6.4 Owners!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have been looking to upgrade our pickup and had a really good deal just fall in our lap yesterday. It is an 08 with the 6.4 liter diesel in it. As it is used I am asking the owners of this motor to chime in on pros and cons and things I should look for before we hook up and start pulling our rig down the road. I am aware of a few issues such as the radiator and hose leaks. The pick up runs super sweet and I am amazed at how much nicer it rides than my 02. I appreciate the help.

avvidclif

I have an 09 and have had very few problems. Yep the bottom radiator hose leaks every so often, called a cold weather leak. I just watch the antifreeze level and go on. A Ford mechanic advised to check the lifters and rocker arms between 100-150k mi. Other than that just drive it. Of course mine is almost broke in at 63k.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My '08 blew up on me just after 109k miles. Replace motor and still had issues. Traded it in for the 6.7 and got a call 6 mths later that guy who bought it from my dealer was having problems. If it was me I would stay away from the 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

Bought new job 1 currently has 54,300 on it only comes out for towing. New radiator last year other than that oil and fuel filters every 5,000 miles. If it's coming from a dealer would have them run an Oasis report on it. If your not able to get this let me know the VIN and I'll have my buddy run it for you. This will tell you anytime it was in a dealership and what was done to it.

John T Bettencourt

Stay away from the 6.0 and the 6.4 you are just asking for problems. I have many friends with them and only place they can trade them in is a Foed dealer as no one else wants them. Do some checking around and you will see.

B

BouseBill

Mileage could be better, the 08 Ford has the regin where th.
e computer dumps extra diesel into #7 and 8 cyl. To burn off the dpf.
That is what kills the 6.4 after the mileage gets higher.
Search you tube for the 6.4 regin fix��

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Maybe I've been lucky but I owned a '03 6.0 and my '08 6.4 and have not had a problem with either truck. My 6.4 had to have the low pressure fuel pump replaced at 101k and I had the radiator recall done early on. While I'd like great mileage, that is not why I bought this truck. A 1 ton, long bed, 4 door, 4x4 is not going to get great mileage. I added the Banks 6 gun tuner so that I could have a engine brake for towing. I love my 6.4

justafordguy

Both the 6.0 and the 6.4 have a few issues from the factory but are easily modified to make them reliable engines. Just be sure to have an expert check it out closely and make the necessary mods and it will be a great truck.

GOTTOYS

Both the 6.0 and the 6.4 have a few issues from the factory but are easily modified to make them reliable engines. Just be sure to have an expert check it out closely and make the necessary mods and it will be a great truck.
easily ?? Lifting the cab off the chassis to gain access to the engine might be easy in the right shop but not something the average mechanic can do "easily". Replacing head gaskets and studs on a 6.0 isn't easy either...I would look elsewhere..Don

avvidclif

easily ?? Lifting the cab off the chassis to gain access to the engine might be easy in the right shop but not something the average mechanic can do "easily". Replacing head gaskets and studs on a 6.0 isn't easy either...I would look elsewhere..Don

?
Easy depends on your level of experience. Are you speaking from first hand experience or just quoting what you have been told

stesmi52

Had an 08 6.4 that I dumped at 85k miles. After replacing the egr valve and housing, then both egr coolers, I started losing coolant again. Best the dealer could tell me was head gasket or cracked block. Start at $12k due to cab needing to be removed. Bottom line, have the system pressure checked and have it done under load!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

justafordguy

Yes it's easy and removing the cab isn't required. I did gaskets and studs along with some other mods and it only took about 8 hours. Easy weekend project and costs under $1000. Well worth the time and money for a reliable paid for truck. ;)

jassson007

Yes it's easy and removing the cab isn't required. I did gaskets and studs along with some other mods and it only took about 8 hours. Easy weekend project and costs under $1000. Well worth the time and money for a reliable paid for truck. ;)

Interesting as everything my dealer did they had to remove cab. It was under warranty until 100k miles so I didn't care.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Interesting as everything my dealer did they had to remove cab. It was under warranty until 100k miles so I didn't care.

You mean, like this.
2hpi1ro.jpg

jassson007

Exactly. Can't get to much without doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crumgater

We had heard to stay away from the '03-07 6.0 engines. So when we went looking in 2010, we picked up a used '08 F350 diesel. It had 47k miles on it then... we had a few "water in fuel" issues the first year, but finally got the dealer to replace the fuel filter and some other fuel line parts which they said were pretty well gummed up (we think it was used as a farm truck before we got it... it has a definite "working-man" aroma to it at times). Since then, it's been great (knock on wood). I take it out at least once a week for a 30mi highway trip (15 miles one way, with a 2 hour band rehearsal in the middle) to keep it lubricated. Including those miles, it gets about 5k miles on it per year.

It gets better mileage than our '95 gasser F250 did... that one drank at a rate of 9.5-10.5 mpg no matter how we loaded it (truck slide-in camper included). When towing the 10k Elkridge, that dropped to under 7mpg. The F350 runs closer to 10mpg towing and 14mpg average. I have taken it on some all-freeway trips (not towing, lightly loaded), and got up to 18mpg, which was nice. Not much under my daily driver Subaru (2000 Outback, 23mpg average).

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Maybe I've been lucky but I owned a '03 6.0 and my '08 6.4 and have not had a problem with either truck. My 6.4 had to have the low pressure fuel pump replaced at 101k and I had the radiator recall done early on. While I'd like great mileage, that is not why I bought this truck. A 1 ton, long bed, 4 door, 4x4 is not going to get great mileage. I added the Banks 6 gun tuner so that I could have a engine brake for towing. I love my 6.4

Did you have to delete the emissions to run that tuner?