Cleaning & Waxing exterior, finish issue after waxing

TJ_Mac

I have a question. First let me say for the most part we a very happy with our 2011 Bighorn. But I was in the hospital and recovering for some time and have let the cleaning and waxing lapse. The last time we waxed with NuFinish and it did fine. This time we used Xymol and the front looks great. However I did about 40% of the back and the finish looks uneven, as if the gel-coat was much thinner on the back and I hope this is not permanently damaged :confused: I had no idea the front finish was different from the back side... Please assist. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 2011 Bighorn and I know what you are talking about although I don't think the rear cap gel-coat is different than the front.
I believe that the rear, especially under the window, takes more of a weather beating than the front.
Once oxidation starts it's difficult to get rid of it without a lot of elbow grease.
I have used a polishing compound on that area and it looks much better.
That is just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

TJ_Mac

Hi Dave, Thanks for the quick reply.

It's not the difference between the front or rear caps, it's the front side panels vs the back side panels. The front side cleaned and waxed up great, I have no issues there. The back side, specifically the panels and not the plastic or painted sheet metal, look as if the finish is uneven, almost like the gel-coat was thinner on the back panels than the front and I hope I am wrong, as if the gel-coat was much thinner on the back panels and it's now spotty.

I did exactly the same thing on the front and back sides, and the end cap I've done looks great also (haven't made it to the front cap). We move locations regularly, since we live in it much of the time, so the rig has not had one side only to sun and weather. I'd really like to fix this, seeing the difference between the front and back made me and my wife a little ill. The 2011 Bighorn is our baby and home.