Another "kitchen faucet" saga

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Like many others, we've experienced low water pressure, etc., from the one-piece kitchen faucet in our 08' Bighorn. Well yesterday while trying to cook dinner (of course, things always happen at the most inopportune times!!), I turned on the water...it came out for a split-second...and then NOTHING! NADA!! Not on cold, not on hot...NOTHING!

Spent the next two hours taking apart the faucet to try and locate the problem. What a nightmare this faucet is...and we're not novices to home repair...just never saw anything more aggravating to disassemble! To get the bronze cover off the brass housing, you actually have to "snake" the sprayer hose out of the unit first, before the bronze cover will lift off...took us awhile to figure that one out.

The point of this is to save some others alot of time! What we discovered, after all this work, is the problem was not in the brass housing at all. It was in the end of the sprayer hose...had we known that we wouldn't have had to take anything apart. If you follow the hose it goes down under the sink and turns back up toward the faucet and attaches to the bottom of one of connections with a fitting. Just remove the hose from that point...in the end of the hose was a small white "valve"...not sure what it does, just know that it apparently stopped working and stopped all water from entering the faucet. Removed it...faucet now works great...good pressure and all!!!:D Hope this keeps some else from eating a cold dinner...LOL!

kakampers

UPDATE...just figured out what that little white "valve" does. When you use your spray function on your faucet, it normally cuts that function OFF when you turn the water off. Apparently this valve reduced the pressure to allow this to happen.

Now that we've removed the valve the spray function stays ON when we turn the water off...we have to actually use the button on top of the spray head to stop the spray function. Otherwise when you turn the water back on the faucet is still on spray function. This would explain why the pressure in the faucet was affected...guess the thing never worked quite right to begin with! I can live with this....better than no pressure!;)

Forrest Fetherolf

kakampers,

Sounds like the little white valve was a flow restrictor to meet current flow requirerments. Since it was plugged up, it could be that debris is now preventing the sprayer valve from function properly. You might want to remove the spray handle and flush it out, soak it in vinegar and spray in a little silicone or WD40. Make sure to flush out before drinking, WD40 is made from fish oil.

Forrest

kakampers

Don't think there is any debris...faucet has never worked better! Think we'll leave well enough alone...Thanks Forrest!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ken, I understand your dilema with that faucet. I wasn't as lucky, our hose had a restricter that I removed but it didn't help. I had to do the full disassemble. Oh well, at least the end result is the same. It works.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just went through the same thing ,no water water pressure in the kitchen faucet . I took the head ,hose, off found nothing that was plugging things ,cleaned an put back three times. The thing still had no water pressure ,then pulled the whole faucet off and took everything a part that I could. I couldn't see anything plugged but really don't see well anyway. I put things back together and ran air threw it with the air compressor. I then reinstalled the faucet and the pressure , spray worked like new. I guess the air pressure found something I couldn't see and fixed what ever was blocking things , somewhere......Ken

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
So I have been following this thread and it has got me to thinking. Two sets of Ken and Kathys is quite confusing to me. I think it would be very considerate if one of the couples changed their names. Perhaps Bernie and Matilda? Just a suggestion of of course, lmbo,,, Lizzy

Happy Campers

On our faucet the water pressure got really low while i was using it and my first impression was everybody in the campground was using water at the same time.In a few minutes it almost stopped and i knew something was wrong.I took the spray head apart and discovered the screens were plugged up with what looked like sawdust but it was hard and gritty.I don't know if there was supposed to be two screens or not but after cleaning both i only used one for the reassembly and the other went into a drawer.Now we have our regular pressure back. :)

kakampers

Lizzy...I've already changed Ken's name...However, can't repeat on the forum what I usually call him!! LOL;)