Another Plumbing Problem - Help

geeksrus

We are having a problem with our black water system. From time-to-time when we flush, the waste does not flow into the tank. It appears to back up in the pipe between the toilet & the tank.
This can happen when the black tank is full or empty. Also, it can happen when flushing just water or when there are solids with the water.
We've tried both the GEO method & commercial RV products to unplug but are still having the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

EH!

Forrest Fetherolf

Your toilet tank problem is called "pyramid of pucky", caused by not flushing with enough water or not flushing the holding tank completely when dumping. The fix..............fill tank, dump and flush, don't leave toilet tank drain valve open when connected to sewer, dump tank when nearly full.

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to say, I've not heard that term before. LOL!!! But it certainly does make for a good description of the problem. If you have trouble filling the tank from the top, you may have to use the tank flusher but be sure to have someone stationed in the stool room to yell when the tank is full. And as Forrest said, when parked and hooked up to sewer, keep the black tank valve closed until you are near full and need to dump the tank. Use plenty of water when you use the room and turn on your flusher when dumping your tank. Run it until the water coming out is clear. Buy a clear plastic sewer adapter so you can view your dump flush and you can see what's "coming down the pipe"

Forrest Fetherolf

Ray L.
You haven't heard of my previous term for toilet tank problem? I grew up in Illinois..........Mom also used the term of "Heffer Dust"..........she is a very modest lady and refused to use the term of "B-S" as she spoke. :D

Forrest

HappyKayakers

You got some good advice on what to do after your current problem is resolved. But if you have hardened 'material' in the tank under the pipe, you need to break that up first. Try a snake or a 6 -8 ft piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe. It's a messy job, but someone's got to do it.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
In the way back past, I had a very smart RVer tell me to buy a back of ice and pour it in the tank, just as I was getting ready to drive away. The ice action will break up the solids and leave you with a sludge when you drain the tank. It's similar to a scrubber inside the tank. I do that about every 5th time we tow. Even after using the tank washer, it will break up anything that's left "behind".