Don't need no stinkin' 4WD dually!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Or so some say. Today I got a call from the storage yard that the large, old cabin cruiser that's parked up on stacked cinder blocks was leaning towards my rig and I should get there and move. So I hustle out there and see the thing is leaning to starboard and looking like it might mate with my rig. It's been pretty wet and the ground is saturated, to the point even my tires on the ODS are sunk in a little. So much so that I had to use the Ground Control jacks on that side to lift it enough to get the tire covers off. Then I hook it up and tell the wife to pull forward a bit. She can barely budge it (in D, not manual), and the trailer tires are digging into mud. So I get in, put it in 4Wd and second gear and had to muscle it free of the mud and onto the harder surface.

With limited space available, I ended up parking lengthwise on an angle between two old vehicles that weren't going anywhere and let the office know I had taken two spots. Couldn't park it straight since there's not enough room between the road and the fence. They're going to try to relocate the small vehicles that insist on parking in the pull through spots to along the fence line, or be towed if they haven't been moved since the last Ice Age. That boat's been there for several years and is not looking very good.

Those of you that can park your rigs at your homes...feel very lucky.

justafordguy

Hey John, I'm glad you got it out of there without damage.

I don't know how anyone can live without a 4x4. I really do feel bad for those who can't park there rigs at home, it makes everything so much easier and safer.

Bones

I don't know how anyone can live without a 4x4. I really do feel bad for those who can't park there rigs at home, it makes everything so much easier and safer.
I had my rig at the house for a few days doing a little extra work and the neighbors complained. And let me tell you that the whole trailer and truck fit completely on my driveway not blocking a thing too. One neighbor even yelled at me about my trailer that the county lets you do anything. He is not a trailer person. Oh well. he can stay at home and play with his grass and I'll go camping all over the country.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I'd definitely have reservations about owning an expensive recreational vehicle if I couldn't park it at home regardless how secure a storage lot might be. Guess that's the country boy in me that's always lived in a rural setting after leaving the farm.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had my rig at the house for a few days doing a little extra work and the neighbors complained. And let me tell you that the whole trailer and truck fit completely on my driveway not blocking a thing too. One neighbor even yelled at me about my trailer that the county lets you do anything. He is not a trailer person. Oh well. he can stay at home and play with his grass and I'll go camping all over the country.

We have time limits for RV's on driveways if they are in front of the plane of the home's front wall. When we had the 27ft. TT, it was close getting it on the drive to do work on it (stored it at a yard). Unfortunately, the BH with the truck in front would be sticking off the driveway. And the angle of the drive would also be a bit of a problem to set it level. With the TT, I had to retract the front jack while on the truck hitch, stack cribbing under it, and then lift it off the truck for it to be level. The rear skids were very close to the pavement. We didn't get into campers until after we bought this place :(

MCTalley

What's funny is that we full-timed with two different 4x2 duallies over the course of 3 years and never got stuck. When we had to buy a new truck last fall we ended up with our current 4x4. We've had to use the 4x4 twice already.

avvidclif

Go rent a stinky half full trash truck and put it in the drive, tell him that's your new hobby since he didn't like the trailer.

Aandaar

Go rent a stinky half full trash truck and put it in the drive, tell him that's your new hobby since he didn't like the trailer.

Like your thinking. I have store mine off site, at least it is on Camp Pendelton Marine Base. So I feel it is pretty safe. When we have it out to travel or work on it sits across the entire front of the house. Luckily the only person to complain is the mailman because he has to haul his $%% out of his little jeep to put mail in our box.

Bones

Funny but I would be afraid it would set of an already unbalanced individual.

Capt7383

I parked my 35 ft fiver in my driveway all winter in violation of a township ordinance. But much like open burning its only enforced if someone complains. I like me neighbors

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk