China Bombs got us today

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Here we are, fat, dumb and happy,(well me anyway, for the fat and dumb part) traveling west on Highway 84, towards Waco, TX, when all of a sudden the ODS rear tire explodes on us. After the brush with the fence at the RV park in Kemah, I am getting pretty good at assessing damage, so it looks to be about $1000.00 worth of damage to the rig. Elizabeth travels with her laptop on her lap, go figure, so she immediately starts looking for a tire store in Waco, while I make like the Dad in "The Christmas Story" and start changing the tire. It is just plumb amazing how much sweat a fat old Jarhead can produce, on the side of the road, in 90 deg changing a tire. I must have soaked 2 towels through. Well she found a place in Waco that sells Goodyear G614s and he and I tried to strike a deal. No luck, best he could do was $299 a tire plus, yes I said plus mounting, balancing, and tax. Well that takes me up to close to $1500 :eek:. Way too much money for this Jarhead to part with. We left Kemah, TX this morning about 9:30 and are heading to Pueblo, Co to visit my sister, before heading to Branson. As it happens, my Goldways took a dump on me on the way to Kemah from Pueblo last November. We were just west of Dodge City and bought the present tires at a tire shop there. We are planning on going back through Dodge City on our way back to Pueblo, so will stop by and pay that shop a visit, with the tire he sold me that blew. When I bought them I told him I was a bit skeptical about replacing one set of Chinese tires with another. He told me that he had sold thousands of these to the ranchers, in the area, for stock trailers, etc. and had never had a problem. Hopefully he will make things right, we will see. Will update after I get there and see how things go.
Later y'all
Fred

L'l John

Well she found a place in Waco that sells Goodyear G614s and he and I tried to strike a deal. No luck, best he could do was $299 a tire plus, yes I said plus mounting, balancing, and tax. Well that takes me up to close to $1500 :eek:. Way too much money for this Jarhead to part with.
Fred

It sounds like that dealer is looking for early retirement!
I just replaced my 2 year old tires with about 7000 miles on them (Karrier Loadstar). This after a large knot showed up on the sidewall of one of them.
Got the G614 Goodyear from my local Farmers Co-op for $200 each mounted and balanced. Three of those tires were manufactured in Dec. '07, the other in April '08.
If you have time, shop around.

Forrest Fetherolf

One Jarhead to another Jarhead................

Does your ouch look as nasty as my ouch? Gotta love those China Bombs.

Forrest

Attachments

• TRAIL_AMERICATIRE_FAILURE00.JPG
    TRAIL_AMERICATIRE_FAILURE00.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 168

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
You win the Kewpie Doll, Forrest. My ouch doesn't look as bad as yours. Just pains your heart to see any amount of damage.
Fred

jimtoo

Sorry to hear about your tire problems. Just wish you guys were still down here in South Central Texas, as there is a small tire dealer near me that is really good and has really great prices on Goodyear and Michelin.

JimM

jimtoo

It is Moore's Tire Center in Three Rivers, TX. 361-786-9976 He is retired Navy Chief and he calls it like it is. But he knows what he is doing and does all the work himself.

He is a true American and a true Navy Chief.

Jim M

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Thanks Jim for the info. I am not sure whether I want to limp along on more bombs till I get back down in that area. We are heading to Nebraska, after we leave Branson. Have a job there that is supposed to last until the end of August or maybe even as late as mid September. I'll have to think about that.
Fred

StevieWonder

My problem is that I have the 15" wheels on my Sundance. I'm going to have to replace the wheels and the tires to be able to get the better quality tires. I'm running Goodyear Marathons, but it's my understanding they are also manufactured in China.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If anyone is close to Lufkin, Texas try Dupree Tire. They sold me my 614's for 229 each mounted and balanced. I don't know if they are still the same but this place knows what they are doing when it comes to tires. I would highly recommend them.

StevieWonder

FWIW, if you Google "Goodyear 614" tires, you'll find some similar horror stories about catastrophic tire failure with these tires, many times inflicting substantial damage to the trailer.

I'm leaning to DOT truck tires ... load range E. Anybody done this ???

jimtoo

This is the Chief's latest sign at his business.
Chiefsign.jpg

quandee

Yesterday i replaced my ChinaBombs with Goodyear G614. Cost was $220.00 a tire balanced and installed. Got $25.00 a tire for four Bombs. This was at Carter Tire, Elkhart, Indiana.

ChopperBill

Sorry about your tire problems but those Chinese tires are like death and taxes. Sooner or later they are going to get you.

Princess Kathleen

To stop the sweat when changing a tire, call The Good Sam's Emergency road crew.....I am too old, fat, and a princess to be changing tires,,,,than also is what the DH thinks also, but he is a prince...

PK

StevieWonder

I guess I don't get it.

There are many posts on other non-branded RV websites about the EXACT SAME CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for the Goodyear 614 tires as those well-documented failures for the cheapo China Bombs (including the Goodyear Marathon)

What's the benefit other than more money spent to still get a dinged trailer ???

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
This is our second set of chinese tires on our 2008 rig. We got a second set a few months ago after the first set all developed bubbles after 800 miles of travel. I dont know what the right anwer is but it sure would be nice to feel comfortable with our tires travelling down the road,,, Lizzy

Forrest Fetherolf

I got it real quick.............when the Trail America "G" exploded and wiped out the side of my 3600RL, I immediately switched to G614 and much to my surprise when I weighed both tires.............the G614 weighed in 22lbs heavier.............that is a lot of extra "meat" to hold things together............I'll bet on the G614 for survival rate and peace of mind.

Forrest