PDA

View Full Version : China Bombs got us today

Oldlthrneck
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Here we are, fat, dumb and happy,(well me anyway, for the fat and dumb part) traveling west on Highway 84, towards Waco, TX, when all of a sudden the ODS rear tire explodes on us. After the brush with the fence at the RV park in Kemah, I am getting pretty good at assessing damage, so it looks to be about $1000.00 worth of damage to the rig. Elizabeth travels with her laptop on her lap, go figure, so she immediately starts looking for a tire store in Waco, while I make like the Dad in "The Christmas Story" and start changing the tire. It is just plumb amazing how much sweat a fat old Jarhead can produce, on the side of the road, in 90 deg changing a tire. I must have soaked 2 towels through. Well she found a place in Waco that sells Goodyear G614s and he and I tried to strike a deal. No luck, best he could do was $299 a tire plus, yes I said plus mounting, balancing, and tax. Well that takes me up to close to $1500 :eek:. Way too much money for this Jarhead to part with. We left Kemah, TX this morning about 9:30 and are heading to Pueblo, Co to visit my sister, before heading to Branson. As it happens, my Goldways took a dump on me on the way to Kemah from Pueblo last November. We were just west of Dodge City and bought the present tires at a tire shop there. We are planning on going back through Dodge City on our way back to Pueblo, so will stop by and pay that shop a visit, with the tire he sold me that blew. When I bought them I told him I was a bit skeptical about replacing one set of Chinese tires with another. He told me that he had sold thousands of these to the ranchers, in the area, for stock trailers, etc. and had never had a problem. Hopefully he will make things right, we will see. Will update after I get there and see how things go.
Later y'all
Fred

L'l John
05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Well she found a place in Waco that sells Goodyear G614s and he and I tried to strike a deal. No luck, best he could do was $299 a tire plus, yes I said plus mounting, balancing, and tax. Well that takes me up to close to $1500 :eek:. Way too much money for this Jarhead to part with.
Fred

It sounds like that dealer is looking for early retirement!
I just replaced my 2 year old tires with about 7000 miles on them (Karrier Loadstar). This after a large knot showed up on the sidewall of one of them.
Got the G614 Goodyear from my local Farmers Co-op for $200 each mounted and balanced. Three of those tires were manufactured in Dec. '07, the other in April '08.
If you have time, shop around.

Forrest Fetherolf
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
One Jarhead to another Jarhead................

Does your ouch look as nasty as my ouch? Gotta love those China Bombs.

Forrest

Oldlthrneck
05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
You win the Kewpie Doll, Forrest. My ouch doesn't look as bad as yours. Just pains your heart to see any amount of damage.
Fred

jimtoo
05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your tire problems. Just wish you guys were still down here in South Central Texas, as there is a small tire dealer near me that is really good and has really great prices on Goodyear and Michelin.

JimM

StevieWonder
05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Where is that town?

jimtoo
05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
It is Moore's Tire Center in Three Rivers, TX. 361-786-9976 He is retired Navy Chief and he calls it like it is. But he knows what he is doing and does all the work himself.

He is a true American and a true Navy Chief.

Jim M

Oldlthrneck
05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks Jim for the info. I am not sure whether I want to limp along on more bombs till I get back down in that area. We are heading to Nebraska, after we leave Branson. Have a job there that is supposed to last until the end of August or maybe even as late as mid September. I'll have to think about that.
Fred

StevieWonder
05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
My problem is that I have the 15" wheels on my Sundance. I'm going to have to replace the wheels and the tires to be able to get the better quality tires. I'm running Goodyear Marathons, but it's my understanding they are also manufactured in China.

jmgratz
05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
If anyone is close to Lufkin, Texas try Dupree Tire. They sold me my 614's for 229 each mounted and balanced. I don't know if they are still the same but this place knows what they are doing when it comes to tires. I would highly recommend them.

StevieWonder
05-29-2008, 10:11 PM
FWIW, if you Google "Goodyear 614" tires, you'll find some similar horror stories about catastrophic tire failure with these tires, many times inflicting substantial damage to the trailer.

I'm leaning to DOT truck tires ... load range E. Anybody done this ???

jimtoo
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
This is the Chief's latest sign at his business.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/jimtoo/Chiefsign.jpg

StevieWonder
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Gotta love it ...

quandee
05-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Yesterday i replaced my ChinaBombs with Goodyear G614. Cost was $220.00 a tire balanced and installed. Got $25.00 a tire for four Bombs. This was at Carter Tire, Elkhart, Indiana.

jbeletti
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
$195 net with trade - nice Paul.

Jim

ChopperBill
05-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry about your tire problems but those Chinese tires are like death and taxes. Sooner or later they are going to get you.

Princess Kathleen
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
To stop the sweat when changing a tire, call The Good Sam's Emergency road crew.....I am too old, fat, and a princess to be changing tires,,,,than also is what the DH thinks also, but he is a prince...

PK

StevieWonder
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I guess I don't get it.

There are many posts on other non-branded RV websites about the EXACT SAME CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for the Goodyear 614 tires as those well-documented failures for the cheapo China Bombs (including the Goodyear Marathon)

What's the benefit other than more money spent to still get a dinged trailer ???

Oldlthrnecksgirl
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
This is our second set of chinese tires on our 2008 rig. We got a second set a few months ago after the first set all developed bubbles after 800 miles of travel. I dont know what the right anwer is but it sure would be nice to feel comfortable with our tires travelling down the road,,, Lizzy

Forrest Fetherolf
05-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I got it real quick.............when the Trail America "G" exploded and wiped out the side of my 3600RL, I immediately switched to G614 and much to my surprise when I weighed both tires.............the G614 weighed in 22lbs heavier.............that is a lot of extra "meat" to hold things together............I'll bet on the G614 for survival rate and peace of mind.

Forrest

ChopperBill
05-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I guess I don't get it.

There are many posts on other non-branded RV websites about the EXACT SAME CATASTROPHIC FAILURES for the Goodyear 614 tires as those well-documented failures for the cheapo China Bombs (including the Goodyear Marathon)

What's the benefit other than more money spent to still get a dinged trailer ???
Spent my money on Michelin's on the TV and the fiver. See many posts of failures on these? (He asks while knocking on wood!)

TXBobcat
05-30-2008, 07:39 PM
The day I picked up my Bighorn 3400RE in Seguin, TX I went to the nearest Discount Tire store and replaced all 5 tires with Michelin XP Ribs & steel valve stems. Now I also have pressure pro to keep a good eye on my tire pressure. I know, any tire can blow out and Pressure Pro will only tell you that is it gone. However it will tell me if I have a low tire so I can be aware of a problem. Pressure Pro has already warned me of a tire problem on my old 5er. I also wanted to get rid of the ST tires that have a 65mph speed limit.

The Michelin's cost $215 per tire before balance, mounting and road hazard. I figure that is a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire and repair my Bighorn.

So far I have not had any tire problems. Now that can change, but so far I am doing real good. Knock on wood.

BC

Oldlthrneck
05-30-2008, 09:12 PM
The day I picked up my Bighorn 3400RE in Seguin, TX I went to the nearest Discount Tire store and replaced all 5 tires with Michelin XP Ribs & steel valve stems. Now I also have pressure pro to keep a good eye on my tire pressure. I know, any tire can blow out and Pressure Pro will only tell you that is it gone. However it will tell me if I have a low tire so I can be aware of a problem. Pressure Pro has already warned me of a tire problem on my old 5er. I also wanted to get rid of the ST tires that have a 65mph speed limit.

The Michelin's cost $215 per tire before balance, mounting and road hazard. I figure that is a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire and repair my Bighorn.

So far I have not had any tire problems. Now that can change, but so far I am doing real good. Knock on wood.

BC

Are those Michelins a "G" or "E" rated tire?
Fred

Forrest Fetherolf
05-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Don't think Michelins have a "G" rated tire.............hopefully someday.

Forrest

Oldlthrneck
05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Forrest:
I didn't think so, but was hoping.
Fred

"Just so everyone is clear on this. The tire that blew up on us was not one of the tires that came with the trailer. We developed bubbles on the sidewalls of the Goldways that came with our Bighorn. We purchased new tires from a tire shop in Dodge City, KS. , in November of 2007. Unless you purchase Goodyear or Michelin tires, you will have a hard time finding tires that are not made in China. These tires are the ones that failed on us."

cdbMidland
05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
After I had a Trail America blow out last August, I replaced all five with Goodyear G614s. Had one of those blow out in GA on the way home in April. Entire tread came off. So, now I fear the Goodyears will blow as well.

I don't drive over 60 and check air pressure each day of travel - keep at 110 psi.

The G614s were made in the USA - maybe I should call these "American bombs"?

caddojay
05-31-2008, 01:00 AM
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! How many times do people have to have these things explode on them and cause lots of damage to their unit, as well as the people following. We've experienced 3-G614's blow in one tripon a previous unit at $275.00 each. Even thought Goodyear stepped up and paid for the damage and 2 new tires at the tune of $3900.00(I didn't keep the 3rd tire). Dealing with the manufacturer's rep was absolute agony. Somehow, someway, when a buyer spends this kind of money, there should be at least an option to upgrade the tires to a better grade. We took the Mission tires off 2 weeks after we got this unit home and put Michellin XPS tires on the ground. Yeah, it was costly, but less than 4 months of aggravation getting the unit fixed and dealing with the factory rep. who belittled me and questioned my account of what happened when the tires blew. Not to mention the anxiety when they blow in traffic. There has to be a better way...

jbeletti
05-31-2008, 08:37 AM
...dealing with the factory rep. who belittled me and questioned my account of what happened when the tires blew.

Jay,

Thank you for sharing your tire experience - as miserable as it was. That's a bummer to hear about defective Goodyears when in the load range G arena, it seems to be the best choice. I do understand that there was a run of poor G614s. I think that was a year or two ago.

With regard to the quote above, are you talking about a Heartland Customer Service rep, a rep from your SOB unit or the rep from Goodyear? I hope it was not a Heartland Rep. If it is, please PM me with names.

Thanks again for sharing.

Jim

kakampers
05-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Stevewonder...if you look closely at those threads, you will note that almost all of the G614 failures were on tires with DOT dates in 2006 and prior by approximately 1 year. Goodyear addressed this problem with those tires and there have been virtually no failures since. Also, Forrest is correct...check a G614 against pretty much any other tires of it's size and there is no comparison.

In your case, I see you have a Sundance, and probably can use E rated tires. Most of us can't, we need G rated to carry the load of our units. If I could use E...I would have Michelin XPS ribs without question. They even stack up to the larger Goodyears with very thick, heavy sidewall construction...over the years we've found nothing better than Michelins...but they just don't make a G rated tire.

Oldlthrnecksgirl
05-31-2008, 09:13 AM
We are sitting on the side of the road in Kansas with yet another wrecked tire. The tire didn't blow, the tread fell off so Luckily this one didn't do any damage to our rig, DH is changing it out now. Thank heavens we got a spare in Waco. We are still about 200 miles from the dealership in Dodge City where we bought the replacements. That makes Six tires since the end of Sept 2007 and we were sitting in Colorado for a while and Kemah for 6 months of that time. This is just flat out bullcrap. I am so cross I could spit spiders!! Lizzy

kakampers
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Lizzy and Fred...I'm so sorry you're having such a horrible time. Hope you guys can get to the dealer without any further issues. Are you replacing them with Goodyears?

We'll have a couple of cold ones for you when you get to Branson...then you can chill and relax a little bit...sounds like you really need it!

Kathy and Ken

kakampers
05-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Retired4fun and Txbobcat...Michelin XPS ribs are probably THE best E load tire on the market anywhere. Used them for a long time on our TT without any problems...and have never really seen anyone complain of problems with them. I realize NO tire is perfect...however, these Michelin XPS ribs come as close as you can come.

The only problem is they do not make them in a G load...if they did, I'd have the Goodyears off here quicker than you can blink! Till then, the G614's are the most reliable G load tire out there for trailering. IMHO

jmgratz
05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey,
I got an idea....
Heartland, start putting on three axles on these heavy trailers so we can use E rated tires. Then we would have more tire options....

Oldlthrnecksgirl
05-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Ken and Kathy, thanks! We are in the middle of Nowhere, Ok and I found a place we only had to detour an hour to get to that had Two of the goodyear 614's. Just paid $600 for them. There will be two more ready for us in Dodge City on Monday so we will just travel to there and hang out an extra day and a half. That also happens to be where we bought the other set last November (diff tire, diff dealer) so hoping to get some money back on them. Two failed tires since November? hope they are reasonable about it. The next two will cost a bit more because they had to special order them believe it or not, jeesh, lol.

I haven't been drinking because of my diet but I tell you, after this trip, I will be glad for a couple of cold wobbly pops,,, Lizzy

Uncle Rog
05-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Howdy, after two blowouts and one wheel torn up, not to mention the negligible body damage, we bought a full set of GY's. I have posted this before but the tread pattern on the GY's is a true trailer style, grooves in the center with smooth outsides just like the trailer tires on the Peterbuilts. We filed a claim with ALL the tire people and Tredit actually made good on the deal. If your failures were in the first 12 months and you have pictures, go for it. I do not have the contact info in front of me but I know that HL Customer Service does.................

Oldlthrneck
05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Forrest:
I didn't think so, but was hoping.
Fred

"Just so everyone is clear on this. The tire that blew up on us was not one of the tires that came with the trailer. We developed bubbles on the sidewalls of the Goldways that came with our Bighorn. We purchased new tires from a tire shop in Dodge City, KS. , in November of 2007. Unless you purchase Goodyear or Michelin tires, you will have a hard time finding tires that are not made in China. These tires are the ones that failed on us."

Hey Rog:
This is from a previous post on this thread. Dealing with Heartland and the Treadit is not an option. I didn't buy these tires from them, nor did they come on my vehicle.

TXBobcat
05-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Are those Michelins a "G" or "E" rated tire?
Fred
Fred. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. But as inidcated earlier Michelin only go up to load range E. I wish they would go up to G.

I am so sorry to hear that all of you are having tire problems. I wish there was something we could do to get the Mfgrs to quit making tires in China. It really ticks me off that we are endangered and our RV's are endangered by Mfgrs allowing tires to be made such as those coming out of China.

This is not only a problem for us as RVers. The regualr passenger tires are also becoming a hazard.

jmgratz
05-31-2008, 10:14 PM
I understand that China is a Communist Country. Isn't the United States a democracy? I was raised that Communisim is bad and democracy is good. Feedom is good. Why do we promote a Communist Country by buying their products? Do you think there might be a hidden adgenda to secretly and slowly do away with Americans and wreck their economy and thereby Communisim will win? Just a thought. God Bless America!

ptillett
06-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Spent my money on Michelin's on the TV and the fiver. See many posts of failures on these? (He asks while knocking on wood!)

Both of my brothers work for a company (logging) where they haul very heavy equipment. My brother told me he blew out many tires, all good, name brand tires (goodyear, bf goodrich). He said the bad part was, when it blew, you just didn't loose the tire, it tore things up. He finally put his foot down and told the big boss to bring him four michelins. He hasn't had any trouble since. That was enough sale for me. If I am hauling anything, I will put michelins on my vehicles and trailer.

I am sure they can fail too, if you don't take care of things (tire pressure). But, maybe we have a better chance. :)

I just bought a sundance this year. Due to the expense of the purchase and outfitting it and our tow vehicle needed four new tires, I might just keep a hard eye on my china bombs and try and limp through till next season. Knock on wood and keep my fingers crossed! LOL

Thanks for all the advice out there. Good advice, too.

caddojay
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Jim, the rep that Goodyear assigned to our tire failure was the person that I was referring to. These failures were on our Doubletree in 2005. The tires were dated for production in 2003. I didn't get much assistance from Doubletree. After much discussion and letter writing, they (Doubletree)replaced defective steel wheels. Goodyear tried to lay blame on us, then the wheels, then roads, then the heat of the roads, etc. The most contentious part of the claim was when the rep wanted me to drive to Akron so they could analyze the tires. Even the suggestion of my inability to read a tire guage was tried. I won't try them, again.

cdbMidland
06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Stevewonder...if you look closely at those threads, you will note that almost all of the G614 failures were on tires with DOT dates in 2006 and prior by approximately 1 year.

FWIW - the G614 that blew out on me had a DOT of 2707.

StevieWonder
06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
FWIW - the G614 that blew out on me had a DOT of 2707.

Rutrow ... :eek:

I'm planning on light truck, E rated tires. They cost about the same as the Goodyear occasional-bomb 614's and can be found in any decent sized tire store anywhere in country. Leaning towards Michelin's, Continental's or BFGoodrich's. Will consider Yokohamas and Bridgestones. But I have to upgrade to 16" rims that will fit my hub/lugnut arrangement.

The big trailer you see in my signature used Continental H-rated tires and I pulled that rig all across the US and Canada with two racecars, a golf cart, a Kawasaki Mule, mountains of tools, tires and equipment at 75mph without even a hiccup.

fyermn
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I have a 2007 Bighorn 2925RK, and it has Karrier tires 235/85R/16. Maximun load is 3500lbs. at 90psi., load range "E". After all the reading I have done on this and other sites, I now feel that I should replace the 4 tires on the road, along with the spare. I look at the Michelin 235/85R/16, and the maximun load is 3042lbs. at 80psi. The gvw of my 5th wheel is 14,000lbs. My question is that the Karrier tires carrier a heavier load at a greater psi that the Michelin tires, and if I were to replace the Karriers with the michelin tires, would that cause any problems?

kakampers
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Fyermn...No, this will cause you no problem. You two axles' total rating is 12,000lbs. The Michelins will easily carry that load maxed...which you obviously shouldn't do. The balance of that 14,000lbs is NOT on the tires/axles, it is on the pinbox and in the back of your truck.

If it were me, I'd go with the Michelins...if they made a G load for my heavier trailer, they'd be on here in the blink of an eye!!

iefpro01
06-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Guys find the best deal you can online then just go to any national tire store like Discount tire and they will match - if not beat the price. Sears will do it as well....

Oldlthrnecksgirl
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I hate tires except for the fact we have to have them and that is all I have to say,,, Lizzy

The RV-Ramblers
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I have 4 Michelin® XPS RIB LT245/75R16 tires with less than 1,000 miles on them for sale in the 'For Sale' listings.