suspension on heartland 5th wheel

Kathi-27

was wondering why heartland doesn't use dexter torflex axles instead of spring axles.would be a lot smoother ride and when I priced out the torflex is almost 500 dollars cheeper at list price than leaf spring setup. looks like that would be more cost efficient and less stress on everything

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just did a little research and what I found is that for two 7k tubular axles with brakes and springs the cost would be about $1,570.
Two 7,200 pound Torflex axle assemblies complete would run about $2,082.
Are you sure you were pricing apples to apples?
But for a difference of $500 it's not a bad idea.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

With the Torque Flex axles, it is absolutely imperative to run level!! Otherwise, you are overloading an axle.

Kathi-27

the figure I came up with was for 8000 axles and all the hardware 2 axles. torflex was 3772. leaf spring was 4157. would make sense for heartland to go with torflex with there volume it would be even less.and would sure save on wear on unit.

Kathi-27

I have had torflex axles on race car trailers for over 25 years and have never had a problem. was not always level and was probably over weight a few times.

caissiel

Newmar tried it for a while. Look where they make trailers at now. A friend had one with 8 tires and they needed replacement after 3 years. Not for me.
I had experiences with rubber bearings in the mill industry. They were junk.
Most installation need added frame reinforcing that cost a fortune. Not for me after 24 years of trailer ownership.
Just have one setup installed if needed, dought the price would be more, if the axles get credited.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk