ATF: Road Warrior - tanks , axles and such

IronJ

so I just dropped my 420 to my super friendly dealer for sum warranty tidbits. I don't think they have really worked on many rw420s as its a smaller dealer and they don't move a ton of volume on the larger expensive rigs...none the less, they have been great to me, and I trust they will do what they need to.

first off, my trailer was purchased with the 7000lb axles, but the sticker on the side of the unit indicates 6000lb is that normal or is there a separate sticker for the 7000lb axle that my manufacturer sheet says came with the trailer?

second, what drains to where regarding the 2black and 2 grey tanks?
we are having an issue with the panel in the rear not reading anything, but the tech wasn't even sure what it was wired to read?

lastly, we have YET to get any of the sat connections to work inside the trailer. the dealer originally said they didn't have equipment to test the wires. so I left ALL my fully functioning dish equipment in the trailer for them to fix it...this has been one thing my wife has been VERY aggravated with (well besides the fact that every tv is blurry/fuzzy wihen connected to cable service) I am using a dish tailgaiter, and I even told my dealer he could permenantly mount it to the trailer if he needed to .....whatever we need to get it fixed..we are BIG TIME tailgaters and we use EVERY tv!! its one of the reasons we chose this unit. If my dealer once again cannot solve this, whats next?

if anyone has any ideas or info I appreciate it....I stay in good contact with my service guy (really cannot say enough about how well they have treated us) but its a 200 mile trip to drop this thing off and pick it up....so I really wanna knock it all out this time and before my warranty is up in july.

Thanks

Jeremy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that you can check.
First when you are using cable be sure that the antenna booster is turned off. You only want it on when getting your signal over the air.
Second be sure to tell your TV where you are getting the signal from such as HDMI, cable, over the air, composite or AV.
Then do a channel search.
Lastly I would check all of the F-connectors on the end of every coax. Unscrew them and be sure there are no strands of the shielding touching the center conductor.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

first off, my trailer was purchased with the 7000lb axles, but the sticker on the side of the unit indicates 6000lb is that normal or is there a separate sticker for the 7000lb axle that my manufacturer sheet says came with the trailer?

You'll want to look at the label on the axle. In the picture, I believe D70, above Order #, indicates the 7,000 axle. You can compare this to your order sheet/bill of sale.
IMG_20121129_130229.jpg

IronJ

There are a couple of things that you can check.
First when you are using cable be sure that the antenna booster is turned off. You only want it on when getting your signal over the air.
Second be sure to tell your TV where you are getting the signal from such as HDMI, cable, over the air, composite or AV.
Then do a channel search.
Lastly I would check all of the F-connectors on the end of every coax. Unscrew them and be sure there are no strands of the shielding touching the center conductor.

Peace
Dave
It's not something simple as that unfortunantly. ..the booster is tied to cable I know but on/off don't help...

I did pull the basement and looked at the connectors near the udc....

Yes they were there and connected, but they were all cheap and loose looking. Also I don't think the correct splitter is installed for the dish sat bandwidth. ..I tried bypassing the splitter and still could not get anything to work anywhere...

At that point I gave up as it's under warranty and far too time consuming for me to fix (I'm sure I could but why?? I expect it to be remedied by hearland/my dealer)

As for the cable I noticed that the signal quality will change just by moving a tv/wires....so it's gotta be an install issue

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

IronJ

You'll want to look at the label on the axle. In the picture, I believe D70, above Order #, indicates the 7,000 axle. You can compare this to your order sheet/bill of sale.
View attachment 44398
8ba9ad14488e8c04d0fa670276b7da23.jpg

I was going off this sheet from heartland . It says 7000lb axles are equipped. I should have crawled under before I dropped it off for warranty work...I was just wondering because the yellow sticker on the side of my trailer says 6000lb axles?

IronJ

For those of you who posted axle shots, what do the stickers on the side of your rig (with gvrw and such) say?

danemayer

For those of you who posted axle shots, what do the stickers on the side of your rig (with gvrw and such) say?

I don't think mine references the capacity. But it's also a lot older than yours.

The label on the axle was put on at the Dexter manufacturing plant and has the part number, order number, code for capacity. That's the meaningful label.

The label on the side of the RV is put on at Heartland. It'd be really easy to grab a sticker that doesn't match what's on your rig.

Look at what's on the axle.

IronJ

Yes I need to get the actual axle info...too bad my trailer is 3 hrs away..

I'll ask my tech to look Monday and send me a pic...that will tell all...

I was just curious if anyone's stickers said 7000 or if 6 was standard and 7 was a "standard upgrade " 6k lb axles would still provide a 20k gvrw easily for the whole trailer but I'm sure 7k axles have better components...maybe even brakes?..

Rhyph

I have the wiring schematics to the coax wiring on the 420 (they do exist). I can't scan it until we get home next week.

In general as with ours, we had to cut all the factory connectors off, re-strip, and reinstall. The orange lines that come to the udc go straight to the roof. We had to put a toner on them as they were reversed and mis-labeled at the udc to figure out which was the line for lnb 1 and 2. Then every grey line had to be toned. One line which should go to lnb 1 is supposed to be your primary receiver loop, which is direct wired to the satellite port in the bedroom closet. The other does have a splitter and that goes to your 3 other tv locations for a slave receiver install. Depending on what dish equipment and provider, will dictate what can and can't be done. In our case we have a roof mount Pathway X1 with a new Dish Network Wally receiver as our primary and our older VIP 211K now is the slave. A splitter in the line will not work with our slave to ODU setup, we had to take it out.

IronJ

I have several coax diagrams for the wires but none match what I found in my basement

Right off the bat my sat and cable were switched on the amplifier plate (ie my sat was on tho plate with the antenna instead of its own)

The splitters for my Sat are marked 900mhtz

Right after my udc my sat splits with one running to what looks like the main ent center and the other to the bedroom...who knows what goes where from there as the trailer has 5 sat connections and cable as well...

I have a feeling it's going to need to be worked over as you did yours, but I don't have time for all that nor do I feel I should have to..

That's what the warranty is for and why I drove me unit back 2.5 hrs to my service guy to deal with...he gets paid for that stuff....I don't lol!!!

Hopefully I'm not back on here in. 3 months steaming and asking for help From you guys !! Haha...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not to hijack the thread but who is your dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

No hijack at all...it's actually listed on the sheet I posted FRANKLINS big Country rv in abilene texas....super bad *** people to deal with all the way around! !...I have a camping world 2 blocks from my house that I coulda bought same trailer from......opted to go the extra ...errrr....hundreds of miles to someone who acted like they cared about me.......

Rhyph

I have several coax diagrams for the wires but none match what I found in my basement

Right off the bat my sat and cable were switched on the amplifier plate (ie my sat was on tho plate with the antenna instead of its own)

The splitters for my Sat are marked 900mhtz

Right after my udc my sat splits with one running to what looks like the main ent center and the other to the bedroom...who knows what goes where from there as the trailer has 5 sat connections and cable as well...

I have a feeling it's going to need to be worked over as you did yours, but I don't have time for all that nor do I feel I should have to..

That's what the warranty is for and why I drove me unit back 2.5 hrs to my service guy to deal with...he gets paid for that stuff....I don't lol!!!

Hopefully I'm not back on here in. 3 months steaming and asking for help From you guys !! Haha...

Right on and I agree. It was actually my dealer and I who re worked the wiring on ours together, because they were super cool with me digging in and helping out.

And yeah that's a no-go on those splitters, need 3ghz to ensure maximum compatibility. Dunno why Heartland bothered with using incorrect splitters which will now cost them for warranty service after the fact.

We also went with a smaller dealer over CW and we drove about half a day to get to them. Best buying and PDI service experience we've ever had. We've even worked with them remotely to solve the other couple of issue we've had pop up since with no problems.

IronJ

I agree. I found this dealer just by chance as we were driving all over Texas trying to just LOOK at the floorplan. ... I went to my camping world down the street and told em exactly what I wanted and said I would write a check for x ammount as soon as they got it.....they literally fought with me the entire process constantly saying they would lose money and no one sells them for that (even though rvw and franklins had already offered to do so)

I offered same to franklins if they worked a new B&W head into the deal....took one day and they said "when u wanna pick it up" done...easy as that. Matter of fact when I took it back for work the my sales guy and the service guy walked out to greet me and offer me food (they were cooking out as it was an open house day)...they had me park my rig right in front so people coming in could see it..lol

But I digress. ...if you get a chance shoot me the diagram you have. It may prove helpful none the less!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We were having the same Cable TV issue with our Prowler . . .

First off, the outside cable line was connected to the line out of the splitter in the basement, and the line in to the splitter was connected to the TV wall plate in the basement.

One I straightened that out, I discovered that it was the built-in car stereo/DVD player's coax antenna connected to the same splitter as the TV was shorting out the cable signal.

Unplugged the radio from the spitter . . . and perfect picture!

Of course, when my dealer had it in for warranty repairs, they determined that the problem was that the stereo was unplugged from the splitter . . . hooked it back up (ie.- now I am having the same issue again) . . . then Fort Knoxed the stereo into the entertainment center so that it took a pry bar and two pair of channel locks to get it back out!

ProwlerEntCenter-IMAG0231.jpg

Anyway . . . hope some of this helps to get your working!

ram_1955

Reference your holding tanks. Here is what I have on mine

Okay I have some info and I hope it helps.
Front black front toilet tank holds 50 gallons drains through the front drain and is the front/front valve
Grey #1 front tub and front sink holds 45 gallons drains through the front drain and is the front/back valve
Grey #2 kitchen sink and rear bath tub holds about 27 gallons drains through the front drain and is the rear/top valve
Rear black rear toilet and rear sink holds about 27 gallons drains through the rear drain and is the rear/bottom vavle

- - - Updated - - -

I found that the for top coax connections are for the cable. Front is front bedroom second is the living room third and forth not sure as we don't have tvs in the basement or the garage. the antenna goes to the front bedroom and the living room. There is an extra focal connection behind the main tv that I guess goes to the bottom lonely connector outside. Our tvs have good pictures from the cable and antenna.

IronJ

- - - Updated - - -

We were having the same Cable TV issue with our Prowler . . .

First off, the outside cable line was connected to the line out of the splitter in the basement, and the line in to the splitter was connected to the TV wall plate in the basement.

One I straightened that out, I discovered that it was the built-in car stereo/DVD player's coax antenna connected to the same splitter as the TV was shorting out the cable signal.

Unplugged the radio from the spitter . . . and perfect picture!

Of course, when my dealer had it in for warranty repairs, they determined that the problem was that the stereo was unplugged from the splitter . . . hooked it back up (ie.- now I am having the same issue again) . . . then Fort Knoxed the stereo into the entertainment center so that it took a pry bar and two pair of channel locks to get it back out!

View attachment 44410

Anyway . . . hope some of this helps to get your working!

mine has a sony dvd player in the main ent center. and its hdmi

i do have boss car stereo type dvd player in the garage. but its hooked up via rca cables no coax to my knowledge) it has never actually played a dvd tho as it would only say "loading" and never loaded...LOL....its on the fix list as well....

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
- - - Updated - - -

mine has a sony dvd player in the main ent center. and its hdmi

i do have boss car stereo type dvd player in the garage. but its hooked up via rca cables no coax to my knowledge) it has never actually played a dvd tho as it would only say "loading" and never loaded...LOL....its on the fix list as well....

But how is the Boss car stereo antenna attached?

If it is with a coax connector to the coax splitter that goes to the trailer's roof antenna, try unplugging that to see if that clears up the cable picture.

It was this connection that was causing our cable issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Also . . . the wall plate behind the living room TV with the cable and sat connections was labeled backwards.

In other words, I was getting antenna and cable through the connection labeled ''SAT'.

Rather than relabel, I just pulled the wall plate with the connections in it and remounted it upside down to match the labels.

Of course, while I had the wall plate off, I discovered that the coax cables were not screwed on tight.

IronJ

on mine it its attached to a flexible rubber car type antenna above the garage.......its actually a very thin lil wire....there are no coax cables or splitters where my dvd player mounts...

that particular radio ony provides (or rather SHOULD) dvd signal to the garage tv and patio....

I could see however that there could be an issue connecting the RF antenna to the cable system

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Also . . . the wall plate behind the living room TV with the cable and sat connections was labeled backwards.

In other words, I was getting antenna and cable through the connection labeled ''SAT'.

Rather than relabel, I just pulled the wall plate with the connections in it and remounted it upside down to match the labels.

Of course, while I had the wall plate off, I discovered that the coax cables were not screwed on tight.

yep mine was too. but at the cable/antenna amp plate.

mine had the sat running to the amp plate. in the bedroom, once I fixed it there, all the tvs work on cable and antenna. its just that there is no consistency in quality of cable...one day it will be clear and the next trip it will be all fuzzy.....sometimes I can remedy it by jiggling wires.....

as for the sat , it has NEVER worked off of the trailers internal wireing....but if I run a cable through window to sat box it "ghetto style" it does...LOL