Goodyear G614

timk

I have a question for those of you who have upgraded from the factory supplied size of 235/80R16 to the Goodyear G614s 235/85R16.

Other than the lump in you throat when you wrote the check, did you have any other issues, specifically side clearance to all the lil things that Lippert put in the way?

And on an unrelated note, did you know that Goodyear Marathons were made in China? I ordered a set, then canceled the order when I found that out. Didn't make much sense to go from one China tire to another.

TimK

Forrest Fetherolf

I switched to GoodYear G614s 10 months and 14k miles after I bought my 06 3600RL when one Trail America "G" rated tire exploded. The G614s were 22 lbs heavier, meaning more material; and about 1 1/2" smaller in diameter, meaning more clearance. The 614s did not rub the shocks as did the China Bombs when making turns.

Forrest

Attached are specs for GoodYear G614..........compare the specs to your existing 235R8016.

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tr...e=pickup&prodline=160007&webprodline=G614+RST

Uncle Rog

Howdy timk, Forrest is absolutely right. When we were installing my GY's we did not have calipers or a scale but we could feel the side walls were significantly thicker and just using the old pick 'em and comparing test they were probably about 20#'s heavier. This is funny, the smaller diameter GY's made my roto-choks too small so I sold them, when Lippert re-did my suspension the bal-choks were too big so I bought another set of roto's! Just like throwing $ in a campfire! I have a couple of thousand mile on the new tires and feel confident going down the road.

One note worth mentioning: I am now MUCH more careful on how wide I take my turns.......A friend of mine with SOB toy hauler nailed an island making a left hand turn pretty hard with all three axles. He had Maxxis tires which are pretty decent but he lost two of the tires within 200 miles of the event!

timk

Thats interesting guys, I thought the 614's were going to be taller.
Good point Roger, I'm always running over things. I know I shouldn't, but I just cant help myself.
TimK

Forrest Fetherolf

timk,

Get those new tires installed and roll-um up to the Las Vegas Rally Sept 26-28. We would like to have you attend if at all possible. Tucson is about 390 miles from the rally.

//heartlandowners.org/images/attach/pdf.gifHeartland Owners Rally.pdf (78.7 KB, 1 views)

Forrest

timk

Forrest, if you can move that rally up about a month or so, I'd love to stop in. Got to get back to work Sept.
Tim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thats interesting guys, I thought the 614's were going to be taller.
Good point Roger, I'm always running over things. I know I shouldn't, but I just cant help myself.
TimK

Tim...not sure what brand of Chinese tires on yours but I have the Karrier Loadstars .

Tire Size:
Karrier: 235/80R/16 OD- 30.9 width- 9.3
Goodyear G614: 235/85R/16 OD-30.7 width-9.5
Michelin XPS RIBS: 235/85R/16 OD- 32.2 width-9.7
245/75R/16 OD- 30.6 width-9.6

Still deciding which one to go with ,thought this might help......Ken

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Katkens...If I could use an E load tire I would definitely go with the Michelin XPS Rib...have used them in the past and feel you can't find a better tire anywhere!!

My 3600RL requires a G load so until Michelin starts making a G load, I'll be using the Goodyear G614's.

We too were surprised at the height difference between the Goldways our Bighorn came with and the Goodyears we replace them with.

timk

Ken I have the Missions, good info, thanks.
I decided to go with the 614s. I did look at the xps rib, but my old E rated tires were rated for 3500 or so, and the xps ribs were only rated just a bit past 3000. Dont know whats up with that other than in China anything goes. I thought the extra rating of the 614s would be a good thing.

cmart

Timk, I'm wanting to replace my bombs with the Michelin, but I only have 1/2" of clearance between the mission tires and the shock now. I'm afraid I'll develop a wear problem on the side. I may try a LT tire from michelin in a 235/80R/16E. This is what my local tire dealer suggested anyway.

timk

Curtis,
I was also worried about the shock clearance. But after installing the 614's, the clearance seemed just about the same. Plus the new rubber is so stiff, I think there is less cornering flex.
TimK

geeksrus

Ken I have the Missions, good info, thanks.
I decided to go with the 614s. I did look at the xps rib, but my old E rated tires were rated for 3500 or so, and the xps ribs were only rated just a bit past 3000. Dont know whats up with that other than in China anything goes. I thought the extra rating of the 614s would be a good thing.

If your 3400RL has the 6000lb axles then the XRibs will be fine... also if you are going with the 614's, make sure your rims support the higher tire pressure.

EH!

ps: I went with the XRibs when I made the decision primarily due to my 6000lb axles.

5erWonk

Is anyone familiar with Goodyear G647s. I was looking at a set at Camping World (unfortunately not my size) and the tech there told me he has not seen a tire hold up like this one.

Could this be a newer version of the 614?

Any opinions, I need to order a set next week when I get home.

Thanks

DennisZ

Those tires are designed for motorhomes, the 16" E rated tires are only rated at 2680 lbs at 80 psi, thats about 400 pounds short of what you need for a trailer E rated.

Dennis

5erWonk

If your 3400RL has the 6000lb axles then the XRibs will be fine... also if you are going with the 614's, make sure your rims support the higher tire pressure.

How do you determine if the rims are suitable? My tire guy who is very well qualified said my current rims with the E rated tires is not a problem for G rated tires.

Any other specs to look at to determine?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How do you determine if the rims are suitable? My tire guy who is very well qualified said my current rims with the E rated tires is not a problem for G rated tires.

Bob, On the alloy wheels, the ratings are forged into one of the spokes on the back side of the wheel. If your wheels don't have spokes the ratings are still on the back of the wheel. Either stamped or forged. Regardless of what any tire saleman says, do not exceed the capacity of your wheel ratings.

Forrest Fetherolf

Your tire guy is blowing smoke........................the G-rated tires may fit the E-rated wheels, but you can only inflate to 80 lbs not 110 lbs as required for G's

Rims are stamped with size (diameter and width) and maximum PSI on the back-side. E-rated wheels are rated @ 80 lbs and G-rated wheels @ 110 lbs.........shouldn't install G-rated tires on E-rated wheels.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/marathon.html

Forrest

5erWonk

Forrest,

Go easy on my tire guy, I need him......Checked the wheels and they are in fact G rated, my luck is changing.

Interested to find out also that the OD on the G614's are essentially the same as the Missions.

Looks like it's time to spend some money

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Well I have 4 GY G614's on the ground now and hopefully no more tire troubles for a while. As much as they cost they should last for 20 yrs but I know better. Atleast I have peace of mind now......

Bill

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I can tell you we've put close to 20,000 miles on these G614's....not one problem so far. They still look new!!