Garmin RV 760LMT discontinued

Bones

I decided to check Garmin's website today and noticed that the 760LMT for RV's is listed as a previous model. I wonder if they are going to stop making the larger model and only keep the smaller model.

olcoon

I wouldn't be surprised. I bought the 760 last month, and debated buying the other one, but opted to go ahead & get the 760 because of the bigger screen. I think that the other one has more options/features on it.

danemayer

If you dig into the Garmin website, you'll find they're still selling the RV760LMT, although they refer to it as a prior model. You can also buy it elsewhere online.

Garmin for some years offered both a 5" screen and a 7". So it's possible they've decided that offering just a 6" screen would satisfy most people and simplify their business. But considering the complexity of the Garmin product lines, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also, smart phones are competing with the smaller screen GPS devices while iPads/tablets running GPS apps are coming at them from the larger screen end of the market.

Moving the smaller model to 6" combats smart phones. And an 8" screen size would combat the iPad/tablet apps. So I'm expecting to see an 8" model shortly.

We'll probably know more in another month or two.

Bones

If you dig into the Garmin website, you'll find they're still selling the RV760LMT, although they refer to it as a prior model. You can also buy it elsewhere online.

Garmin for some years offered both a 5" screen and a 7". So it's possible they've decided that offering just a 6" screen would satisfy most people and simplify their business. But considering the complexity of the Garmin product lines, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also, smart phones are competing with the smaller screen GPS devices while iPads/tablets running GPS apps are coming at them from the larger screen end of the market.

Moving the smaller model to 6" combats smart phones. And an 8" screen size would combat the iPad/tablet apps. So I'm expecting to see an 8" model shortly.

We'll probably know more in another month or two.
I sent them an email asking about it. I'll wait to see what happens

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
This discussion reminded me I needed to update my 760 LMT so I did!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennyha

I just bought a new 760LMT off of Amazon. When I also saw this model listed as a "Previous Model" on the Garmin site, I figured its days are numbered.

Mullins

I am thinking about buying an RV GPS. I have a built-in GPS I'm my truck and for those of you that have the same, is there really that much more to the RV GPS than what my truck offers to spend the extra dough. I am thinking of the Garmin 760LMT.. I can get it new off of Amazon for $308.

danemayer

I am thinking about buying an RV GPS. I have a built-in GPS I'm my truck and for those of you that have the same, is there really that much more to the RV GPS than what my truck offers to spend the extra dough. I am thinking of the Garmin 760LMT.. I can get it new off of Amazon for $308.

First of all, there's the map data. The LMT models include free map updates every quarter. Your truck GPS can be updated, maybe annually, by purchasing new maps. Check the price - you may be shocked.

Second, the RV760 has a huge POI database of campgrounds and truck stops. Good luck with your truck GPS POIs.

Third, the RV760 routes you around low clearance obstacles based on the profile you create. Not on your truck GPS. Yes, there are alternative ways to manage low clearance situations, but none as easy.

Fourth, the Up Ahead function shows you Fuel and Restaurants at upcoming exits on the interstate highways. Find a diesel station and press the button to add it to your route.

Fifth, you can mount it on your dash so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map.

Sixth, you get lane guidance on upcoming exits on your route so you have time to get in the correct lane.

Features go on and on.

Mullins

Thanks for the info.. You'd make a **** of a sales person.. :cool: You got me sold on it..
First of all, there's the map data. The LMT models include free map updates every quarter. Your truck GPS can be updated, maybe annually, by purchasing new maps. Check the price - you may be shocked.

Second, the RV760 has a huge POI database of campgrounds and truck stops. Good luck with your truck GPS POIs.

Third, the RV760 routes you around low clearance obstacles based on the profile you create. Not on your truck GPS. Yes, there are alternative ways to manage low clearance situations, but none as easy.

Fourth, the Up Ahead function shows you Fuel and Restaurants at upcoming exits on the interstate highways. Find a diesel station and press the button to add it to your route.

Fifth, you can mount it on your dash so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map.

Sixth, you get lane guidance on upcoming exits on your route so you have time to get in the correct lane.

Features go on and on.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Also check out the Rand McNally GPS units.

All of the stuff that Dan mentioned and more!

Plus, free lifetime map updates!

I've had one for four years and it is still working like a champ, although I'm thinking of replacing it with a new one with a larger screen (the old eyes ain't what they used to be).

Skywrench

Full Timer
Does anyone know if this unit finds big rig friendly truck stops? It's sometimes hard to find a place to fuel up on the road when not traveling on the interstates.

danemayer

The Up Ahead function displays fuel stops, including the big rig truck stops. You can also load custom POIs including ones like Pilot/Flying J locations and others.

Mine also has a Truck Stop button, but I don't remember if that's on the main screen by default, or if I had to configure it.