Residential Not Freezing Down Like Our House Fridge

Squirlee

The maiden voyage is going well in the beautiful rockies.

One thing we noticed is our residential doesn't freeze down that hard. We plugged it in at home the night before leaving and had it running on battery on the way out. It has run another night now on shore power and the ice cream is just barely frozen and buns are softer than I would expect in the freezer. It is set to the coldest setting.

It's a Frigidaire residential. Are we expecting too much from the trailer fridge?

Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You should be able to achieve the temps the fridge is speced for. My Samsung runs at 0 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Are you sure it was actually running while you were on the road? When you unplugged from shore power before leaving, did you check to see if the frig was actually running.

After 12V power has been disconnected, for example when in storage, you have to manually start the inverter or the refrigerator won't get any power on the road.

Squirlee

Yes it was running off the 12 volt. I started the inverter with the remote switch, it beeped and the fridge started. It was running when we got to our destination too.

Thanks

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Something is not right. We've had our residential refer for over a year now and have had absolutely no problems with it. (knock on wood) Whether set up in camp or on the road ours has maintained a steady 37 degrees on the refer side and 0 degrees on the freezer side.

jbeletti

I see you have a 2015 Oakmont that was possibly produced in 2014. The reason I point this out is that at some point in the past, Heartland used to use metal buckles at the top of the refer case to latch it closed for travel. In some cases, the screws that hold those buckles to the refer case were screwed through a refrigerant line in the top front of the refer case.

If you do not have these sort of metal buckles on the top of your refer case - I am at a loss for why your freezer is not working right. For what it's worth, and this is not your issue, but the shelf above the ice bucket is the ice cream shelf. This is where it's coldest, as I understand it.

Squirlee

Thanks everyone. I don't see the metal bracket at the top so hopefully we don't have that problem.

Gonna put some thermometers in each compartment. That will give us a better idea of where we are at.