Jim's Rally Scrambled Eggs

jbeletti

Often times at rallies, I will make scrambled eggs for a group. This version seems to go over well. See the recipe below, also attached as a PDF and also attached as an Excel workbook to be used as an ingredients calculator when needing to resize for a specific group.

Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients
  • 12 Large Whole Eggs or Equivalent amount of Liquid Whole Eggs
  • 1 Cup Heavy Cream (liquid whipping cream)
  • 6 Ounces Cubed Velveeta Cheese (loaf – not slices) – Original flavor
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
Steps
  1. Cut cheese into 1" cubes
  2. Crack eggs into large bowl and beat/mix (wire whip / hand/stand mixer / immersion blender)
  3. Add Heavy Cream to bowl of beaten eggs and beat/mix until incorporated
  4. Add butter to non-stick electric skillet or non-stick frying pan, melt butter at medium heat (~250F)
  5. When butter is melted, spread it around pan and add egg mixture and cheese
  6. Using a high-temperature rubber spatula, drag across bottom of pan through egg mixture to scrape any cooked egg film that has formed. Repeat periodically, lifting and folding cooked eggs. Remove from heat when eggs are cooked, yet still wet looking
  7. Turn eggs out into warming vessel until serving time
Notes
  • There are many ways to make scrambled eggs. The ingredients and method above is just one.
Variations
  • No Cream - Sour Cream - Crème fraîche - Water
  • No Cheese - Other Cheeses
  • No Butter - Olive Oil - Other Fats
  • No Vegetables - Spinach - Onions - Garlic - Tomato - Other Vegetables
  • No Meat - Ham - Bacon - Sausage - Other Meats

Enjoy!

Recipe by Jim Beletti - March 2016

Attachments

• Scrambled Eggs Ingredients Calculator Scrambled Eggs.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Scrambled Eggs Ingredients Calculator.xlsx
    27 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

HornedToad

I tried this recipe cooking for 100+, but the electric skillets couldn't keep up with the serving line so we wound up cooking the egg and heavy cream mixture on the griddle. I cracked a case of eggs and added four quarts of cream to make a four gallon mix. The cream made these the best scramble eggs I've ever served, very light and fluffy. Next time I'm going to grate the Velveeta into the egg mixture so I can cook large batches on the griddle.

Thanks for the recipe Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yum . . .

Jim . . . when are you coming to a Colorado Rally?????

jbeletti

I tried this recipe cooking for 100+, but the electric skillets couldn't keep up with the serving line so we wound up cooking the egg and heavy cream mixture on the griddle. I cracked a case of eggs and added four quarts of cream to make a four gallon mix. The cream made these the best scramble eggs I've ever served, very light and fluffy. Next time I'm going to grate the Velveeta into the egg mixture so I can cook large batches on the griddle.

For 100 people, that's about 17 dozen eggs. I'd probably split that out over 5 electric skillets - all cooking at once. I've found that cooking large batches of scrambled eggs can take 30 minutes per batch - so they really need to be cooked all at the same time unless you can hold early batches warm without cooking them too much more.

I have never cooked 17 dozen for breakfast but I will get the chance this summer at the North Central Region Rally in Chatham, IL. I will likely use 5 skillets with 3 people. Two people can handle 2 skillets at once and the 3rd person will handle one skillet and other duties :)

pegmikef

All I know is that every time I have had them, they are really good and I have been lucky enough to have had them several times. Thanks Jim.

jbeletti

That's what I get for skimming. :rolleyes:

You had me rechecking the recipe. I find post-55, I forget a lot of things and make a lot of typing errors. Oh well - such is life. Hope you and Val are well. Not sure what rally we'll see each other at next.

jbeletti

All I know is that every time I have had them, they are really good and I have been lucky enough to have had them several times. Thanks Jim.

Mike and Peg - it pleases me that you enjoyed them. I LOVE cooking. I'm not a chef but I am passionate about cooking when I get the chance. Sadly - I don't have as much time to cook as I'd like. On an even more positive note, since we've being doing THM-style eating (thanks Ann Mayer!), Nancy does a lot of meal preparation. This give me more time to work, drive etc.

See you guys at the next one!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jim's eggs are very good all right, but if you're standing around in the rally hall, you'll find yourself wearing a pair of gloves, stirring the egg mixture. Ask me how I know... It was fun though.

jbeletti

Jim's eggs are very good all right, but if you're standing around in the rally hall, you'll find yourself wearing a pair of gloves, stirring the egg mixture. Ask me how I know... It was fun though.

You're the best Jay! See you in Branson.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Have you ever tried to smoke your own bacon? Hey......there's a thought for Sevierville

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You need to get some pork belly, brine it with pink brine salt, then smoke it.

Peace
Dave

HornedToad

3fd87f8fb8b88003b265dabdb95e20f0.jpg
a0bc0100f8c78683a5792b9e93bf7bfd.jpg
15654902ee722c2640a0034c5dc0ee05.jpg
32ac6f725d5a9e07d618b24f805e39de.jpg

jbeletti

Thanks for the pics Mike and great to hear from you again. Cool that you are still putting on large feeds. Thank you again for doing a HUGE amount of BBQ for the TX rally. That was very generous of you!

wdk450

Jim:
I don't know how egg prices are where you are, but right now egg prices in southern California are DIRT CHEAP! I bought JUMBOs for 90 cents a dozen at Walmart. Being my thrifty dad's son, I HAD to buy 2 dozen and freeze 1 dozen!! Like prices for other sizes of eggs, too.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Jim, I was in Gordon's the other day and checked the bagged/boxed eggs we used in Chatham and found they contained milk. Probably why they were a little watery