ATF: Landmark - Stacked Washer and Dryer Installation

ksucats

2015 Key West with the WD Closet - had our local dealer install the Spendide stacked washer and Dryer two weeks ago. Noticed that the joined units move fore and aft quite a bit. Dealer installed a fabric strap approx one inch in front of the unit, dryer door height - anchored into the masonite on the right side and sidewall on the left using a single screw. In any case, the real question is - is there supposed to be this much movement. It seems to me that there should have been some type of bracket installed to keep them from moving fore and aft (they did install the part to stack the two together) . Any help is most appreciated.

TxCowboy

KSUCats, we have the Whirlpools installed and they do not move at all. While I'm not sure how the washer is secured at the bottom, the washing and dryer are connected together, on my units, with this attaching bracket and screws.

20160411_201121.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying that they move during travel or while they are in use?
If they have been properly leveled they should not move much during use.
Ours are not anchored and do not move during travel.

Peace
Dave

ksucats

Other than bringing the coach home from KC (158 miles) we have not traveled since the installation. They did not appear to have moved then. That said, what I'm speaking of is just pushing on them while sitting still (not in use) or pulling on them from the top - they move a good 2 inches fore and aft - a total of 4 inches of movement. Our last coach had WD installed and those things didn't budge one bit. This just doesn't seem right but the dealer said that was the way they should be.. :confused: I may go to Four Seasons RV - they handle Keystone products and I believe some Heartland toy haulers to see what their service department says. Much easier to take the coach 40 miles than 150 each way.

ksucats

Paul: That is actually what I was expecting on ours - the two units do have the 'stacking kit' installed that keeps the two (W&D) together but there is nothing holding the units to the floor that I see.

All: What I'm really concerned with is the fact that the units appear to be able to fall forward if we have to brake hard, there is nothing but that strap to hold them from falling forward through the door and into the closed slide. ??? Here is shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head wondering.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at the clearance between the top of the dryer and the ceiling. If it is only a couple of inches there is no way that they will tip because the front or back edge will contact the ceiling as it is tipping and prevent them from going over.

Peace
Dave

ksucats

I wish that were the case - there is about two, maybe three feet from the top of the dryer to the ceiling. There is a shelf in the middle of that space but it is also quite high. I will try to take a picture of it during lunch and post such if I can figure out how. :cool:

ksucats

Here are the photos I took at lunch. There is approximately four inches of space on the left side of the units. I also did the push/pull test -- going back the units are fairly sturdy - the dryer tipped back on the washer; pulling forward I was easily able to pull it forward to the point where it was on the strap and could come forward on its face without any trouble (that is in falling - there would be a lot of trouble with the units face down on the ground / stuck upon the door / slideout).

Attachments

• 20160412_130802.jpg
    20160412_130802.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 20160412_130810.jpg
    20160412_130810.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20160412_130820.jpg
    20160412_130820.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 113

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe these would help? Supposed to keep front feet in place, but does not prevent tipping, according to the instructions.

ksucats

An update and request: Went to Lifestyle RV yesterday and found one of the coaches with the stacked washer and Dryer installed. It had one of the shelves 'reinstalled' just above the dryer in such a way that the stack could not fall forward. In looking at the installation it appears that there are two horizontal 1X2 by may six inches long boards running on the side walls with the shelf then sitting (and apparently screwed) down into those 1 by 2s. What I need help with is what type of fasteners would I need to reinstall one of the shelves they removed from the closet when they installed the WD. On the left side (exterior wall) I imagine I'd be going through Masonite and then into the insulation board; on the right side it feels as if it is just thin Masonite. Any help is most appreciated. (this will be scary - I'm no DIY person - but 300 plus miles to have the dealer install it is a bit much :rolleyes: Thanks.

ksucats

Well, a quick update again. Took the coach on a weekend trip to a local campground. Before leaving I took the existing strap and resecured it to the wall using the same screw that the dealer installed it with, but I added a washer. upon arrival we found that the strap was again broken from the screw side. Tells me that the washer/dryer assembly do wobble quite a bit. Dealer still insists that the strap is what they use. Oh well, I have a neighbor who is handy with tools and wood - I may try to get his help in getting something set up.

mlpeloquin

I did not do the stacked, but combo unit. I hope you had a drain pan installed in case of a leak. Also the units should be attached to the floor with brackets. This is only the drain pan. It doesn't have the brackets showing, but they screw in and hold the front feet from moving. Some have used eye hooks in to the floor and the tie down straps so long as there is room on each side of your instillation. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=tie+down+straps

IMG_0905.JPG

ksucats

Yep - they initially didn't put a drain pan although we had it on the estimate / work order so they had to remove everything and put it in. There are some brackets on the front feet as well that keep the unit from moving, and there is the stacking kit that keeps the units together, but neither keep the unit(s) from tipping forward. The following link was provided to me by TravelTiger a while back - http://www.splendide.com/downloads.htm and then the MK01_Installation.pdf. It shows exactly what was installed and the PDF also shows that it is not designed to keep the appliance from tipping forward.

Wish I knew how to attached photos here and I'd put one of the strap install :confused:

Last edited:

ksucats

Dave - I forgot about that one - flipped the page on me -- memory is not what it used to be -- had one of the members PM me with instructions back then. There are days when rocks have more memory than I do, or so I feel.

Regardless, that strap has now 'broken free', for the second time, from the screw that is holding the right side. It doesn't pull the screw out, it simply breaks, even with a washer added. The wife and I visited the dealer several weeks ago and they had a different model Landmark there with the stacked WD installed. What I saw was that the top shelf had a wood piece attached from the bottom basically sitting VERY close to the top of the dryer. Best I can describe it is that the shelf itself is the top of a T and the wood piece the leg of the T. It did not rub on the Dryer but was so close that when I tried to tip the unit forward it would hit that wood and stop the tilt. Now, that said, the shelf that is above my dryer is about twice the distance from the Dryer as the one I saw so I don't know if we are going to have to move it lower or not. Guess we'll see :cool:.

20160412_130810.jpg

Attachments

• 20160521_111617.jpg
    20160521_111617.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20160521_111626.jpg
    20160521_111626.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 64

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I vote for moving the shelf.
It is not difficult to do. Because the shelf is hollow you will need to pry off the luan of the shelf surface.
You will then see how the shelf is cleated to the walls.
Remove the screws, re position the shelf and install the luan that you removed.
When I find it, I have a picture of the shelf being removed and I will post it.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

You could also add another piece of wood under the shelf screwing in from the top with wood screws. Add some rubber pads to cushion the washer drier stack if they hit. A lot less labor.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple of shelf removal pics.
I used a home made tool and it took only about five minutes to remove the shelf.
20150428_105312R.jpg 20150428_105348R.jpg 20150428_105523R.jpg

Peace
Dave