Electric ignitor for oven pilot light

My wife and I just got a 2016 Mallard M27. The stove has the pilot light you need to light while laying on the floor in a pretzel position. Is there a way I can install a battery powered ignitor in the oven?

Thanks.

Diamondjim

GREAT question. I'll watch for those with far more wisdom than I on this one.
We attended our first rally (great time) and used our oven (Magic Chef) for the first time...............I mean this is a 2011 and do not believe the oven was ever used! It set off the smoke detector until the "paint" burned off.
I hope there is an after market piazzo (sp) igniter, you can retro fit them on gas grills, just sayin.
Thanks for raising the question.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is a subject that comes up from time to time and at least one thought, or opinion, was that if someone turned on the gas and didn't hit the piezo lighter soon enough the oven chamber might fill with gas. Hitting the lighter in that condition would be a bomb.
It usually takes two people to light the pilot light.
Our oven works well for storage.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

This is a subject that comes up from time to time and at least one thought, or opinion, was that if someone turned on the gas and didn't hit the piezo lighter soon enough the oven chamber might fill with gas. Hitting the lighter in that condition would be a bomb.
It usually takes two people to light the pilot light.
Our oven works well for storage.

Peace
Dave

Is this oven lighting danger any different than the millions of propane barbecues out there with manual electronic ignition?

I remember a similar thread on the forum where an owner HAD upgraded his stovetop AND oven to battery-operated electronic ignition. Maybe this thread can be found with an advanced search.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to the post that Bill is referring to, or at least one of them. [LINK] And another. [LINK]
Oh, and I have had an incident with a propane grill that's why I would never add a lighter in my oven.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Is this oven lighting danger any different than the millions of propane barbecues out there with manual electronic ignition?

I remember a similar thread on the forum where an owner HAD upgraded his stovetop AND oven to battery-operated electronic ignition. Maybe this thread can be found with an advanced search.

Propane BBQS are out in the open and any unturned propane is rapidly dissipated. In the oven it just builds up and as mentioned by Dave, could become a bomb.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Get yourself a butane match with a flexible tip and a sharpie.
For this you'll need to get down do you can see the thermocouple---Flex the tip up on the match, hold the tip close to the thermocouple and using the sharpie mark the match where it meets the oven shelf.
Now you know how far to insert the match without looking. I can see the flames reflection in the porcelain bottom pan when lit. Shouldn't have to stand on your head again.
Easy-Peasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjandbj

While lighting the main burner would be a bad idea but I have a water heater in my house that the electronic ignition lite the pilot then the pilot lite will start the main burner. The oven has the same feature. I would love to see a retrofit that would spark to light the pilot. Then the safety would be maintained.

danemayer

At the 2013 North American Rally, an Atwood rep was asked about why the ovens don't have push-button ignition of some sort. I don't remember the details of his answer, but essentially it came down to safety and reliability. I have a vague recollection that in part, it was related to the oven being in a moving platform that bounces down the road.

wdk450

Propane BBQS are out in the open and any unturned propane is rapidly dissipated. In the oven it just builds up and as mentioned by Dave, could become a bomb.

Maybe it would be prudent to simply open the oven door whenever lighting the pilot, just like you would do if lighting it manually with a flame. Also, my experience with the oven has been that you have to push and hold the oven control knob IN for about 30 seconds or more before getting a good flammable gas flow at the pilot orifice enabling the pilot to light. That holding the knob in gets LONG real soon, and the possibility of filling the entire oven with propane gas from the small pilot orifice by holding the knob so long in seems remote. The big flow of gas for the main burner won't happen until the pilot light has heated the thermocouple for about 30 seconds, so there is no big gas flow until the pilot light is lit. In lighting a propane BBQ, there is no small pilot light gas flow, just the big main burner gas flow, so ignition flameups are MUCH more possible.

BTW, our propane water heaters already safely ignite with electronic spark ignitors, albeit with electronic logic boards to limit the amount of time and amount of retries before the system faults out. The same goes for the propane refrigerators, too.

123camper

Why can't someone come up with an electronic ignitor like what's on our water heaters our our gas oven in the stick and brick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk