Manufactures warranty on doors pre delivery?

I will be a new owner come April 29th when I pick up my Gateway 3660 TB.
I completed an initial walk though a few days ago since this unit was a dealer transfer from a sister store.
Among the small details that need to be fixed, the second bath door is pretty scratched up near the bottom. The door frame trim, aka door jamb, was loose and wouldn't allow the door to close. So every time someone attempted to close it, the door was repeatedly scratched.

The dealer is saying I'm SOL since it's only cosmetic and isn't covered by heartland. They're just gonna use some filler. Same thing with some deep scratches on the interior fascia around the kitchen slide out.

should I be demanding they replace the door?

Thanks

danemayer

Hi FlyingJack,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The dealer is responsible for delivering a defect-free product to you before you sign the acceptance papers saying everything is in good condition. So if you want this fixed, either refinished or replaced, now's the time to insist that it be fixed. Once you sign the papers, you may be stuck with it.

The dealer will have to make the case to Heartland that the cause of the scratches on the door was a factory defect on the trim.

Whether the dealer ends up paying for the door to be fixed, or Heartland pays, shouldn't be your problem. You just expect a trailer in good condition.

Be aware however, that getting a new door may delay your purchase by several weeks at a minimum, unless there's another unit with a similar door that the dealer can use to complete your deal.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you can get pictures, you can contact Heartland and hear directly what they say. I discovered a dent in the corner of water heater door the day we did PDI. I didn't tell the dealer, (too much hassle at that point), but a few days later I called HL and sent a pic. They sent a new water heater door directly to me.

I would probably insist on a new door, but smaller stuff could E sent directly to you from HL if you are handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Just to clarify, the problem the dealer has is that scratches and scuff marks and the like can happen as people walk through the coach on the dealer lot, or at shows, or when repairs are being done. Cosmetic issues happening on the dealer lot are not uncommon. The longer a trailer is there, the more like it will have some signs of wear and tear.

Heartland no doubt views this type of cosmetic issue as something that happened after the trailer left the factory, and not as a manufacturing defect. As the warranty covers manufacturing defects, it's logical the warranty wouldn't cover this. But if the dealer believes it's due to an assembly problem, they need to convince Heartland of that in order to recover the cost of repair.

They might have done their filler repairs before showing you the trailer, but some dealers don't seem to like doing that.

TravelTiger

Just to clarify, the problem the dealer has is that scratches and scuff marks and the like can happen as people walk through the coach on the dealer lot, or at shows, or when repairs are being done. Cosmetic issues happening on the dealer lot are not uncommon. The longer a trailer is there, the more like it will have some signs of wear and tear.

Heartland no doubt views this type of cosmetic issue as something that happened after the trailer left the factory, and not as a manufacturing defect. As the warranty covers manufacturing defects, it's logical the warranty wouldn't cover this. But if the dealer believes it's due to an assembly problem, they need to convince Heartland of that in order to recover the cost of repair.

They might have done their filler repairs before showing you the trailer, but some dealers don't seem to like doing that.

Yes, but doesn't HL pay dealers to do a PDI, which is to catch assorted issues to make the coach ready for the buyer? Whether it's dealer or HL caused, the coach should not have those types of issues.

We're paying for NEW. Not used or "shopworn". If that's what they want to sell, then make them drop the price. ;)

danemayer

Yes, but doesn't HL pay dealers to do a PDI, which is to catch assorted issues to make the coach ready for the buyer? Whether it's dealer or HL caused, the coach should not have those types of issues.

We're paying for NEW. Not used or "shopworn". If that's what they want to sell, then make them drop the price. ;)

I agree that a new trailer should be defect free. I also agree that the dealer is wrong to tell the buyer that they're out of luck. Even worse to say that it's Heartland's policy that is hurting them.

The dealer is trying to weasel out of their responsibilities.

And if they start the relationship this way, you have to consider what the relationship will be like after they get your money.

There is a one inch scratch on the fascia next to the radio. Its obvious it was caused when installing the radio.
One of the cabinets in the kitchen is broken. That caused SEVERAL deep scratches on the moulding surrounding the kitchen slide.

The bath door being scratched like i said is from the door frame becoming loose and not allowing it to close.

One thing that has me confused is the master room slide out. On the outside of the slide, theres some screws going up, into the floor. About 8 of them, 4 on each side towards the edge. They aren't covered or coated and already show signs of rust. I haven't seen any other RVs with screws showing on the underside of the master room slide.

Just to be clear, the dealer didn't tell me directly I was SOL. Im the one that asked if I was SOL. He just agreed. I see it as the same thing.

Im out of town, but i have someone back home on their way to grab some pics of all these things for me. Ill post them up here when I get them.
For now, heres what I'm talking about on the kitchen cabinet. Should this be covered?

So i just received a call stating the dealer is refusing pictures of said items. I then called the dealer myself and spoke to the owner. He seems to think that Heartland won't do anything to make these items right. So, he told me I could see the RV on pickup. That I don't need pictures. He mentioned that if something could be done to have the door replaced and the moldings swapped out, they would've done it instead of their proposed solution of using filler.

This is getting irritating. Especially after i was told that heartland wouldn't listen to my concerns because I'm not the owner yet.

danemayer

So i just received a call stating the dealer is refusing pictures of said items. I then called the dealer myself and spoke to the owner. He seems to think that Heartland won't do anything to make these items right. So, he told me I could see the RV on pickup. That I don't need pictures. He mentioned that if something could be done to have the door replaced and the moldings swapped out, they would've done it instead of their proposed solution of using filler.

This is getting irritating. Especially after i was told that heartland wouldn't listen to my concerns because I'm not the owner yet.

Sounds like you have 3 choices at this point:

1. Call Heartland yourself to see if they will do anything - maybe they'll lean on the dealer, maybe they'll authorize warranty repairs, maybe they won't do anything. Phone calls are cheap. Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. If you have the VIN # for the unit, that would help.

2. Take the trailer as is.

3. Buy a different trailer.

MP_CS

I'm sure if you tell the dealer you're not buying the coach they will sing a differant tune.. When we purchased our sundance there was one major sticking point with ours, the front nosecap decal was clearly faded and looked terrible, salesman said when we signed the commitment they'd have it replaced, two weeks later right before we were going to pick it up i called to ask if everything was taken care of and specifically asked about the decal saleswomen said that HL wasn't covering it, i simply told her that i guess they were or there would be no way in heck i was buying the trailer.. It delayed our pickup by one week but the decal was changed at no cost to me.. I think the dealership will fix you're door if they want to make the sale..

Im already out $500 though. They said it was to cover delivery/prep, since its a dealer transfer. It'll be applied towards my down payment.
Its a bit hard to press on them with threats of me not purchasing.

avvidclif

I would have called the dealer at that point and said the sale was off. CUL. Can you imagine what getting warranty service from this dealer would be like after you buy it???

Can you spell non-existent?

brianlajoie

I put a deposit of $500 on a trailer I saw on the internet. I used a credit card to make that deposit. I hope you did too. I would tell your dealer that the trailer failed the inspection and you see no chance of the issues being corrected. If they don't refund the deposit, I would contact your credit card company and show them the documentation and dispute the charges. Why on earth would you want to work with a dealer who treats their potential customers this way. As others have said the post sales treatment will only be worse. I would run away from this deal and dealer.

TravelTiger

How can you lose the deposit, they are not delivering on their end to deliver a product ready for purchase. A product with damage and broken parts is unacceptable and not what you agreed to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk