Texas - West Rally Date for 2017

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mark your calendars, the West Texas Chapter Rally will be March 17-19, 2017!

We are still working on a venue that will work for our West Texas members.

Hope you all can attend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Put up the kids and grandma. The 'Lil Guy' is on the way.
After 435 mi, had to stop in Ozona at the Econo lodge rv park. We'll take turns at watch. Normally a 1 star rating but with w/s/elec and after an all day drive I'll give it 5 stars. 175 treacherous miles left. If we don't show up early afternoon, call the police. See everyone tomorrow.

HornedToad

Lil Guy... the drive on I10 from Ozona to Alpine is almost as boring as the drive to El Paso.

A scenic route that's about the same distance would be down Hwy 163 to Comstock, driving along the infamous Devils River and passing over at Baker's Crossing where the paddlers put in. At Comstock you go West on Hwy 90 and cross over the Pecos River on one of the longest & highest bridges in Texas!!!

Be careful on 163 it doesn't have shoulders and you could run off the road gawking at the scenery.

EDIT: Baker... I lied, Google maps says it's an hour longer, maybe you could go home that way???

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok Frank, we'll hopefully see you tomorrow!

MCTalley

At Comstock you go West on Hwy 90 and cross over the Pecos River on one of the longest & highest bridges in Texas!!!

I had to share this because it was too funny. I thought I'd look at Google satellite view of the bridge. When I clicked on 3D view to get a better idea of the height of the bridge, I ended up with this fail. (That looks like a pretty steep grade on the east end of the bridge).

i-TBBb4KD-L.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That's on US 90, that is a nice route. We drove 90 from Del Rio to Van Horn with a stop down at Big Bend 2 weeks ago. A few long gradual grades but nothing serious. Need to stop at too at the Langtry visitors center and see the saloon of the "hanging judge" Roy Bean...
7a3c9ca1c646770d551ab65d7ee3b01c.jpg

River bed was pretty dry. Definitely not that much water!!!! And I'd say Google Earth is wacky there

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Frank, y'all there yet??? Hey would y'all ask what fer site we be on and police it up til we get there tomorrow???
LOL
See ya soon
Lyle