ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw?

On our 2015 Prowler P292, the entrance door has a gas strut to hold the door open.

However, this is NOT a good feature as every single time the wind blows . . . it not only rips the screws out of the side wall of the trailer . . . but the door itself!

It has already caused us to have one of the awning arms replaced under warranty at it got bent when the awning came down on top of the entrance door!

When a mobile tech was working on our Prowler, he told us that the awning could have been moved a couple of inches to avoid not only having to use the gas strut, but also to keep the door opened all the way without having it rest on the awning arm.

What do you think of his suggestion?

Attachments

• ProwlerDoorStrut-1000316.jpg
    ProwlerDoorStrut-1000316.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 99
  • ProwlerDefectsEntranceDoorBracket-P1000773.jpg
    ProwlerDefectsEntranceDoorBracket-P1000773.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ProwlerDoorStrut-P1010547.jpg
    ProwlerDoorStrut-P1010547.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 100
  • ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010693.jpg
    ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010693.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I don't know John....with the window there maybe there's something in the framing in that area that prevented them from moving the strut in that direction...I'm playing the Devil's Advocate :rolleyes:

Monica

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I think there is a simple less expensive fix to your issue. The brackets being used are not big enough to do the job they need to do. The material they are screwed into is not sturdy enough to do what it needs to do. If you were closer I would fabricate the brackets for you. Take those brackets off and find a metal shop that can make new ones for you. Make sure that they build them with a larger foot print where they attach, meaning that instead of two or three screws 4 to six. For the bracket that is attached to the wall of the coach I would make a matching plate for the inside and run some screws/bolts all the way through. I would get some flat headed screws so that they would not bulge the inside paneling out when installed. I would also run some screws all the way through the door bracket as well. You will need to take the door completely off to be able to get the mounting plate on the inside installed and still keep the inside paneling intact.

JohnD

I did fix the bracket on the door by drilling all the way through the door and using bolts with lock nuts instead of wood screws.

That part is holding really well.

However, the issue really isn't the bracket, but the fact that the door can't be opened all the way, and when the strut is removed, the door swings all the way open, but the awning arm is in the way (only by about 1 1/2 inches).

If that door is anywhere near the awning arm if the awning is moved . . . it catches the door.

Thus the bent awning arm (in our case it filled with water and that arm dropped down on top of the door).

What I would like to know is of the whole awning can be moved forward about 2 1/2 inches . . . allowing the door to open all the way!

I'm sure that many current and future owners of not only the 292 series, but any other RV out there that is designed this way, would like to have this not be an issue.

danemayer

Re: ATF: Prowler - Placement of awning . . . design flaw?

John,

i'm sure you'll get opinions from other owners, but I don't think I've ever seen the factory engage on the forum regarding post-manufacturing changes such as you're suggesting.

JohnD

John,

i'm sure you'll get opinions from other owners, but I don't think I've ever seen the factory engage on the forum regarding post-manufacturing changes such as you're suggesting.

I thought this was the "Ask The Factory" forum.

danemayer

I thought this was the "Ask The Factory" forum.

John,

If you were asking them to investigate changing the design on a future trailer, they might respond that your input is being passed along to engineering for consideration. But your question reads more like you want advice on modifying your trailer. Never seen that happen.

JohnD

That is exactly what I am trying to do . . .

1) Let Heartland know that these struts do not hold (I know I am not the only one frustrated by this), and they (door struts) are not just on Prowlers.

2) I would like to know if it is possible to actually move the whole awning forward about 2-inches as there physically is enough room (see 3rd photo).

Here are some photos that show what I am talking about:

ProwlerDoorCclamp-P1000769.jpg ProwlerDoorBungee-P1000503.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010699.jpg

1st shot shows how the door overlaps awning arm, 2nd shot shows how the door hits awning arm when awning is out, 3rd shot a side view of Prowler.

I figured that the 'Ask The Factory' forum was where these kinds of issues were to be brought up.

If not, then perhaps we shouldn't have have an 'Ask The Factory' forum for each Heartland brand name.

danemayer

If you want to ask about moving the awning, you'll do better to call Heartland Customer Service. But I'm guessing that if you want to modify the placement of the awning, you'll be on your own to decide how to do it and whether it's a good idea.

Maybe when you get to Las Vegas you can take out some tools and scratch your head while looking at the awning. That should collect a bunch of guys who'll offer opinions and help to figure out the best answer.:)

JohnD

Maybe when you get to Las Vegas you can take out some tools and scratch your head while looking at the awning. That should collect a bunch of guys who'll offer opinions and help to figure out the best answer.:)

I'll have to try that . . . and maybe having a bottle of Fireball will help bring them over, too! :eek:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Looking at picture #2 in post #9 you might benefit from using one of these placed midway across the lower part of your door.
The 6 inch version might work.
s-l500.jpg

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Looking at picture #2 in post #9 you might benefit from using one of these placed midway across the lower part of your door.
The 6 inch version might work.
s-l500.jpg

Peace
Dave

I've already checked those out . . . the longest I've found is 10-inch ones!

With the awning down, I opened the door as far as I could and measured that I would need one around 16-inches long.

I thought about moving it in from the outside corner of the door to somewhere in the middle of the door so I could use the 10-inch one, but I'm not too sure that it would be very strong there.

willett

we had the same problem with our door on our previous trailer. took the gas strut off and put a door holder like in cookies post worked good put it was nice having the door half open, reach out and close it with out going done the steps. we didn't have awning in the way. the closer you move the plastic holder to the hinge the farther the door will be from your awning . inexspensive fix. moving the awning is a big job and you'll have holes t fix.

MTPockets

What I would like to know is of the whole awning can be moved forward about 2 1/2 inches . . . allowing the door to open all the way!

John, instead of moving the awning forward 2 1/2 inches, just leave the Prowler hooked up and back the trailer 2 1/2 inches..... 😝😜😁👌

JohnD

Here is a better shot of the door open with the strut still on but with the awning out:

ProwlerDoorOpen-P1000069.jpg

R

rbrady

John - My name is Ryan Brady and I am with Heartland. Can you give me a call at 574-370-5728? Thanks!

JohnD

John - My name is Ryan Brady and I am with Heartland. Can you give me a call at 574-370-5728? Thanks!

I'll give you a call tomorrow . . .

Bgthomas

Yer right, John. I have the same door on my Northtrail 32BUDS, and the same bracket, though its a different awning strut design. The door might lose that fight. Still, I have to routinely tighten the bracket screws. There is evidence they've yanked out on strain before. I was already considering a drill through with bolts.