converter plugged into other leg of power source? (2010 Road Warrior)

myla296

I moved my RV from a 50amp service to a 30amp for a better view, totally worth it. But, it's leading to some electrical issues/questions. One of them is that my battery is now draining since my interior lights and radio, and likely other things are not in the 30amp line, apparently? (the lights will wind up flickering, and the battery does a groan as it dies, and goes out)

In my curiosity about figuring out my electrical issues, I found an outlet that was accessible with something plugged in (a cut-out opening in the forward storage area). When I removed the plug from that outlet and plugged it into a different outlet in the vicinity, something powered. I removed the panel that contained the sound and where that original outlet was (and that the working outlet) and found my converter, Paramode 5465 (after a Google search I realized what it was).

So, since my battery is draining, should I plug my converter into a live outlet? (and if so, isn't it odd that Heartland would have routed my converter to the secondary amperage, the other leg?) Having the intended interior lights would be great, along with my radio and embedded speakers. :)

Any other heads up would be appreciated as well, thanks! (my knowledge base is that there are two legs, and luckily my AC, interior outlets, convection oven are on the 30amp...I need to figure out my fridge, am going to do without the electric water heater and stick with propane apparently and other work arounds).

Image of area in question (sorry, it's flipped 90 degrees!):File Apr 20, 7 46 09 PM.jpg

danemayer

When you plug your 50 amp 4-prong shore power cord into a 30 amp receptacle, using an adapter, there should be power on both legs going into the coach. If one leg is dead, you probably have something wrong with the adapter, or maybe your shore power cord is not plugged in and locked at the coach end.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your 30 amp hookup should power the entire coach.
First I would reset the main breakers in case one happened to trip.
Then I would verify that the 30 to 50 amp dog bone is supplying to both legs on your coach.
Years ago I bought a dog bone that only supplied power to half of the coach. That lasted about a day.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Confusing. Your dog bone adapter should put the power down both legs in your rig. So if everything was working on 50 amp plug it should work when you put the adapter in to get the 30 amp to your 50 amp plug.

The bottom line is yes you should plug your converter into something that has power. Even if you have to run an extension cord out to the pole.

At at least until you can figure out what's wrong.

myla296

Both of your responses were REALLY helpful...after what you all said, I went back to take a picture and then noticed something: I should have mentioned I'm using a surge protector that has lights to indicate the power and it is indicating that I don't have leg 1, yet if I remove the cord from the camper, it indicates full power. So, maybe clean the prongs on the coach?

myla296

I tested by running the generator (50amp) and my vacuum worked again (which indicates to me that the leg was back, since my vacuum was out before). So, it seems that it's not the circuit breakers...I'm back at dirty plug (at the camper side).

danemayer

Both of your responses were REALLY helpful...after what you all said, I went back to take a picture and then noticed something: I should have mentioned I'm using a surge protector that has lights to indicate the power and it is indicating that I don't have leg 1, yet if I remove the cord from the camper, it indicates full power. So, maybe clean the prongs on the coach?

With the 30 amp adapter, you're only using 1 leg from the pedestal, so maybe that's why the surge protector shows only 1 leg in use.

If you have a meter, or another camper or the office has one, check power at the 4 prongs on the adapter, where your shore power cord plugs in. You should see 120V from each of the side prongs to ground.

myla296

The bottom line is yes you should plug your converter into something that has power. Even if you have to run an extension cord out to the pole.
Thanks! I went ahead and plugged the converter into the live outlet that was luckily right there (it's the one meant for an outdoor TV :)

myla296

With the 30 amp adapter, you're only using 1 leg from the pedestal, so maybe that's why the surge protector shows only 1 leg in use.
Good to know, I thought that I would be limited by my circuit breakers...but I had heard about the "legs" before, and that makes sense. One prong on my 50amp just isn't going to get power then?
If you have a meter, or another camper or the office has one, check power at the 4 prongs on the adapter, where your shore power cord plugs in. You should see 120V from each of the side prongs to ground.
I'm scared of the power at the pole using a multi-meter but...maybe I can test my cord at a nearby pole? (the next one over might be in reach...

Thanks for the great info and ideas!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good to know, I thought that I would be limited by my circuit breakers...but I had heard about the "legs" before, and that makes sense. One prong on my 50amp just isn't going to get power then?
I'm scared of the power at the pole using a multi-meter but...maybe I can test my cord at a nearby pole? (the next one over might be in reach...

Thanks for the great info and ideas!

If you're at a decent campground, ask the owner to check the power at the pedestal if you're not up to it. Done properly, a multi-meter will read the pedestal voltages without a problem.

hoefler

Does your adapter have a 30 amp and a 15/20 amp male plug?? If so, you are only going to get one hot leg.

myla296

Does your adapter have a 30 amp and a 15/20 amp male plug?? If so, you are only going to get one hot leg.

Thank you so much! I'm sorry I didn't come back on until now but I did follow what you said and did get a new adapter sans the mail plug and voila..everything is back. I learned a lot from everybody's suggestions and what not, so thanks to all!

myla296

Oh boy...now it seems that the converter has failed. Noticed cabin lights dimming...going to check voltage during daylight hours at batteries and converter. Oddly enough, the indicator light on my umbilical has gone out but the meter is spinning away so...it's working (air conditioner is proof). Anyway...wish me luck!