Delamination issues on 2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 king

Has anyone had any delamination issues on their cyclone 4100's, Iv'e got 3 places it was reported to my rv dealer and showed to them, at the 6 month point of ownership the maint manager told me that since they were only the size of 50cent pieces that it was normal to see this. He said to watch it and I noticed that they are now about 8" long 5" wide and have went to the top of the unit. He didn't think there was a leak issue, more of a bonding issue, I was with him and we couldn't find any leak signs other than the delamination and even now there is no evidence inside of the unit???

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Have you checked the caulking seal along the roof for any cracks? Also what Month and Year was your unit Manufactured? If it was anytime in 2014 then you could possibly have some water damage from bad caulking. It's just a thought.

danemayer

Take clear pictures that show the areas in question and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Be prepared to email the pictures.

aRAYwego

Have you checked the caulking seal along the roof for any cracks? Also what Month and Year was your unit Manufactured? If it was anytime in 2014 then you could possibly have some water damage from bad caulking. It's just a thought.

Is there a known issue with caulking on units manufactured in 2014? First I have seen this referenced.

danemayer

Is there a known issue with caulking on units manufactured in 2014? First I have seen this referenced.
In the context of delamination, water intrusion is the most common cause. I'm sure the caulking comment is more about that as a possible connection.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Caulking subjected to sun/weather/time/temperature fluctuations will deteriorate. Heartland recommends checking the caulking on your coach every 3 months, and repair/replace any that has cracked or shrunk to avoid water intrusion. It is the owner's responsibility after 3 mo (no longer covered under the 1 year warranty). Since a 2015 unit could have been manufactured in 2014 and sat on the dealer lot for a while, if the caulking did need attention, it likely was not addressed by the dealer, creating a possible entryway for water to cause delamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aRAYwego

Ah ok. I see the thought process now. Sorry, it's only Tuesday and it's already been a long week. I read and processed it as an issue with materials or application in 2014.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Caulking subjected to sun/weather/time/temperature fluctuations will deteriorate. Heartland recommends checking the caulking on your coach every 3 months, and repair/replace any that has cracked or shrunk to avoid water intrusion. It is the owner's responsibility after 3 mo (no longer covered under the 1 year warranty). Since a 2015 unit could have been manufactured in 2014 and sat on the dealer lot for a while, if the caulking did need attention, it likely was not addressed by the dealer, creating a possible entryway for water to cause delamination.

This is what I was trying to say in my post(#2)

I personally check the unit frequently and I also had the roof cleaned by a tech and the caulking was all checked by him ar the time of the cleaning. i went back up yesterday and still can't find any caulk issues. since it was reported before the year with the dealer I'm going to let them handle it. this is my 12th unit and only the second one that I've ever had delamination issues with. Is this a problem that heartland sees more than any other? I walked through the campground and I seen 2 others with small places near the roof line. They were both Heartland products??

This could imply that it could have been leaking or the caulking was bad 3 months after it was originally caulked, or it could have shrunk cracked etc while on the dealers lot? In either case if the caulking only lasted foe 3 months to a year this poor craftsmanship. I looked at the papers I got with my unit and no where does it specify that the owners are responsible for delamination issues after 3 months or it would void warranty. if this is the case the dealership and Heartland should notify the consumers mine reads that the roof must be inspected yearly to observe caulking etc. Nothing about 3 months if this is somewhere in small print shame on Heartland!!

TravelTiger

No one said you are responsible for delamination issues, but you are responsible for maintaining the caulk. Failure to do so could introduce water that causes delam. Heartland cannot cover delam caused by water intrusion if you failed to maintain the caulk.

64d4b5fe5a144178a9edaa95a5a5b194.jpg

48d953eed8ccf4e4cab3356e1d4c0cc9.jpg

danemayer

Hi campr-pete,

You're right that your documentation doesn't warn you about delamination as a possible consequence of caulking/sealant issues. But neither does it warn you that if you fail to lube the wheel bearings annually, that a wheel may fall off.

Your delamination may or may not be caused by water intrusion, but sealants/caulking need to be checked frequently to prevent water intrusion.

If you re-check your owners manual, you'll find that there's a maintenance checklist that spells out the need to check roof and sidewall sealants every 3 months along with seals, windows, doors, etc. Here's a screen capture of part of a recent checklist.
maintenance checklist.jpg

And if you re-read the warranty statement, you'll find that warranty doesn't cover issues arising out of maintenance issues. It probably says something like:

The owner is responsible for proper maintenance ......Failure of any product or component caused by improper care,
cleaning procedures, negligence or faulty maintenance is expressly excluded from this warranty.

However, it also probably says something like:

The independent Heartland RV dealer, by agreement with Heartland RV, will maintain the recreational vehicle until it is
sold to the first retail customer

If you look at the date of manufacture on the large white label that's affixed to the frame at the front, on the doorside, you'll have an approximation of how long the trailer sate on the dealer lot. If the dealer had it for an extended period, you might reasonably ask if responsibility for early-life maintenance-related damage actually rests with the dealer.

Went up again today and there are no obvious caulking issues, i do not have a hard back owners manual it was missing i was given a bunch of pages that was run off and stapled together no maintenance program. but this is just a way for any manufacturer to get over on consumers, i called a few of the competitors who thought it was ridiculous to inspect all the caulking joints every 3 months and they stated that even Heartland doesn't expect for a 75 year old man to do this , they also commented that if Heartland is under the impression that it must be checked every 3 months or there could be issues what if the issue occurred the day after you checked it? Even though I'm not 75 I did check along with the rv dealers maintenance guy and we discovered no issues with caulking. Leaks can travel sometimes from areas that are not obvious and unless you pull the shrouds off the ac units it could be very easily missed along with many other hidden places. In defense of the consumer unless you are an expert or the man above anyone could miss a 1/8" uncaulked area.

- - - Updated - - -

I've built several homes and have never had any sealant breakdown in 3 months or even years again this is just a way for manufacturers who have paid high price lawyers to cover their butts! my unit is under cover and has only been used 4 times 4.2 weeks in the elements since I"ve owned it the build date was 1-10-2015 I got it 4-2 -2015.

TravelTiger

Went up again today and there are no obvious caulking issues, i do not have a hard back owners manual it was missing i was given a bunch of pages that was run off and stapled together no maintenance program. but this is just a way for any manufacturer to get over on consumers, i called a few of the competitors who thought it was ridiculous to inspect all the caulking joints every 3 months and they stated that even Heartland doesn't expect for a 75 year old man to do this , they also commented that if Heartland is under the impression that it must be checked every 3 months or there could be issues what if the issue occurred the day after you checked it? Even though I'm not 75 I did check along with the rv dealers maintenance guy and we discovered no issues with caulking. Leaks can travel sometimes from areas that are not obvious and unless you pull the shrouds off the ac units it could be very easily missed along with many other hidden places. In defense of the consumer unless you are an expert or the man above anyone could miss a 1/8" uncaulked area.

- - - Updated - - -

I've built several homes and have never had any sealant breakdown in 3 months or even years again this is just a way for manufacturers who have paid high price lawyers to cover their butts! my unit is under cover and has only been used 4 times 4.2 weeks in the elements since I"ve owned it the build date was 1-10-2015 I got it 4-2 -2015.

I don't thing Rvs can be compared to homes. Rvs go down the highway and rattle and roll, subject to all sorts of forces. Not the same building materials, practices or regulations.

I can tell you, you have done the research. (Though I don't believe a competitor is going to say good things about HL, ever).

But a PO'd attitude will proBably not get you what you want. We had a place under a window that was delamination within our 1 year warranty. We had maintained the sulk as specified. I very nicely asked HL what could be done. I was asked to take it to a qualified repair center to have the window removed and examined. I did so, and the independent RV Repair facility sent detailed pics to Heartland, with their recommendations on what was the cause. Never once was I rude or threatening. Heartland took care of us.

I wish you luck in getting yours taken care of. If I were you, I would go directly to HL, avoid the dealer who is not necessarily in your corner and will only be a complicating middleman to the process.

Lyrikz74

Not trying to hijack but i have a 2014 with this issue. I have no idea where its coming from but id like to get it fixed before it gets worse. I thought maybe water was coming UP from the fueling staying. Any ideas?
20160531_184717_zpsm6vusoev.jpg
20160531_184704_zpsjt6t9gtx.jpg

danemayer

Not trying to hijack but i have a 2014 with this issue. I have no idea where its coming from but id like to get it fixed before it gets worse. I thought maybe water was coming UP from the fueling staying. Any ideas?

Looks like the delamination is pretty close to your window.

bbells

Lyrikz74, my delamination looks almost exactly like yours but is at the front side of the window. It took very little time to go from what yours is to the 3' bubble mine currently is. My caulk looks fine - But the factory only caulked to top of the window. Can't see any water damage. It is in getting repaired right now. No matter what anyone says, even with a little water noting should delaminate that fast (1.5 year old trailer). I have had a sheet of interior plywood leaning against the outside of my barn for over 2 years and it hasn't delaminated yet. IMHO, having worked with all types of glues, etc., delamination this fast must be an adhesion problem. I think it is temperature related. HL said they would not cover the repair, and i have been very nice.