for you. You hang in there and get better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim, good thoughts and prayers are coming your way. Good luck my friend. We'll be back in the area in June, so maybe we can touch bases then.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Jim,

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayer!! You're absolutely correct in the title of this thread. Cancer does SUCK!!! Keep your chin up and positive thoughts in the forefront of your mind.

Rod

jhardin

Jim,
Sorry to hear, but it looks like you got the Great Physician on your side. Angela and will be lifting you and your family up in prayer.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Jim,

Prayers to you and your family from Carol and I.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Best wishes from us!

Hope everything works out for the best!

Cathy's dad died of cancer three weeks ago today . . . he only found out about it a little over a month before he died.

We are getting ready now to go to his memorial service this afternoon.

JanAndBill

Yes it does. Going through relapse now with DW. Her oncologist gave us the best advise shortly after she was diagnosed, "Live each day to the fullest". We've followed that advice and left the rest up to God.